• You cannot reply to this topic

HP LaserJet 1012 and Windows 7

#21 User is offline   Skylion 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

View PostSkylion, on 14 January 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostWorkinOnIt, on 01 December 2009 - 05:32 AM, said:

OK, here's a solution I found to print to the HP laserjet 1012 from a Windows 7 machine over a network.

The problem is that the driver on the XP machine is not the same name as the driver installed on the Windows 7 machine. If you choose the option to install a networked printer you are not permitted to manually choose the driver.

The work-around is to create a local printer on the Windows 7 machine using a Local Port. When prompted, type in the name and path of the printer on the XP machine - \\ComputerName\PrinterName. Then, when prompted for a driver, choose the one that worked when the 1012 was connected directly to the Windows 7 machine's USB port (in my case it's the MS version of the LaserJet 3055 PCL5.)

Works!

Oh my my !!!
I just made it work also. I just got Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1012 (love this one ... it's my work horse) would not work.
This is how I made it work.
Install it at a "HP 1015" in Windows. You will see that it does not print.
After it has been installed .... go to your ---> Devices and Printers. Right Click on "HP LaserJet 1015" ---> Click on "Printer Properties ---> Choose the "Ports" Tab. From the list of Ports .... Choose "Dot4_001" with the Description: Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support.
Then click on "Apply"
Then Choose the Tab "General" in the same window ... and Click on "Print Test Page".

Wooooooo Hoooooo

Just say a prayer for me !!!
:)

That Stopped working for me after a couple of days. Whenever I would try to print something ... it would only print a line with "Unsupported Personality: PCL"

I tried this and it is working 100% fine:

Steve replied 2 months ago
the 1012 printer (listed as incompatible with win7) will work fine with the 1015 driver (listed as compatible) for basic printing.

1. you can plug your 1012 in, it will try to install itself and fail.
2. open "devices and printers" (you can type that into the start menu to find it)
3. it will show up as an "unspecified device". right-click and choose properties.
4. under the hardware tab, select the "generic IEEE..." function and click properties.
5. you have to click on "change settings" first for it to let you mess with the driver.
6. on the driver tab, click update driver and choose the "browse my computer..." option.
7. then choose the "let me pick from a list..." option.
8. choose "printers", then the HP LaserJet 1015 (it might complain about incompatibility).

it should install (and show up as) the laserjet 1015.

note: if you have vista, the available 1012 driver is very slow between pages. you can change that to the 1015 driver too to make it faster.

#22 User is offline   guambomb 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

View PostSkylion, on 14 January 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

OK, here's a solution I found to print to the HP laserjet 1012 from a Windows 7 machine over a network.

The problem is that the driver on the XP machine is not the same name as the driver installed on the Windows 7 machine. If you choose the option to install a networked printer you are not permitted to manually choose the driver.

The work-around is to create a local printer on the Windows 7 machine using a Local Port. When prompted, type in the name and path of the printer on the XP machine - \\ComputerName\PrinterName. Then, when prompted for a driver, choose the one that worked when the 1012 was connected directly to the Windows 7 machine's USB port (in my case it's the MS version of the LaserJet 3055 PCL5.)

Works!

Oh my my !!!
I just made it work also. I just got Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1012 (love this one ... it's my work horse) would not work.
This is how I made it work.
Install it at a "HP 1015" in Windows. You will see that it does not print.
After it has been installed .... go to your ---> Devices and Printers. Right Click on "HP LaserJet 1015" ---> Click on "Printer Properties ---> Choose the "Ports" Tab. From the list of Ports .... Choose "Dot4_001" with the Description: Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support.
Then click on "Apply"
Then Choose the Tab "General" in the same window ... and Click on "Print Test Page".

Wooooooo Hoooooo

Just say a prayer for me !!!
:)

Thanks skylion! That was real helpful! After I plugged in my 1012, all I needed to do was add printer, then change the port to "Dot4_001." Then Clicked print test page and presto! It printed! Thanks for saving me from 2 weeks of frustration!!

#23 User is offline   Lorf 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

Alright, I found the real fix for this so you can print at normal speed and not got the “Pesonality Not Supported: PCL” Error [For Advanced Users].

1. First off, go download HP’s LaserJet 1012 Host Based drivers.
64-bit: http://h20000.www2.h...Item=lj-67501-1
32-bit:
http://h20000.www2.h...5&swEnvOID=2093
2. Extract the driver.
3. Plug in and turn on your printer if you haven’t already.
4. Go to Start>Devices and Printers, and choose to add a printer
5. Choose to add a local printer
6. Choose Dot-4-usb printing support
7. Click Have Disk… on the next windows
8. Navigate to where you extracted the drivers, and choose the inf file
9. Choose the HP 1012 HB Driver
10. Follow the prompt till it installs the printer or what not

Now you may notice that it prints slow as heck, well no worries! To fix that do this.

1. Go to Start, right click Computer and choose Manage
2. Go to Device Manager
3. Find 1284.4 dot4usb Printing Support
4. Right click it and choose Update Driver
5. Choose ‘Browse my computer for driver software.‘
6. Choose USB Virtual Printing Support
7. Follow the prompt, exit out of Device Manager
8. Go to Start>Devices and Printers
9. Right click HP 1012 HB, choose Printer Properties
10. Go to the Port Tab, find Virtual USB Printing Support (Not dot4) and check that.
11. Click Ok.

Congratulations! Your printer isn’t an agonizing experience anymore!!

NOTE: The users in my environment reported that the printer after a restart showed up uninstalled but continued to print fine, so meh. Guess it can’t be perfect.

#24 User is offline   pcworld2p 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:35 PM

View PostLorf, on 11 February 2010 - 10:32 AM, said:

Alright, I found the real fix for this so you can print at normal speed and not got the “Pesonality Not Supported: PCL” Error [For Advanced Users].

32-bit:
2. Extract the driver.

Now you may notice that it prints slow as heck, well no worries! To fix that do this.

2. Go to Device Manager
10. Go to the Port Tab, find Virtual USB Printing Support (Not dot4) and check that.
11. Click Ok.

NOTE: The users in my environment reported that the printer after a restart showed up uninstalled but continued to print fine, so meh. Guess it can’t be perfect.

Thank you Lorf! :D

This solution for printing slow as heck is just what the doctor ordered. At least it's working great for me now. I'll have to monitor it over the coming weeks/months.

I was having this exact slow printing issue with my 1012. I just seemed odd that once HP released a driver for Vista/7 for the 1012 it made your printer actually work slower. That's one of the reasons I purchased the 1012, first page out in less than 8 seconds. It was ridiculous to wait almost 30 seconds for the 1st page to print with even more additional wait time (10-20 secs)between any additional pages. For a while I had been using some other vista driver workaround that printed fast but the double sided printing notification would kick my vista session into a different mode(I believe this had to do with the flip pages over notification being executed from the printing service which runs with true administrator privileges while most users do not in vista even if the user type is "administrator") which took a few seconds, to display the message and then switch back again. This switching also wasn't bug free, which was a pain at times when trying to print a double-sided job. Alas I think I have both fast printing and trouble free double-sided printing like back in the days of Windows XP.
I'll have to see if this works Win7 as well. I'm thinking it will.

My only differences were step 6. did not have the word "Virtual" in the selection & my printer does not show as uninstalled.

This post has been edited by pcworld2p: 26 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

#25 User is offline   rhann 

• Pip

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

32-bit:
2. Extract the driver.

2. Go to Device Manager
11. Click Ok.

Lorf... All I can say is "thank you, thank you, thank you." Your solution worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the clear procedure. I had been going crazy trying to figure out how to get my beloved 1012 working on the new system. MS was no help, telling me to let it intall automatically, which of course, it would NOT do. Looking on the Microsoft corporate pages was no help either. I don't know how you came up with this solution, but I am grateful you did. You have saved many persons from a nightmare situation.

Lew Hann

#26 User is offline   ross52066 

• Pip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

View Postrhann, on 01 June 2010 - 07:11 PM, said:

32-bit:
2. Extract the driver.

2. Go to Device Manager
11. Click Ok.

Lorf... All I can say is "thank you, thank you, thank you." Your solution worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the clear procedure. I had been going crazy trying to figure out how to get my beloved 1012 working on the new system. MS was no help, telling me to let it intall automatically, which of course, it would NOT do. Looking on the Microsoft corporate pages was no help either. I don't know how you came up with this solution, but I am grateful you did. You have saved many persons from a nightmare situation.

Lew Hann

What worked for me: HP LaserJet 2200 drivers for Windows 7 (PCL 5) and make sure you user DOT4 IEEE 1284.4.

#27 User is offline   Toronto1 

• Pip

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Works!

Great solution. I tried all sorts of other options but this one worked first time through. I picked 1015 from the list provided and bammo, test page printed perfectly. Thanks you so much for this solution.

#28 User is offline   Lumpola 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

This worked perfectly for me...

HP Universal Drivers

Use PLC5

This post has been edited by Lumpola: 12 November 2011 - 08:35 AM

#29 User is offline   SuperSamuraiBlades 

• GamePro
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

View PostBoomshadow, on 03 July 2009 - 08:55 PM, said:

I have an HP LaserJet 1012 that works fine in Windows XP (and networks just fine with Ubuntu and Mac laptops), but will not work with Windows 7. I tried installing the drivers first, and Windows 7 recognized the device by name...but not as a printer. So it wouldn't print. Then I tried uninstalling the drivers and just plugging the printer in on its own--same result.

Any suggestions? I've been told that the 1012 is a host-based printer and that it does not use PCL, which I find hard to accept because PCL came out several years before the 1012 did. It's embarrassing that Windows' vaunted backward compatibility isn't working in my favor here.

I too have a laser jet printer from HP. Did you try updating to the latest HP drivers for the printer? If not then you can do it right here, HP Support and type in your printer model and your OS to get your latest driver updates.
Posted Imageスーパーサムライブレード

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users