PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How do you remove Bing - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you remove Bing

#1 User is offline   jdk4 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7
  • Joined: 17-October 06

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Is there any one who can tell me how to remove Bing Brower

Thank

John
0

#2 User is offline   tek101 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 542
  • Joined: 05-April 09
  • Location:UCF

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:37 AM

Posted Image
Hi John. Its not a program ...its an "add-on" search engine .
You can set the default browser by any other provider ...Like Google search ...Yahoo ...Amazon....etc.....

ON the Top right conner : drop down the menu .. click : Manage search providers ....pick the one you like ...and set "as default" .....





Now ...If you want to get rid of "Bing home-page" ....:

Drop down Tool .....internet option......delete the current home-page and type in any site you want ....OK ....OK .....Done ....

Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   Flashorn 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,709
  • Joined: 19-May 07
  • Location:Canada

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:07 AM

Hey jd !!



Welcome to PCWorld Community !



A simpler way iis to click on the Little House on the right hand side

of your IE browser and choose what you want to delete.

Posted Image



FLASHORN.
0

#4 User is offline   gjl0120 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 29-July 09

Posted 29 July 2009 - 04:45 PM

I don't see it listed as a program nor is it listed as a search engine that I could delete.

I can change my hosts file but I want to be rid of Bing completely.
0

#5 User is offline   bbvammy 

  • Senior Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 783
  • Joined: 19-January 09

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

How to remove Bing?

How about remove Windows completely?

I can help.
0

#6 User is offline   Flashorn 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,709
  • Joined: 19-May 07
  • Location:Canada

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hey gj !!



OK, Bing is Not a browser, it is Not installed as a program , it doesn't Install

anything . it is simply a search engine like may others. (google , dogpile , alta vista ...)

All you have to do is follow either Tek's way of deleting the entry in Internet Options

or mine in the Little House where you can choose which page (engine ) or other

your browser opens in .



For instance, if you insert the address of a certain page or search engine in

Internet Explorer then this is how you would go about it .

Open IE 7 or 8 :

Click on Tools :

Click on Internet Options (bottom entry)

Enter the name(s) of the pages (engines) you would like IE 7 or 8 to open with

THEN click on the ``Use Current`` :

Posted Image



This is what will happen if you do it this way when you open IE 7 or 8. All of the three

addresses that I typed in the Box will ALL open at the same time.

Posted Image



Internet Explorer will open with the pages (engines) you inserted the addresses for.



BUT, if you would like to Delete one of the Pages (engines) then, all you would do is

erase one of the Addresses in that field (Box).



The Simpler way of doing the same thing is to do it Via the little House on the end of the Tab Bar .

(right hand side)

Posted Image



Click on the Add or Change Home Page and the one you do not want you simply delete

the entry for it.



There is No uninstall of these pages (engines) other than if you have a TOOL BAR installed

for say, Google.



If there is a step you wish to discuss or don`t understand , post back and I will be happy to

try and explain further .



FLASHORN. Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   gjl0120 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 29-July 09

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Oaky, for the record, I'm pretty conversant with PC's and browsers so we can work from an intermediate level.

I don't use IE, never really cared for it, instead I use Firefox.

Nowhere does it list Bing as a search engine to be deleted, nor does any MS product such as Live Search show as a search engine to be deleted.

I tried Bing and don't care for it, I'd like to restore my URL search to Yahoo rather than Bing.

As I mentioned, Bing is in stealth mode, it's not a program, not an application within Firefox, and not a search engine.

I can set my hosts file so that all reference to WWW.Bing.Com refer to Yahoo or whatever but I'd prefer to be rid of Bing once and for all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
0

#8 User is offline   Flashorn 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4,709
  • Joined: 19-May 07
  • Location:Canada

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hey gj !!



OK, sorry for the n00b thing but, who`s to know .



The only other place I can think of in Firefox that would have Bing in

Hiding is here :

Posted Image



Click on the entry ``Manage Search Engines `` and a Pop-Up will appear:



Posted Image



Other than those places, I can`t see where Bing would be hiding.



FLASHORN. Posted Image
0

#9 User is offline   JimH443 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,929
  • Joined: 06-May 07

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

gjl0120 said:

I tried Bing and don't care for it, I'd like to restore my URL search to Yahoo rather than Bing.


Unfortunately it was recently announced that in the MS-Yahoo deal, Bing will become the actual engine behind Yahoo searches. Pick Yahoo and you'll get Bing results anyway.
0

#10 User is offline   Dezembrr 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 26-February 10

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Finally found a way to avoid Bing popups!

I'm running IE8. Go to Tools, In Private Filtering Settings. Then scroll down the list until you find intellitxt.com. Highlight that (there were two on my list) and click the Block button. That removes all the underlined text that triggers the Bing popup.

Cheers!
0

#11 User is offline   Maro 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 02-March 10

Posted 04 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

View PostDezembrr, on 26 February 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

Finally found a way to avoid Bing popups!

I'm running IE8. Go to Tools, In Private Filtering Settings. Then scroll down the list until you find intellitxt.com. Highlight that (there were two on my list) and click the Block button. That removes all the underlined text that triggers the Bing popup.

Cheers!

Does anyone know where to find that in IE7? (Compatibility with my work program does not allow me to run IE8.) I have tried searching for it to no avail. The Bing popup comes up when I hit the letter B and then any other key that isn't a letter, and it is driving me batty. I have no idea how this got on my (new) computer. I really, really hate it. Bing is not my homepage and I have not knowingly downloaded it.

Thanks for any help!
0

#12 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,650
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

If you are running XP then go to control panel, Add Remove programs it will be listed ( Bing Bar); In Vista, Control Panel, Programs & Features ( Bing Bar).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#13 User is offline   backbuster 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: 18-June 09

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

View PostMaro, on 04 March 2010 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostDezembrr, on 26 February 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

Finally found a way to avoid Bing popups!

I'm running IE8. Go to Tools, In Private Filtering Settings. Then scroll down the list until you find intellitxt.com. Highlight that (there were two on my list) and click the Block button. That removes all the underlined text that triggers the Bing popup.

Cheers!

Does anyone know where to find that in IE7? (Compatibility with my work program does not allow me to run IE8.) I have tried searching for it to no avail. The Bing popup comes up when I hit the letter B and then any other key that isn't a letter, and it is driving me batty. I have no idea how this got on my (new) computer. I really, really hate it. Bing is not my homepage and I have not knowingly downloaded it.

Thanks for any help!

Have you tried using IE8 in compatibility mode? To use compatibility mode click the button that looks like a torn piece of paper on the right side of the address bar.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
0

#14 User is offline   Maro 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 02-March 10

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 04 March 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

If you are running XP then go to control panel, Add Remove programs it will be listed ( Bing Bar); In Vista, Control Panel, Programs & Features ( Bing Bar).

Thanks but the Control Panel was actually the first thing I went for. I have scrolled down it item by item and have not found anything that admits to being Bing.

I would expect it to be in the list of IE add-ons, but I don't see it, per se. There are some names there I don't recognize. Maybe I will disable them one by one and see what happens.

As far as running IE 8 in compatibility mode, tech support at work asked me to uninstall IE 8 and run IE 7, and sometimes it just doesn't pay to argue with them. I did try going back to IE 6 to see if I could get rid of the Bing popup but it still was there.

I have tried using the search function to look for bing or intellitxt in a file name or files containing the word, but no luck.

I really can't understand why this is so hard for me to locate. It is driving me crazy I tell you.
0

#15 User is offline   backbuster 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: 18-June 09

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

Don’t know if you have tried this so I will give a couple of suggestions. To change your default search provider in Internet Explorer; click the arrow to the right of the search box (the top right of the window), select Manage Search Providers, select the service provider you want then click set as default. While in Manage Search Providers you can turn off search suggestions; right click the search provider, then select disable suggestions. Make sure to select the check box to prevent programs from suggesting changes to your default search provider. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer and your new default search provider should work and the search suggestions should be off.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
0

#16 User is offline   Maro 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 02-March 10

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:43 AM

View Postbackbuster, on 04 March 2010 - 10:40 PM, said:

Don’t know if you have tried this so I will give a couple of suggestions. To change your default search provider in Internet Explorer; click the arrow to the right of the search box (the top right of the window), select Manage Search Providers, select the service provider you want then click set as default. While in Manage Search Providers you can turn off search suggestions; right click the search provider, then select disable suggestions. Make sure to select the check box to prevent programs from suggesting changes to your default search provider. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer and your new default search provider should work and the search suggestions should be off.

Thanks but I have already looked there. I don't have bing listed as a search provider at all, so I can't really turn off search suggestions. I also have looked in the add-on area and in Add and Remove Programs in the control panel, and I can't find bing. I have used to computer search function to do a general search for a file with bing in its name or within the fine and find nothing. Yet when ever I hit a b and then another non-letter key in ANY program the darn bing search box comes up. It is like it has put a key logger on me and I really, really don't like it.
0

#17 User is offline   backbuster 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 303
  • Joined: 18-June 09

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

View PostMaro, on 08 March 2010 - 10:43 AM, said:

View Postbackbuster, on 04 March 2010 - 10:40 PM, said:

Don’t know if you have tried this so I will give a couple of suggestions. To change your default search provider in Internet Explorer; click the arrow to the right of the search box (the top right of the window), select Manage Search Providers, select the service provider you want then click set as default. While in Manage Search Providers you can turn off search suggestions; right click the search provider, then select disable suggestions. Make sure to select the check box to prevent programs from suggesting changes to your default search provider. Close the window and restart Internet Explorer and your new default search provider should work and the search suggestions should be off.

Thanks but I have already looked there. I don't have bing listed as a search provider at all, so I can't really turn off search suggestions. I also have looked in the add-on area and in Add and Remove Programs in the control panel, and I can't find bing. I have used to computer search function to do a general search for a file with bing in its name or within the fine and find nothing. Yet when ever I hit a b and then another non-letter key in ANY program the darn bing search box comes up. It is like it has put a key logger on me and I really, really don't like it.

I would suggest that you try adding Bing as a search provider and then try to disable suggestions after it has been added.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
0

#18 User is offline   playtrombone 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 09-March 10

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

View Postjdk4, on 23 July 2009 - 03:34 PM, said:

Is there any one who can tell me how to remove Bing Brower

Thank

John


Go to Manage Add-ons and disable the Research browser extension. That will prevent IE from underlining items on web pages and giving you that damn Bing popup when you mouse over those words.

Gordon
0

#19 User is offline   Jamesb17 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5
  • Joined: 12-March 10

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

As a matter of fact you can not remove bing by using any of the normal way but you can add additional search provided and make one of them as default .

Here is a link to Microsoft explaining this procedure

Add Search Providers to Internet Explorer or disabling bing as default search provider
0

#20 User is offline   StarSong 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 21-April 10

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:34 AM

View PostJamesb17, on 13 April 2010 - 10:51 PM, said:

As a matter of fact you can not remove bing by using any of the normal way but you can add additional search provided and make one of them as default .

Here is a link to Microsoft explaining this procedure

Add Search Providers to Internet Explorer or disabling bing as default search provider


Thank you for this help... I was surfing around trying to disable those annoying Bing things. I stumbled on this thread and was able to ditch Bing, but then Konetra ads popped up!

I found the solution to that on (of all places) Wikipedia. Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontera

As of this moment, I am Bing and Konetra free. :)
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users