Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Palm Pre

#1 User is offline   DTNick 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: PC World Editorial

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Check out our review of the Palm Pre and comment in this thread.

#2 User is offline   Lijero 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

Well, I think the review was well done... As all "reviews" are subjective, I like that you noted that the keyboard was a little tight for your fingers (albeit small hands). What physical keyboards do you use and like? I see that you mention blackberry, are there other keyboards you like/dislike?

Most reviewers at this point seem to be reviewing the device (whichever device is being reviewed) in comparison to some "perfect" mobile phone. This "perfect" phone differs from person to person, so it might be nice to have a definition of what you are looking for. Darla Mack, had a "perfect phone checklist" at one point so that you could see why she did/didn't like specific features. While I understand "perfect" is a moving target, does everyone realize tha, upon review, there likely will never be a perfect phone bacuse features are announced far in advance of their showing up on any device... Thus, we are always "wanting" that feature that has yet to be implemented in a production device...

On that note, what is your perfect phone's specifications?

#3 User is offline   GinnyMies 

• Group: PC World Editorial

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi Lijero,

My favorite QWERTY keyboards are on the following phones: BlackBerry Bold, HTC S743, Nokia E71x and all of the Sidekicks. I appreciate what Palm was trying to do with the keyboard from a design standpoint -- I think if it was a horizontally sliding keyboard, the phone would have been a lot thicker and longer. With a vertical keyboard, the Pre is super compact and slim. Reviews and pictures don't give it justice; it feels wonderful in hand and you can really tell that they put a lot of thought into the hardware's aesthetics. I wish they hadn't used that gummy material for the keys.

I think you're right that a lot of reviewers (myself included) always
refer to this mythic "perfect smartphone" without giving any sort of
indication of what "perfect" is. I have yet to find my "perfect" phone, but in terms of hardware, it would be a phone that had a solid full QWERTY keyboard, large multitouch display, removable memory and an open source OS. The Pre came pretty close as "perfect" for me as did the G1.

I had a lot of friends + PC World colleagues try the Pre's keyboard over my review time period and every single one of them expressed dislike for it. Its build quality, especially when compared to the rest of the phone's body simply feels cheap and as a bit of an afterthought. It is essentially the same keyboard as the Centro. If Palm is trying to revive their company with the Pre and start anew, I would think they'd innovate from that original design somewhat.

And like any device, I suspect that the more you use the Pre's keyboard, the easier it will get. I've been rocking a full touchscreen phone for a few months now and while I sorely miss a keyboard, I have become a lot better at typing lengthy messages on it.....but nothing as long as this response, of course.

Cheers,

Ginny
Staff Editor

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

GinnyMies said:

I think you're right that a lot of reviewers (myself included) always
refer to this mythic "perfect smartphone" without giving any sort of
indication of what "perfect" is. I have yet to find my "perfect" phone, but in terms of hardware, it would be a phone that had a solid full QWERTY keyboard, large multitouch display, removable memory and an open source OS. The Pre came pretty close as "perfect" for me as did the G1.

I think most reviewer compare products to both what they are used to (such is human nature) AND what they would like (i.e. their perfect phone). Which of those two get more "weight" in their review willing likely vary from reviewer to reviewer and they will also get "smushed" together at times (i.e. most of what you consider perfect could be also what you are used to).

And like any device, I suspect that the more you use the Pre's keyboard, the easier it will get. I've been rocking a full touchscreen phone for a few months now and while I sorely miss a keyboard, I have become a lot better at typing lengthy messages on it.....but nothing as long as this response, of course.

I definitely find this to be true. I have gotten MUCH better at using my Treo 755p's (and the previous Treo 650 and Treo 300 before) keyboard over the years...so much so that I have typed messages that might be similar in length to your post...not often, as it is still a pain in the rear, but I have on several occasions. Now, I absolutely DESPISED the on-screen keyboard of my iPod Touch (which is the same as the iPhone) when I first got it. While I still kind of hate it, I am much more tolerate of it and have gotten much more used to it...but it is probably the BIGGEST factor as to why I have not had any real inclination to go to the iPhone...and if the Pre is good enough and handles my other "key criteria" (removeable battery, tethering ability, useful third party apps including a working over wireless broadband Slingplayer, and useful multitasking) then it might be my next phone. It does help that I could stick with Sprint with it (which works for me just fine).

#5 User is offline   pencom 

• Pip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

The physical keyboard verses the on screen keyboard issue,
i.e., the Pre vs. the iPhone, is probably
going to be a moot point. This is really
nothing more then a software issue. If
Palm is not already working on or contracted out to have this software
developed, you can be almost 100% sure there are a number of third party, after
market software houses working on this as of this posting. This type of application is not terribly
complex. How the on screen keyboard application
looks and performs will depend on
whether or not Palm wants to do it in-house or just let the market provide the
solution. It would be roughly the same
for an aftermarket barcode / software application. Apple could, of course, equalize this by
offering a physical keyboard, but this does not appear to be in the offering
for the immediate future.

#6 User is offline   Mannyman 

• Pip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

GinnyMies wrote:
Since the camera lacks a dedicated shutter button, you have to press an on-screen button. Not having a physical shutter can create instability in the camera, thus producing blurry pictures. The best way to prevent that is to shoot with the keyboard out--steadying the phone is easier that way.

You use the spacebar as a shutter button instead of the on-screen button.

#7 User is offline   7even 

• Pip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

Has anyone read Palm's license agreement that you have to accept before you can use the Pre? I'm not sure I like it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users