Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

hot cell phone..

#1 User is offline   netpda 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

I just got a high-end Nokia smartphone for work purposes. after years of using a cheap, basic cell phone that came free with my original 2-year cell phone carrier contract. I recently left the new Nokia smartphone in my car trunk and only later after a couple of hours had passed that the thought occured to me that leaving the new smartphone in my car trunk probably wasn't the best idea, given that an enclosed car can heat up quickly to extreme temperatures dangerous to kids and animals.

My question is this -- and it may be a silly one, I admit -- but any feedback would be appreciated: It was about 80 degrees outside on a partly cloudy day when I left in my car trunk the sophisticated Nokia smartphone that I just paid for -- left it for 2 (or at most 3) hours, which for a little while anyway, the car was partly shielded from direct sunlight, but was wondering did leaving it in the trunk under those conditions damage it in anyway or should the new cell still work OK in the future? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi,

I don't understand your post, "melted cell phone".

Is your phone melted?

If it is, it is not because you left it in the truck. You get more heat leaving it in the passenger area due to the effect of the sun's heat being magnafied by the glass and trapped by rolled up windows. I have left my phone in the passenger area but out of direct sunlight, like the glove box or center console.

If your phone is melted then I would say your battery malfuctioned and it and the phone needs replaced. If your phone looks fine, it is fine.

Leaving it in the truck is ok.

Rommel

#3 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

With the added computing power now being part of the newer SMART phones, the discharge rates on those small batteries is quite extreme. Being that there has been reported instances of the units getting quite hot during these maximum discharge occasions, it's not really advisable to place these units in HOT ambient temperatures and within an enclosed area where no signal is available. The roaming functions of the phone trying to find a viable cell site to connect to has shown extreme discharge rates that can deaden batteries in just a short few hours. Having placed it in a trunk, surrounded by metal, this would have been one of those places where a signal would have been impossible to establish, add in the high ambient temperatures and you could have come back to a burning hulk at worst and as you have inferred, a melted unit.

#4 User is offline   netpda 

• Pip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

Rommel,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. To answer your question or to clarify, the Nokia phone has not melted -- it has a steel body frame for one thing as I understand -- but rather a poor and hasty choice of words on my part for the subject line.

Rather, like I said, I realized, after leaving the Nokia smartphone in the car trunk for a couple of hours, that -- even on a 79-degree day -- temperatures can reach much higher than the outside reported temperature, but nothing on the Web I've seen so far has helped me in finding out exactly how hot it can or did get inside the car or trunk on the partly sunny day and more importantly whether however hot it did actually get inside negatively affected my new phone, which didn't come cheap.

(I read somewhere in the Nokia user guide that the battery should be kept between "59ºF and 77ºF" and that it reads in the owners manual "Do not store the device in hot areas. High temperatures can shorten the life of electronic devices, damage batteries, and warp or melt certain plastics" but that doesn't exactly tell me how hot my car trunk did get and how hot is too much for the cell phone to handle ?:| )

I realize I may be needlessly worrying but since this new cell phone for work was paid out of my own pocket after several years of getting by with a cheap one and given that the new Nokia smartphone is more complicated and feature-rich, I was wondering if it was harmed during its stay in the trunk and since it is relatively new, if there is anything I should do (warranty, get new one, etc.) if it was...

#5 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I would check your manual again to clarify the temps. 77 degrees is low. Thats like the phone is only suitable for spring and fall if you want to take it out doors.

Let me clarify my post. I always shut my phone off when not in use. Its a nokia 6133. I agree with the other post that extreme temps are dangerous. Follow your users guide. I know with my phone, parked with no shade, in the gym for hr or a little longer, windows cracked, my phone is alive and well 1 1/2 yrs later.

Remeber what the other poster said here as well that your phone is working, especially if searching for a signal, so that will add to its temp.

What you described and conditions you mentioned your phone is fine.

Satisfy your curiosity. Next time the same weather conditions exist. Reenact all conditions and throw a thermometer in the trunk. Read it when time is up.

Rommel

#6 User is offline   climberyao 

• Pip

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:42 AM

The temperature cellphone can stand describe in the mannual.If too high , the cellphone can not work well
Just love digitals

#7 User is offline   rjrex8 

• PipPip

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

the best way to minimize the cellphone to be hot is not placing the cellphone to your pocket instead place it in the bag or pouch. Because the temperature of our body affect our cellphone and that's why the cellphone should not place in our pocket. :mellow:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users