Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bright white spots appear on LCD screen

#1 User is offline   gigi89 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

I have a Sony Vaio laptop series SZ460N that I bought 2 years ago. Lately I noticed that there are bright white spots starting to appear on the LCD screen. You can see the spots very clearly especially on white backgrounds. The people at Sony told me that it is dead pixels. I had them replaced a new LCD screen for me under warranty. I found out later that the screen they used to replace for me is a refurbished screen. Now about a week later, I discovered that this new screen also has bright white spots. I called Sony and they told me that they are not replacing another screen for me since it is just dead pixels. They also told me that dead pixels are common in all LCD screens.

I'm just wondering if this is true and has any of you guys, especially if you own a Sony Vaio laptop, experienced this problem. Is this problem serious and that it might do further damage to my laptop. Sony people told me just to deal with it since it is just a few dead pixels but it is annoying to see white spots appearing on the screen not to mention that this laptop was expensive to purchase. I don't see how I can deal with this problem especially with the amount of money I paid for it.

Can you give me some suggestions about what I can do in this situation. My warranty is almost over and I want to get this problem out of the way. Thanks.

#2 User is offline   quackadilly 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

Try gently rubbing the pixels. Sometimes they get stuck on or off and it just takes a little pressure to un-stick them. I've had that problem before and it fixed them right away.

If it doesn't fix it, (as long as you're within warranty) Sony needs to replace your screen.

#3 User is offline   istanbul 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:42 AM

Hi gigi89,i read an article regarding dead pixels,google'How to remove dead pixels from computer screen'and you'll come to the site.?ts easy to fix them.Good luck.

#4 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:47 PM

They should replace it again for you, especially when it's still under warranty. This kind of behavior is unexscusable.

I'm not an expert with LCD screens, but it is common for them to have develop dead pixels over time.

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Hey Gig !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

As you might know , a DEAD PIXEL cannot be fixed .It is a hardware related issue

and as such , the offending part has to be replaced, in this case, a LCD Panel.

A STUCK PIXEL , on the other hand , could be Unstuck with a small program

that is dedicated to this task. But, there is no garanty that Any of these methods

will succed in resolving your problem. Here is a site that "Might" help.

http://www.detector-...cd-monitor.html .

As a rule of thumb , 8 Dead Pixels have to be present in order for a reseler to

replace the defective part. If Sony has already replaced the LCD panel once

and the problem returns then, the OEM part is obviously defective but, keep

in mind that there Has to be a minimum of 8 Dead Pixels. Unfortunately, we

have had complaints from members about the support from Sony. This is all

the help I can be on this subject.

FLASHORN. Posted Image

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi, gigi.

Since you marked this as answered, would you mind telling us how? Did someone give you the right advise? Did you find it on your own? What was it?

Lincoln

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users