Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfer Files To New Computer

#1 User is offline   rwroth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

I’m getting ready to setup my new desktop computer but could use some help in transferring files and programs (?) from the old PC that is still working but not up to par. From reading previous Forum suggestions, I see where it is suggested that I first remove pre-installed junk from the new PC (using PC De-Crapifier, is that right?) then install software that I want (e.g. anti-virus software, Quicken, TurboTax, etc) but how do I transfer files (& folders?) from the old PC that I want on the new? I have a transfer cable that I assume I can connect between USB ports of each computer, but is it a process of click & drag, or copy & paste? Is there some way to have a split screen on the new monitor that will show the files & folders on both computers so that I can click & drag files or folders? I’d rather not go thru an external drive if I don’t have to. The old computer has Windows XP and the new one Vista operating system. Also, where do I find my tax-return file within TurboTax and my various files within Quicken that need to be transferred?
Thanks,
Roy

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

View Postrwroth, on 27 August 2009 - 01:22 PM, said:

I’m getting ready to setup my new desktop computer but could use some help in transferring files and programs (?) from the old PC that is still working but not up to par. From reading previous Forum suggestions, I see where it is suggested that I first remove pre-installed junk from the new PC (using PC De-Crapifier, is that right?) then install software that I want (e.g. anti-virus software, Quicken, TurboTax, etc) but how do I transfer files (& folders?) from the old PC that I want on the new? I have a transfer cable that I assume I can connect between USB ports of each computer, but is it a process of click & drag, or copy & paste? Is there some way to have a split screen on the new monitor that will show the files & folders on both computers so that I can click & drag files or folders? I’d rather not go thru an external drive if I don’t have to. The old computer has Windows XP and the new one Vista operating system. Also, where do I find my tax-return file within TurboTax and my various files within Quicken that need to be transferred?
Thanks,
Roy

Generally speaking, it is a waste of time to try to transfer programs. You are likely just better off digging out your installation disks (assuming you still have them/know where they are) and just installing the programs on your new computer.

As to the files, there are multiple ways to "skin that cat", so to speak (hope you do not like cats :) ).

The easiest way would be to use either a USB flash drive or a USB hard drive to copy the files to the drive and then from the drive to the new computer. Even though this involves two steps, it is generally the easiest to handle and can actually still be the fastest many times. For this method, you can just use typical Windows copy/move files stuff (either the click & drag or copy/paste). A variation on this would be to burn the files to optical disk and then use the disk on the new computer. This will be slower than using an external drive, but does not mean buying an external drive if you do not have one.

You could also network the two computers together, share the drive/folder, and then copy the files from one computer to the other. Once you get it setup, it is rather easy...but getting it setup could be a pain. It should be straight forward and easy to setup, but sometimes Windows can get a bit "ornery" about setting up a network and sharing files (and printers). This seems to especially be true between an XP and Vista computer sometimes. I can be one of the faster methods...or one of the slower methods depending on what type of network you use and how "fast" it is. If you have a router that you use as part of your Internet connection, then you should have everything you need except for maybe another ethernet cable or two. Like for the external drive, you can use typical copy/move stuff to do this way.

Last you can try using a USB transfer cable. To do that, you will need some sort of program. Microsoft does offer Windows Easy Transfer that should work. It should be noted that Windows Easy Transfer should also work with a network connection, external hard drive, or CD/DVD.

As you where the TurboTax and Quicken files, they should either be in your My Documents folder or maybe in the programs' main folder (I am betting on My Documents).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

rwroth, I have the 2005 version, to find where all your Quicken files are, open Quicken, on the Menu bar click File, on the drop down click on the Find Quicken Files, this will bring up a search box, and if you just click on the default "find" (C:) it will show you the file locations, which are all pretty much the same place, Documents and Settings in XP. My Quicken Back-up is on Local Disc (Computer) (C:).

The main Folder location for Quicken is in Program Files.

This post has been edited by Car54: 31 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

#4 User is offline   tercac 

• Pip

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

Well I don't kno but this is what I do when i want to transfer, setting it up may take a couple of mins but everythin else is smooth sailing after that.
Get your old computer's hard drive and connect it to ur new one (as a secondary one) then just drag all the folders u wanna transfer.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users