PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: SD Card Not Working When Inserted Into Computer - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SD Card Not Working When Inserted Into Computer

#1 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

I have a dell inspiron e1505 and I just recently installed vista on here. When I insert my SD card into the port nothing happens! I've tried to download a driver from dells website but my computer cannot seem to find the hardware. If I install windows xp on here it works just fine but then my cd drive wont work visa versa! I'm tired of searching for an answer that I can't find. So with vista my cd drive works but no sd card and with windows xp my cd drive doesnt work but my sd card works. Can somebody please please please please please please help me?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

Is this a new computer? If so, you might try contacting Dell and asking them. While their customer support is not what it used to be, it still might help.

Of course, we can still try to help, but trying multiple paths does not hurt.

Have you looking in the Device Manager (under XP...and what ever its equivalent is in Vista) and looked to see if there are any yellow question marks or exclamation points next to the items for the card reader or optical drive?

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:25 AM

I was unable to find an Inspiron e1505 on the Dell Support website. Is this a laptop or a desktop? You might want to go on the website and enter your service tag number (do not post it here). If it is a desktop the card reader is normally hooked to a USB port so would show up that way.

On a laptop with a built in SD card reader, it may show up differently. In Vista the device manager is found by clicking Start -> Control Panel -> System & Maintenance and in that window down toward the bottom under Device Manager, click on "View Hardware and Devices". In the list of devices, you should see this:

!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

The driver is in Windows and is dated summer of 2006.

The next question is are you sure that the SD card is a good one? If the card was removed from a device while it was on and active, the static charge could have destroyed it, just as in any flash drive. Do you have another reader that you can put the card into? If you do and it is good, you may have other problems. You have indicated a serious problem with your XP installation in that the optical drive does not work, yet does in Vista which indicates a software problem.

Another question is, Is this a new problems with the card reader?

#4 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:44 AM

This computer is an older model but it's only like maybe 3 years old. It is a laptop. Yes I have tried going into control panel, device driver etc and it still doesnt show up, it probably wont show up because I dont have a driver for it. There were a couple red flags but that was for my cd drive, everything else works besides my sd reader, still don't know. I appreciate you commenting though.

#5 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

This is a dell inspiron e1505 (At dells website it is Laptop>Inspiron>6400) I've entered the service tag, Ive looked in drivers and downloads from dells website and ive tried downloading all the urgent drivers. Ive gone into start>control panel>devicemanager etc, nothing about SD/mmcms/pro/xD reader... I know in fact it works because with windows xp on here it works fine but then I lose out on the built-in cd drive. I would rather have the cd drive than a sd reader. I just cannot win having both! I am not even sure that dell has or had a driver for the SD reader! They are so silly with all the computer talk I don't see why that cant just have a list of everything EXAMPLE: cd driver, sd reader driver, graphics accelerator driver etc... The card works fine in the camera and on my girlfriends HP laptop. I've just been putting pictures and videos on her computer and transfering them to mine via usb stick. This is not actually new, but I thought maybe I am just missing out on some information... This Dell laptop is one of the best in my oppinion besides having this issue, I have all kinds of software for recording music from guitar work on here to video editing work on here, I JUST WANT THIS TO WORK! I am really frustrated with this but I think it might actually be on dells end and their might be nothing I can do. I will take pictures of the steps I did so you can verify I am doing it correctly ie dells website, my computer, the start panel>control panel> etc... thanks i appreciate your help.

#6 User is offline   mcbarker 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

Which BIOS version is installed on your Inspiron? Version A17 is available for the e1505 running Vista. It may fix your problem, but if you decide to flash your BIOS, follow the instructions exactly to the letter.

There is also a Ricoh R5C832 Chipset driver update for Vista on Dell's site, which may fix your problem without having to update your BIOS.

Go to Dell's Support Site, click on Drivers & Downloads, enter Windows Vista in the Operating System option box, and look for updates which may apply to your laptop's new OS.

#7 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:22 PM

OH MAN!!! Gosh Darnit all! Apparently I have to replace my battery because it is depleted. I saved the Bios download from their website to my computer and it will NOT install because my battery has to be above 10%! CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? Well I hit a fork in the road. I will NOT be able to confirm anyones answer until I replace the battery. It might work and it might not until then I will have to order a new battery. I will go to radio shack and order the cells and replace the battery manually as it will save me money. Look it up youtube, there was a guy who saved a bundle of money doing it manually. THANKS! I appreciate your help, I guess I gotta run now. I will be trying everything until I find a solution.

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

If your laptop battery is depleted, simply plug it up to the AC adapter and let it charge overnight.

#9 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the advice but it is dead, depleted, done for, no good, zero, out... its three or four years old. If you have a laptop you will run into this problem too. It will not hold any type of charge. I know how to charge a battery. I could let it charge for a month and not get any more of what it's got. It is so bad that if you simply pull the cord out the back the computer shuts off.

#10 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

http://i267.photobuc...azter/dell8.jpg GO HERE AND LOOK FOR YOURSELF... THIS IS WHAT I UPLOADED FROM MY COMPUTER... Posted Image

#11 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

I do understand. I had to replace the battery on my 5 year old HP laptop two years ago. It was just that you said the battery was depleted, not that it wouldn't hold a charge. In fact I still have my old dead battery and use it when I am going to run it from the AC for an extended period of time as one bottom foot is on the battery cover so trying to run the laptop off the AC without the battery is possible, but the lappy then wobbles.

If you laptop is that old, it must have come with XP and that is the reason that Vista doesn't recognize it. If you can't find a driver for it from Dell, then an external card reader that uses the USB port may be the way you want to go. I have two (older one does not recognize SDHC) that I got at Sam's, but here is one from Newegg. They have others as well, including a white version of this one.

#12 User is offline   buckmazter420 

• Pip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Sweet, I was looking for one of these, but this one you showed me is pretty cheap or inexpensive as it probably isn't "cheap". Walmart has something similar that I am waiting for but it's sold out, only cost $11. If walmart won't get any more in by next week, then I will get one of these. Cool, thanks alot man!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users