Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to stop the found the new hardware wizard

#1 User is offline   andreasandreou 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:20 AM

I installed my Hp 1515d printer using installation disk and and is working fine.

Every time i put in the USB plu in my laptop windows xp finds it the new hardware wizard screen appears.

How to stop xp from doing this?

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:33 AM

Hi Andrea and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

Before answering this question, I did a test for myself with surprising results. I expected to see the same issue you experience since printers are plug & play devices. However, upon reconnecting the printer, the Found New Hardware wizard did not appear. The printer simply reappeared in the Display Manager.

If I may ask, did you follow these exact steps when installing the printer:

- Made sure the printer was off and not connected to the printer

- Used the CD that came with the printer and installed the drivers and firmware that came with the printer

- When prompted by the installation process, connected the printer to the computer and then turned on the printer

- If not prompted by the installation process, turned off the computer, connected the printer to the computer, turned on the computer, and then turned on the printer

If you did not follow these exact steps I would recommend completely uninstalling the firmware and drivers for the printer and starting the process over.

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:07 AM

Andrea, I looked on the HP support page and the only "HP 1515" printer they listed had a n (for network) and it was a CP1515n which is a color laserjet. Is this an inkjet printer? If so it would be a Deskjet, Officejet or Photosmart printer and we need to know. It will say on the front panel.

Usually you only get that wizard the first time you connect anything and it has to search for drivers. Once installed, from then on the only indication you normally see is that if it is the only USB device connected the little icon to remove it is in the system tray (you do not need to use that process on a printer, only a flash drive or external printer). Otherwise, the only indication is that the text under printer icon in the printer folder will go from offline to ready.

It does sound as though it was never completely installed. If you have trouble uninstalling and reinstalling please post back.

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

From experience, if she has the disc then a reinstallation shouldn't be a problem. Without a disc and trying to install from the HP site is a dog. I have never been able to get a correct clean installation ( I lost the disc) that way. I can use the print functions and scan functions just fine, but it goes through the Windows Print / Scan utility. I have a replacement disc, but haven't gotten around to fooling with it. coastie

#5 User is offline   andreasandreou 

• Pip

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

Hi [~44270] .My printer is CP1515n and is showed in the printers and prints fine .

The only small problem as i said before if and when i unconnect and reconnect the USB the found new wizard appears and i have to cancel it

#6 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

The printing functionality (or lack thereof) of the printer would not be in question. The fact that the found new hardware wizard keeps popping up indicates that the drivers that are installed may not be the appropriate drivers for this particular printer.

Just to confirm, is this your printer:

Posted Image

If so, let's try something. Please completely uninstall all the applications and drivers associated with this printer. Do this from within the Add or Remove Programs utility under the Control Panel. Once completely uninstalled, disconnect the printer from the laptop and turn it off.

From the HP website, there are several smaller installations but this installation appears to be the full driver/firmware package:

Americas / Eastern Europe Full Software Solution

Once this is completed downloaded, double click on it to start the installation. At some point, the installation will prompt you to connect the printer and turn the printer on. Once you do that, the installation will continue. Once the installation is complete, you may be prompted to restart the computer. If so, restart the computer.

At this point the drivers and firmware for the printer should be completely installed. Open Device Manager (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager). Click View and then click Show Hidden Devices. Click the plus sign next to the Printers section and verify that the CP1515n printer is installed with no exclamation mark, question mark, or X.

Keep the Device Manager open and then open the Printers and Faxes utility. Verify that CP1515n is listed as an available printer. Right Click on the printer and then click Properties. Within the Properties section, click "Print Test Page" to verify that the printer can successfully print.

Once you have done all of this, disconnect the printer from the laptop. Check the Device Manager to verify that the CP1515n is not listed under the Printers section. At this point, it is up to you as to how long you want to wait before you reconnect the printer to the laptop. I ran two tests yesterday. On the first test, I reconnected immediately. On the second test, I waited 20 minutes. In either scenario, the Found New Hardware wizard did not appear and the printer just reappeared under the Device Manager.

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:39 AM

Hi Andrea, To add to what mph has said. In order to remove the existing drivers, I would recommend using REVOuninstaller www.REVOuninstaller.com as this will compltely remove it. In the registry files, be sure to remove ONLY those items in BOLD print. I have had nothing but problems with this HP Photosmart printer as on the install it gets to 96% and stops and will go no further. I am not the only person to have problems uninstalling and reinstalling HP stuff. Hopefully this will not be the case as the above app will completely remove all of the drivers. coastie

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users