• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to send multiple photos by e mail

#1 User is offline   arcticsid 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

I often recieve emails from my brother and also a friend of mine, bith use yahoo mail, as do I. Many times they send 10-30 pictures at one time. Yahoo has an attachment limit of 10MB per transmission. I looked at there attachments and their sizes are like 100kb, 200kb, etc, per photo, my average photo is like 1.25MB. theirs, and mine are both jpg images.

What gives? Is there a way for me to reduce the size of my images? How do they do it? They are both "non-geeks" and simply say, "I dunno, I just aatch them."

Curious to know how I too can send lots of photos at a time.

As Always, Thanks Alot

Arctic Sid

#2 User is offline   tek101 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

You can resize them first ...by VSO resizer ... You can also do a group resize ...Just click the whole folder "Don't open it" .

www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer/

Have fun.

#3 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

Photo Cropping works as long as you understand the basics. Resizing also works as long as you change the compression level from high to medium. Both of these methods can be done using GIMP

You can also use Photobucketand host your photos using links; however, this is probably not what you're wanting to do.

#4 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Picasa 3, which is free, be be aware, it is a whole Photo editing, storage, software that will be on your PC, yet it has some easy editing features with it, including resizing by clicking File/Export to Folder...in which you get this resizing screen. You can then send the photos from that resizing folder.
!http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/
1!

As far as sending multiple photos, I only know of sending all of them individually, unless you were to send them via a PowerPoint slide show. I will be intrested to see what other ways it can be done.

#5 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi Car,

I usually send my photos invididually too. When sending multiple's at once, you're able to attach four per message, but you'll hit the attachment limit if the photos are too big. Every once in a while it's easier just to resize the photos to reduce the headache.

Techie.

#6 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

And hello to you techie :) Thanks for the help, as articsid, I've wondered about that one too.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

arcticsid said:

I often recieve emails from my brother and also a friend of mine, bith use yahoo mail, as do I. Many times they send 10-30 pictures at one time. Yahoo has an attachment limit of 10MB per transmission. I looked at there attachments and their sizes are like 100kb, 200kb, etc, per photo, my average photo is like 1.25MB. theirs, and mine are both jpg images.

What gives? Is there a way for me to reduce the size of my images? How do they do it? They are both "non-geeks" and simply say, "I dunno, I just aatch them."

When dealing with photo files, there are several factors that can dictate size.

The first is file format. For your situation this appears to be a non-issue as both you and your friend or brother are using JPGs. That is the most common photo file format. One reason for that is that it is "generic" and the other is that it uses compression. Using a TIFF or BMP or RAW file format, OTOH, would not use compression and thus would be larger is all other factors are the same.

The second is size (which is generally dictated by the camera's amount of megapixels). The more megapixels your camera has, the larger the picture will be (both in file size and in height and width size). If you want to print out a picture on a larger size format, then you will need the larger size (or more megapixels). If all you are going to do is send it to a friend or relative for them to view on the screen or post to a website for viewing, the smaller sizes (less megapixels) are fine.

The last is compression level (if using JPG). When saving a JPG as a "new" version (i.e. you do a Save As...), you will be given the option of what level of compression you want to use. The more compression that you use, the smaller the file, but the worse the picture will look. The less compression you use, the better the picture will look, but the bigger the file will be.

The others have given you some software options. There are others (such as Photoshop or Photoshop Elements), but they gave some good options.

In general, I would say you want to keep the files as JPG. You will likely want to down size them some (a 1.25 MB picture sounds like something that was taken with about 4 or 5 megapixel camera or maybe a little larger...if all you need is to print 4x6 prints, then 2 megapixels is more than enough unless you crop the pictures). A 2 megapixel picture has a resolution of 1600x1200. In computer terms, that will generally fill any monitor full screen with a good picture. Thus, if all you are going to do is send for someone to view on screen, you could reduce that size dramatically and still have a decent picture for them to view. From there, if you want, you can further reduce size by upping the compression, but generally you should not need to do that too much.

#8 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Windows XP and Vista can both resize your photos when you mail them. This is a feature built into the operating system.

In Windows Explorer, select your photos, right-click one of the selected files, and select Send to->Mail Recipient. A dialog box will ask if you want to make the pictures smaller before you send them. If you choose to, Windows will create smaller versions of the photos and send them to your default email program.

Windows shrinks the photos by reducing their resolution. The resulting image will still look fine onscreen, but won't print too well.

Lincoln

#9 User is offline   JMushing 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:13 AM

Create a photo collage with 1 to 30 pictures and send as one attachement! Web 2.0 app, free and easy:

www.photovisi.com

Check it out!

#10 User is offline   PhilattheBeach 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

When I am sending 3 or 4 photos, I use Picasa, and send just like one of the other replies posted, using Picasa's Send Email button. But when sending lots of photos, I upload the photos at whatever resolution I choose, including full resolution of the original to Picasa Web Album, which is done easily through Picasa. Then you can send a link to that photo album to your e-mail recipient. When the e-mail reader clicks on the link, he is taken directly to the Picasa Web Album, and can look at each photo individually, or can watch a slideshow. They can also download a full resolution copy to their desktop for printing, if they wish.

Picasa is just one of many sites that do basically the same thing. I have also used Shutterfly in the same way, but I think that Picasa makes it even easier.

#11 User is offline   mjyunker 

• Pip

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

I use KodakGallery.com to publish my photo albums. It's free!! It removes the hassle of trying to email large picture files. I truly recommend using this feature. The blurb below is from the Kodak Gallery "About Us" file.

Kodak Gallery (www.kodakgallery.com), formerly known
as "Ofoto", is the leading online digital photo developing service. The
Kodakgallery.com site provides consumers with a secure and easy way to
view, store and share their photos with friends and family and get real
Kodak prints of their pictures. The site also provides free editing and
creative tools and specialty photo products.

#12 User is offline   Northlite 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:27 AM

I have been using Windows Live Photo Gallery because I can highlight groups of photos in one folder and resize them with a right mouse click and since I rarely save the original sized ones when they are for emailing or web I right mouse click on the originals which are still highlited and delete them. I have used Picasa but find Live to be slightly easier. The actual best way to share when you have a lot though is to upload to somewhere online like Picasa Web Album or Live Photos and then send links to the people you want to see them then, they do not have to download anything onto their computers or fill up their inbox. If you do post online with one of these two you don't have to resize before hand as you can pick what size you want them to upload as. Another program I have used alot is Infanview which is also free.

To say the lease there are many ways to do the chore but sending them as is from your camera is never a good idea since they will be to large for this.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users