PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: "Side-Panels AD" very intrusive & annoying while using COMCAST' Email Account** - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Side-Panels AD" very intrusive & annoying while using COMCAST' Email Account**

#1 User is offline   Nice2know 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

Once you log into the COMCAST' Email account, then CLICK your INBOX, a "side-panel" pops onto your screen from the right-edge about 1/4th of the way with annoying ADs. Each time that you open an email, you must RE-CLICK the "GO-AWAY-ARROW" of the Side-Panel-Ad in order to retain full screen access. Is there a way to stop this so called COMCAST SMART SOFTWARE intrusion while using their email account?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

Unfortunately, when I tested it on my account, I could not find a way to turn it off.

As such, the options I can see are:

1) Try some of the various ad blocking programs/add-ons/etc. I will try Firefox with AdBlock Plus to see if it will help and post back.
2) Do NOT use Comcast's webmail...use an email client (such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Vista Mail, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc) to access your Comcast email account by way of POP.
3) Switch to another email account, such a Gmail or Yahoo or whatever.
4) Complain to Comcast about having to see their advertisements on your PAID account.
5) Just live with it.

#4 can really be done in combination of any of the others. And maybe they will tell you if there is a way to kill it...but my guess is that they will in essense tell you to go "pound sand".

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

OK, I did test it in Firefox with the AdBlock Plus add-on installed...it blocked the ad, but the sidebar still opened up...it was just blank.

It is possible that some script blocking function might kill it...but then it might also kill the functionality of the email stuff you DO want.

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:19 AM

N2K: This annoying programing that Comcast has inserted into even their most basic pages was one I had a hard time dealing with. Like you, the adblocker was able to eliminate it but it still left a blank window and I could not expand the other panel to either eliminate the empty space or at least minimize it. The only cure would be to dump Comcast and get a DSL from ATT or whoever is you phone provider. Good luck

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users