Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Running programs from one computer to another

#1 User is offline   dwallace 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:33 AM

I am just getting started setting up a small network in our office. Since this is new to me I have a couple of issues before I get started. I purchased a wireless-N router and adaptors. I am only setting up two computers. My main question is we have a program that runs on one of the computers that is essential for our business. Windows XP is on both machines. Through the wireless network, can we run this program on the machine that doesn't have it installed or do we need to install the program on that machine also? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

dwallace said:

I am just getting started setting up a small network in our office. Since this is new to me I have a couple of issues before I get started. I purchased a wireless-N router and adaptors. I am only setting up two computers. My main question is we have a program that runs on one of the computers that is essential for our business. Windows XP is on both machines. Through the wireless network, can we run this program on the machine that doesn't have it installed or do we need to install the program on that machine also? Thanks.

It will likely depend on the program. Some "simple" program can do what you want with no "extra" work. On the other end of the spectrum, there are programs that are designed to run across networks and have kind of a "client"/"server" type setup.

But, your run of the mill program will present problems. Typically, they need some of their "support" files to be located on the "boot" drive of the machine that you want to run it on, which essentially means that you need to install it on that computer as well (after which you might be able to delete the main program file...but why bother after you went through all the work to install it). Thus, for many programs, it will not work so well.

And then there is the issue of licensing. Most computer software licenses only allow you to install and use the program on one computer. Some might allow you to install it on multiple computers as long as you only use it on one computer at a time. This, of course, assumes that you only have one license. Now, if this is a business, then I STRONGLY suggest you adhere to the licensing terms. I suggest this because software companies WILL go after companies that "pirate" software (i.e.install on more computers than you have licenses for). The BSA (Business Software Alliance) has a software piracy reporting "hotline"...all it takes is one disgruntled employee to report that your company is pirating software and you could be in a WORLD of hurt. Thus, anyone worth their salt with STRONGLY suggest that a business ensure that you only install a program on the proper number of computers...AND ensure that you have all the proof needed to prove that you are in complaince. Please forgive me if you knew all this already and are OK in terms of licensing.

Now, there is kind of a work around that you could consider. You could set it up to allow the one computer to remotely log into the other computer and control it with the likes of Remote Desktop or some such remote control program. In such as situation, you are still actually installing and running the program on only the one computer, but remotely controlling it with the other computer. The downside of this is that if someone is using the computer that has the software on it, then it will SEVERELY mess with them as it is basically the same as sitting there at the computer with software on it...i.e. the program will be in the foreground with changes happening in the program on the screen of the computer being shared. This will only really work if you install the application you want to share on a "spare" computer that no one uses.

#3 User is offline   dwallace 

• Pip

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks, that answers my question. What happened is I do have the program on another computer that has stopped working but to reload it we have to arrange for a support tech to come in since we do not have the bootable for it. I was going to transfer the HD to another computer but wanted to see if this workaround could be done. It looks like it will not so I will go ahead and replace the HD into the new machine. Thanks for your help. BTW: the licensing issue is good. I don't believe in pirating software either.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users