• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I Keep A Webpage From Scrolling

#1 User is offline   makethisthingwork 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Hello,
My 8 year old son is getting frustrated playing http://www.starwars....aynow/livefire/ as the game requires use of the arrow keys to move the character. Unfortunately that also makes the webpage scroll up and down so the game moves off of the screen. How do I make the screen lock into place? Thank you!

#2 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

View Postmakethisthingwork, on 04 September 2009 - 04:08 PM, said:

Hello,
My 8 year old son is getting frustrated playing http://www.starwars....aynow/livefire/ as the game requires use of the arrow keys to move the character. Unfortunately that also makes the webpage scroll up and down so the game moves off of the screen. How do I make the screen lock into place? Thank you!

Usually clicking on the game screen will stop the scrolling. I found with this game using IE8 I had to use compatiblity view to make it work propperly.The first button to the right of the address bar is a button that looks like a torn paper, when you get to the site with the game click the button and the game should work better for you.

This post has been edited by backbuster: 04 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#3 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

View Postbackbuster, on 04 September 2009 - 05:45 PM, said:

Usually clicking on the game screen will stop the scrolling. I found with this game using IE8 I had to use compatiblity view to make it work propperly.The first button to the right of the address bar is a button that looks like a torn paper, when you get to the site with the game click the button and the game should work better for you.

Hi BackBuster. I have Internet Explorer 8. However, when I tested the compatibility mode feature while playing the game, the game screen (a smaller boxed window within the actual browser, still scrolled off the page. I even thought using the scroll lock would work but that failed as well.

Hello,

Hi makethisthingwork and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

There is no indication as to which browser you are using. However, I was able to get this game to play, without the page scrolling, while using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. If you are not partial to one specific browser, I would suggest using that browser instead. I played the game for five minutes and did not have to worry about the game area scrolling out of view.

Now, if you are partial to Internet Explorer, please let us know so we can continue troubleshooting this issue some more.

This post has been edited by mphenterprises: 05 September 2009 - 11:41 AM
Reason for edit: for grammar

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:31 PM

View Postmphenterprises, on 05 September 2009 - 11:41 AM, said:

View Postbackbuster, on 04 September 2009 - 05:45 PM, said:

Hi BackBuster. I have Internet Explorer 8. However, when I tested the compatibility mode feature while playing the game, the game screen (a smaller boxed window within the actual browser, still scrolled off the page. I even thought using the scroll lock would work but that failed as well.

Hello,

Hi makethisthingwork and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

There is no indication as to which browser you are using. However, I was able to get this game to play, without the page scrolling, while using the latest version of Mozilla Firefox. If you are not partial to one specific browser, I would suggest using that browser instead. I played the game for five minutes and did not have to worry about the game area scrolling out of view.

Now, if you are partial to Internet Explorer, please let us know so we can continue troubleshooting this issue some more.

It does seem to be a problem with IE. My son tried the game using Safari on his Mac and it worked fine,when he switched over to EI in windows on the same comp he had the same scrolling issue. I tried the game on my Windows comp and I had the same problem but as I said earlier when I turned on the compatibility mode it worked fine. I would suggest trying the compatiblity mode again the button should be "lit up" when compatibility mode is on, also IE will give a notice that Compatibility mode is on.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#5 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

View Postbackbuster, on 05 September 2009 - 12:31 PM, said:

I would suggest trying the compatiblity mode again the button should be "lit up" when compatibility mode is on, also IE will give a notice that Compatibility mode is on.

Since this is really makethisthingwork's thread and not mine, let's see what browser her son is using first. For all we know, it could be Internet Explorer 6. :blink:

I do have to say, it could be a very addictive game.

This post has been edited by mphenterprises: 05 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

View Postmphenterprises, on 05 September 2009 - 12:35 PM, said:

View Postbackbuster, on 05 September 2009 - 12:31 PM, said:

I would suggest trying the compatiblity mode again the button should be "lit up" when compatibility mode is on, also IE will give a notice that Compatibility mode is on.

Since this is really makethisthingwork's thread and not mine, let's see what browser her son is using first. For all we know, it could be Internet Explorer 6. :blink:

I do have to say, it could be a very addictive game.

Sorry about that I missread the posts I thought it was the original poster that was saying they tried IE8 not you. You are correct,we need to know what browser is being used to procceed.

#7 User is offline   Car54 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

I tried it with FireFox (I'm using 3.0.13, as it's been the most stable for me) and it worked perfectly. I tried it with Safari for Windows, and had the screen moving problem.

#8 User is offline   AuroraDizon 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:38 PM

I am currently using Google Chrome for refrence, but this looks like a flash game many of which has the ability to use the same keys you use on your browser for the game. Have you tried clicking on the game box (anywhere really) and trying to use your arrow keys from there. When it was loading if I was not clicked inside the box it would move the screen with the arrow keys but if I clicked on the box it would work.

Note if it doesn't work on your browser (clicking inside the game box) you can also move using the W A S D keys
http://i233.photobuc...vin-128x128.png
Obi-Wan Signature by Adama <3

#9 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:00 PM

Interesting. I had no problems at all with it except I didn't last long. :blink: The arrow keys worked fine and as Aurora suggested, WASD worked as well. My browser is an IE Hybrid ( MSN Explorer ).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#10 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:17 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 05 September 2009 - 05:00 PM, said:

My browser is an IE Hybrid ( MSN Explorer ).

Hi Coastie. What Internet Explorer version are you using?
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   makethisthingwork 

• Pip

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:27 AM

WOW, thank you everyone for your assistance! :) I am using IE8 but I do have firefox so I will have my son try that. Thank you!

#12 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

try using the scroll lock(ScrLk) key.

#13 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:57 PM

View Postpiyushsingh, on 06 September 2009 - 02:41 PM, said:

try using the scroll lock(ScrLk) key.

Hi Piyush. That was the first thing I tried. No dice. I think this has to do with Internet Explorer itself. It looks like only Coastie was able to play this game in Internet Explorer. Everyone else had one issue or another.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   piyushsingh 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

Hi Piyush. That was the first thing I tried. No dice. I think this has to do with Internet Explorer itself. It looks like only Coastie was able to play this game in Internet Explorer. Everyone else had one issue or another.

ok my bad. i should have read the initial posts.yeah it dint work. i tried the game one selecting the web page with mouse in the play area and then playing it with arrow keys didn't scrolled the page just as an earlier post mentions.

#15 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

View Postpiyushsingh, on 07 September 2009 - 01:55 PM, said:

ok my bad. i should have read the initial posts.yeah it dint work. i tried the game one selecting the web page with mouse in the play area and then playing it with arrow keys didn't scrolled the page just as an earlier post mentions.

OFF TOPIC: Piyush, welcome back :D

#16 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:21 PM

View Postmphenterprises, on 05 September 2009 - 06:17 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 05 September 2009 - 05:00 PM, said:

My browser is an IE Hybrid ( MSN Explorer ).

Hi Coastie. What Internet Explorer version are you using?

Hi mph, I was using the standard, MSN Explorer. I think it is a Hybrid IE. I have to go to IE8 in order to use some of the functions in this new software.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users