• Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 27 July 2009 - 08:46 AM

Post your comments for Rumored Apple Tablet is a Train Wreck here

#2 User is offline   jabberwolff 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

Apple never has had a tablet and probably never will.
Somethings are just not within their profit margin, thus just not worth it to Apple, no matter how much their fans clamor for it.
They, should get a PC!

#3 User is online   roymond 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Slow news day, I guess. This just shows why you're not an Apple designer.

#4 User is online   buddecj 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

Does every single blessed thing have to be an occasion for sarcasm? Whether the issue is global warming, Michelle Obama's hair or Apple's tablet PC there seems to be no one simply stating facts and opinion. This incessant need to say something snarky is just annoying.

#5 User is offline   DTNick 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: PC World Editorial

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

@roymond: What would an Apple designer do?
Me, I can't say I quite understand what Apple would achieve with a tablet. Outside the smartphone realm it seems like tablets never quite caught on. Maybe a media oriented one would be interesting, but why would I want to carry one around in place of a netbook or notebook, or an iPod touch? I'm not so sure.

#6 User is offline   avan1250 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

worst article ever, who gave you this job microsoft?

#7 User is offline   pcSimon 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

This is how you make judgements? Base on rumors?

#8 User is offline   michael407 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

I think that an apple tablet of that size would be a fantastic idea! especially if it is a larger version of the ipod. this i believe to be true for the following reasons:

1. as the population is growing older and must use reading glasses a larger screen would be a great asset.
2. a tablet screen about the size of a paperback would open up an unlimited source of reading. the touch screen feature would really be great in combination to this.
3. 3 party vendors would be happy to design a stand that would work in the kitchen when accessing recipes or videos.
4. wifi enabled tablet could be carried easily around the house, used with earphones in any room, outside or within any wifi area.
5. portability and large enough to read full web pages is really the best of solutions.
6. the larger Kindle is limited in black and white.. a color full internet wifi enabled device would open up the user to infinite information.

#9 User is offline   BlackFlame 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:27 AM

You're focusing on an outdated market for tablet PCs. What the new tablet would allow: portable Hulu, for one; if the screen is like the iPhone screen, it doesn't need to lay flat for optimal viewing. Also it would make a better e-reader than the Kindle, and make for easier point/click type browsing. It will also be a much better target for portable gaming, with more space for buttons, etc.

#10 User is offline   wwwmaster2000 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

“(((Note-taking in class is debatable since many people are better at typing than handwriting.)))” That’s not true. Journalists are probably more comfortable with typing now days. I type really fast and still when taking notes prefer to handwrite them down. Handwriting comes automatically. When typing, I still have to use some of my concentration specifically for the typing. Therefore, if Apple came up with the device that will let me to simply write things down and turn it into a typed up text that I could use, I will buy it and suggest it to everyone out there.
Thank you Apple.
Igor Vishnevskiy
Founder of www.wayby.com

#11 User is offline   floorvan 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

Michael Scalisi - IT manager knows it all. You don't even know what you're talking about. Apple bashers are getting really boring. Come up with something yourself instead of always insulting others.
The iPod was a trainwreck too, I suppose?

#12 User is online   TBuzz 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

How can a rumored & unannounced product be a Train Wreck? There are many factual products that can be written about here.

#13 User is offline   colonelpanic 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

Thank you, PC World, for providing a perfect example of why Apple does not hire obscure Windows-focused IT managers to design its products.
Your argument as to why a product line which you (none of us does) don't know anything about will assuredly fail hinges on the fact that it presumably does not have a stand on the back? That's the strongest argument you can make?
My principal regret is that this little-substantiated piece of nonjournalistic fluff will likely drive lots of traffic to your site today, thereby presenting PC World's editors with the false delusion that this author is great for traffic. Don't fall into that trap .. Mr. Scalisi will embarrass you again.

#14 User is offline   bergamot 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

Holy cow, what a non-article:

1) There are rumors that Apple will release a tablet soon. No one really knows what it'll do or for whom it's targeted.

2) So, let's just make up a bunch of stuff and then discuss why the made up thing will suck. And let's be snarky about it.

3) And then let's close by mentioning that maybe they'll do something unexpected that'll blow everyone's doors off.

Wow.

I agree with some of the earlier community comments. This sort of sarcastic editorializing based on nothing remotely substantiated is just kind of pointless.

#15 User is offline   colonelpanic 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

One of Michael Scalisi's long-ascended ancestors also wrote a little-known article in 1436 .. in it his Great^16 Grandfather states that Gutenberg's printing press will fail because the books it produces do not have a stand on the back and the viewing angle is therefore suboptimal.

#16 User is online   devdanke 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

I am not a big Apple fan. I recently tried to switch to a MacBook from Winux and didn't like it. I sold my MacBook.
However, I appreciate Apple's stupendous achievement of reinventing the smartphone market with the iPhone. The commericial success of the iPhone is astounding.
I believe the Apple tablet will be very, very popular. It'll be almost as popular as the iPhone. Here's why:
1) It will take over and redefine the ebook reader market. The semi popular Kindle won't last long after Apple's tablet is released.
2) Apple's tablet will also take over the in-car GPS navigation market. Apple's cool graphics and usability will blow Garmin & TomTom away.
3) There are a fair number of people who would rather do most of their input with hand-writing recognition, rather than the keyboard. I think Apple's tablet will offer this feature.
If you add up the number of users in the ebook, GPS navigation. tablet PC markets, that's a lot of people. This will make Apple's tablet another run away success and a game changer.
That's how I see it any way. I can hardly wait til it's released, so we can see whose guesses were most accurate.

#17 User is offline   dm1357 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

How about readers, as in people who like to read stuff? That seems like a pretty big "niche" to leave out. I'm very open to this device if it's done well, as Apple usually does. They obviously would need a solution to the laying flat problem, though. Too many multi-million $$ lawsuits from people with neck strain. ;)

#18 User is offline   Danny60 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:49 AM

Michael, do you not know a thing about Apple and the people who use their product? Graphic designers would love it, artist would love it and these are the people supporting Apple. Man you could not have been more off base with your review. You need a new line of work and something not dealing with computers.

#19 User is offline   axual 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

You really have no clue about what you write, so it's best just not to write about this topic. It's pure conjecture that Apple is even going to introduce a table.

#20 User is offline   axual 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:53 AM

... and whats' more, you are calling a rumor a train wreck.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users