PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Cordless phone static caused by wireless modem? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cordless phone static caused by wireless modem?

#1 User is offline   jtmann 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:00 AM

I
just bought a new Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone set (4 handsets)
and recently subscribed to high speed DSL internet from my phone
company.
On my old corded/wired phones the phone connection audio qulaity was crystal clear.
On the new DECT cordless phones I am getting what I would describe as low to moderate static.
I
think (not sure..) that the phone company gavce me a "DSL filter" (??)
to cut down on this (its a plastic splitter type thing plugged in to
phone jack in wall and has two inputs one for modem and one for phone)
This statis is on all 4 handsets and I even tried a different brand/different V-Tech 4 handset set - same thing.
My question to the forum is:
1. Is this normal for DECT cordless phones?
2. If no, how can I fix this?
Many thanks
JT

#2 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

Jtmann: Welcome to PC World forums. No, this is not a common problem with static on the line when setting up a new connection with a DSL line. I think that you may have a bad RJ-11 connector in the cable or junction box for the cordless phone. This can be checked by wiggling the connector while listening to the phone. Pick up the phone, dial a "1" and it should be quiet. If you get static, moving the wire or connector should help you identify the bad connection. The line will only remain blank for ten or fiftrrn seconds and you'll have to hang up and redial a "1" again to continue tracking down the bad connector. The addition of the DSL blocker box to the line should not induce any noise or static. Good luck

#3 User is offline   maxxxxam 

• Pip

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

I recently had this problem with a panasonic phone. I had left the inline filter that I used the year before on the phone's line and had quite a bit of static when I replaced the filter with one of the new ones that came with the modem the static was cleared.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users