• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fallout 3

#41 User is offline   DenverGarkie 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:39 PM

View Postwaldojim, on 19 November 2009 - 06:42 PM, said:

note to all, should he have a quad core processor - I have found it necessary to limit the number of threads it creates to 2 threads. I am not sure why this is, and Bethedsa has not given any indication of WHY this is... but I have tested this now on 2 different quad cores (one Intel, one AMD) and both react the same way as the op... launch, get menu, crash.

however, after it is patched up, and limited to two cores, the game runs for HOURS on end without issue...

I got the same problem [i am running toshiba p500 windows 7 64 bit core i5 520m 2.4Ghz auto-overclocks to up to 3.2Ghz (2 physical cores 4 logical threads (that cannot in any way be disabled not in bios not in reg nowhere to be found that i could think of)) with 3 GB DDR3 system ram and a geforce GT 330m (core clock 575-735 Mhz, shader clock 1265-1500 Mhz) with 1 GB DDR3 dedicated ram clocked between 790-966 Mhz as well as 320 GBx2 hdd's] my desktop wich runs amd phenom 9500 quad with no hyperthreading + 8800 GTS runs fallout 3 just fine but when i run it on my laptop with hyperthreading fallout 3 only works if i disable the second physical core(leaving one core with two logical threads)and when i have all cores running i cannot set affinity for fallout3.exe fast enough before it crashes (about 12 seconds of in game time) and my program that creates an affinity profile for all executable programs(CPU-Control) does not recognize fallout 3
also trying to set core affinity through taskmgr with the game minimize while in main menu not only crashes fallout 3 but also taskmgr???

not attached is a screen shot of the error message for there was no error message other than fallout 3 has stopped working..... windows does not check for solutions

attached is detailed specs of my system (page 1 processor at a glance, page 4 hardware monitor, page 6 graphics hardware at a glance

another strange fact- call of duty modern warfare 2 runs perfect at full settings and at 1080p through hdmi and no problems with any other games

I have already beaten the game but i love playing it but hate having to restart my computer go into bios and disable core 1 and when it is only running on one core with 2 threads all other programs are laggy as well as system services

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by DenverGarkie: 29 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

#42 User is offline   DenverGarkie 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:13 PM

View Postkillersquidz, on 10 March 2010 - 08:24 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 10 March 2010 - 03:51 PM, said:

View Postkillersquidz, on 10 March 2010 - 02:03 PM, said:

I have the same problem as the OP and was wondering if anyone had a solution.
I get the exact same error message as well which provides no useful information. I've already tried reinstalling everything a few times now and I checked for updates on the game as well as the video card.

The model is an HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC
I'm trying to run the game on Windows Vista Home Premium edition 64 bit.
4 GB of RAM. Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz
I believe my video card is a Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

After speaking to a few people about the issue I am fairly certain that my video card is the problem. But if it is something else or if there is also another issue, help in identifying the problem(s) would be greatly appreciated.

To my knowledge, that thing won't run on ANY onboard Chipsets. I expect that is where our problem is.

Yeah I'm hoping that if I get a better video chip, or whatever the proper term is, that I can finally get it to work. And maybe I can actually run Crysis too. I've had that thing for like two years now and haven't had much luck at running it at more that one frame about every ten seconds.

to the best of my knowledge you cannot get a dedicated gpu on the hp dv4 series i dont believe you can change a laptops gpu and if you could i dont know if the socket woul support a card good enough

dv4 could come with geforce g105m from factory wich could enough to support crysis on minimum settings with ~ 29fps but most laptops that come with g105m do not have a good enough cpu to support crysis and many other popular games if yours is the new model from hp with the core 2 duo it may support it

#43 User is offline   DenverGarkie 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:27 PM

View Postasiafish, on 29 March 2010 - 06:10 PM, said:

View Postwaldojim, on 18 January 2010 - 06:46 PM, said:

View Postcoastie65, on 18 January 2010 - 05:30 PM, said:

View Postwaldojim, on 18 January 2010 - 03:59 PM, said:

wow... that is a major compatibility flaw if you ask me...

Yep. Looks like most of what I have on the shelf is dead in the water as far as Vista is concerned, or at least Vista 64 Bit. I did find a possible fix, but haven't tried it as yet. It involves modfying the installshield folder. I think Intel may have gotten a little too elaborate in the way the Core i7 handles processes ( 4 cores and two threads per core). It looks like 8 processors in performance in the Task Manager, but it is 8 threads. Anyway, most of the copywrites are through 2005 for the tools used to create it, which was before Vista. The problem I ran into was in the installation or lack of.

if you suspect the i7, then I would say try going into the bios, and disabling HyperThreading, that was always a mixed bag anyways, providing little performance gain, and sometimes killing performance... Either way, I would say try that, and maybe even try diabling cores down to a dual core.... then you get all of that out of the way.

usually though, I never had issues with the processor, it was permissions.

have you tried launching the installers as Admin?

I agree on the permissions. Mass Effect wouldn't launch on my ThinkPad running Vista or my MacBook pro running 7 until I launched the game as Administrator and then exited. After that it worked fine. Fallout 3 has been trouble free, but then, my ThinkPad was and MacBook is dual, not quad core.

on the permissions thing i ran it as admin, changed permissions to folders (all folders including game save data in microsoft roaming folder) so to remove all doubt i ran CMD(as admin) and emabled admin account (C:\Windows\system32>net user administrator /active:yes) installed in there ran it and it still only lasted about 10-30 seconds of in game sequence just enough for you to select your sex
found out that hyperthreading was dealing the fallout engine a big blow by constantly switching the processes between the logical cores using only 2 out of the 4 at a time

This post has been edited by DenverGarkie: 29 March 2010 - 09:29 PM

#44 User is offline   DenverGarkie 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:06 PM

View PostDenverGarkie, on 29 March 2010 - 08:39 PM, said:

View Postwaldojim, on 19 November 2009 - 06:42 PM, said:

note to all, should he have a quad core processor - I have found it necessary to limit the number of threads it creates to 2 threads. I am not sure why this is, and Bethedsa has not given any indication of WHY this is... but I have tested this now on 2 different quad cores (one Intel, one AMD) and both react the same way as the op... launch, get menu, crash.

however, after it is patched up, and limited to two cores, the game runs for HOURS on end without issue...

I got the same problem [i am running toshiba p500 windows 7 64 bit core i5 520m 2.4Ghz auto-overclocks to up to 3.2Ghz (2 physical cores 4 logical threads (that cannot in any way be disabled not in bios not in reg nowhere to be found that i could think of)) with 3 GB DDR3 system ram and a geforce GT 330m (core clock 575-735 Mhz, shader clock 1265-1500 Mhz) with 1 GB DDR3 dedicated ram clocked between 790-966 Mhz as well as 320 GBx2 hdd's] my desktop wich runs amd phenom 9500 quad with no hyperthreading + 8800 GTS runs fallout 3 just fine but when i run it on my laptop with hyperthreading fallout 3 only works if i disable the second physical core(leaving one core with two logical threads)and when i have all cores running i cannot set affinity for fallout3.exe fast enough before it crashes (about 12 seconds of in game time) and my program that creates an affinity profile for all executable programs(CPU-Control) does not recognize fallout 3
also trying to set core affinity through taskmgr with the game minimize while in main menu not only crashes fallout 3 but also taskmgr???

not attached is a screen shot of the error message for there was no error message other than fallout 3 has stopped working..... windows does not check for solutions

attached is detailed specs of my system (page 1 processor at a glance, page 4 hardware monitor, page 6 graphics hardware at a glance

another strange fact- call of duty modern warfare 2 runs perfect at full settings and at 1080p through hdmi and no problems with any other games

I have already beaten the game but i love playing it but hate having to restart my computer go into bios and disable core 1 and when it is only running on one core with 2 threads all other programs are laggy as well as system services

hot damn i figured it out you have to run taskmgr as admin then start the game but only go to the main menu, then minimize the game and right click on its .exe in taskmgr then go to properties(for some reason it seams to reset the properties if you dont do it this way or it just plain ignores them) then go to compadability then change settings for all users then check run program as admin, then go back to fallout3.exe rightclick then set priority to something above normal then right click again on fallout3.exe and set affinity(this time i dont get an error message of "in-correct handle) check the boxes of the first two cores and leave the last 2 or more unchecked now it doesn't crash at all with all 4 logical cores running though it is a little bit slower than with single core with 2 logic cores
for more performance you can select any other precesses you want and set their affinity to the cores that fallout3 is not using it wont make much of a difference but hey fallout 3 isnt using them why not have everything else use them

note* this fix has only been tested on my system toshiba p500 windows 7 64bit intel core i5 520m@2.92Ghz 3GB ddr3 ram geforce gt 330m 1GB DDR3 ram i also didnt think that changing the priority would make a difference but it did

This post has been edited by DenverGarkie: 29 March 2010 - 11:09 PM

#45 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

Well that's interesting. I have been running it on the eMachines. I will get some time in when I set that thing up to update the stuff as I don't have room for both ( The eMachines sits on the floor as it is ) and only one Monitor. Once I switch to the Emachines. I will stay on it for a few days, before switching back to the Gateway. I did go into the Processes and set the affinity for Fallout 3 to just 0 and 1 ( unchecked all the rest). I also had to go into the Install Shield folder and Delete a sub folder called Professional in order to install the thing ( The second disk with the add ons wouldn't install for some reason. In the eMachines, Once that disc was installed, I had to go in and drag it into the DATA folder and then at the Strt up screen click on DATA and check all the boxes to get the add ons.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#46 User is offline   DenverGarkie 

• Pip

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

coastie65
i dont know what the difference is between the original version and the GOTY version, which i need to get by the way, and why would you have to remove professional folder? and i cant think of why the second disk didnt automatically install all of the patches unless you had bought the original version and then later tried to install the second disk of the goty version and the cd keys didnt match but i dont know if bethesda created the goty DVD's as a pair( as in flight simulator series or need for speed where multiple disks are required to install) or as two separate install disks 1 install disk and one patch disk
if it is the first case i would say you would have to un-install the first version but leave the saved game data and settings and reinstall with disks from the goty version but i seriously doubt bethesda created it that way,,,, it wouldnt surprise me if it came from apple though

and for you single monitor issue use a video switcher
http://www.newegg.co...2-083-_-Product

#47 User is offline   DenverGarkie 

• Pip

Posted 30 March 2010 - 01:26 PM

coastie65
how do you get you specs to automatically show on your posts?

#48 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

View PostDenverGarkie, on 30 March 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

coastie65
how do you get you specs to automatically show on your posts?

Go to your profile and put them in your Signature.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#49 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:12 AM

For those who have found that limiting the game to TWO cores WORKS, here is the permanent solution.

SOURCE:http://www.tweakguides.com/Fallout3_8.html

Fallout 3 has two main .ini files which hold all of its key settings. These are the Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini files, both found under the \Documents and settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\ directory in Windows XP, or the \Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Fallout3\ directory in Windows Vista. You can edit these files using a standard text editor like Windows Notepad. Before altering either of these files, I strongly recommend making backup copies of each and storing them somewhere safe. Note that if at any time you wish to return your .ini files to their default settings, simply delete them and the next time you launch Fallout 3 it will automatically recreate them with the default options - though obviously you will lose all your customizations. If you just want to see what the default settings are at any time, refer to the Fallout_default.ini file found under the \Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3 directory, however do not delete or edit this file in any way.

Some dual core and quad core CPU users have said that by inserting a new command iNumHWThreads=2 under the General section of Fallout.ini, and setting it to a value of 1, 2 or 4, this prevents freezing at certain points in the game. In practice this setting should not be required, as it appears to restrict the number of threads used by the game, however you can experiment with different values depending on how many cores of your CPU you want the game to use.

This post has been edited by waldojim: 31 March 2010 - 02:13 AM

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#50 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

View PostDenverGarkie, on 30 March 2010 - 01:23 PM, said:

coastie65
i dont know what the difference is between the original version and the GOTY version, which i need to get by the way, and why would you have to remove professional folder? and i cant think of why the second disk didnt automatically install all of the patches unless you had bought the original version and then later tried to install the second disk of the goty version and the cd keys didnt match but i dont know if bethesda created the goty DVD's as a pair( as in flight simulator series or need for speed where multiple disks are required to install) or as two separate install disks 1 install disk and one patch disk
if it is the first case i would say you would have to un-install the first version but leave the saved game data and settings and reinstall with disks from the goty version but i seriously doubt bethesda created it that way,,,, it wouldnt surprise me if it came from apple though

and for you single monitor issue use a video switcher
http://www.newegg.co...2-083-_-Product

Could use a switcher, but it isn't too bad as it doesn't take long to make the switch anyway. As for the diference between Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition, in the GOTY Edition all the add ons are included, "The Pitt" , " Mothership Zeta", "Operation Anchorage", "point Lookout", and "Broken Steel". Broken Steel takes place after the main quest has been completed and is a rather long add on, or so I've heard ( I haven't done it yet). As for the installation of the second disc, you are supposed to use the "Live" Option on the start page. I did an end around in that It installed on the eMachines and after I Installed it, I noticed that certain things were missing and I needed to enable that portion. I went into the Fallout 3 folder and found the files and draaged them in the the Data folder. On the start page, I clicked the "Data" Option and there were the Add Ons. I checked them all and then started the game and watched as all the stuff came up that was supposed to as it was added to the game. Primarily a Boat dock is added ( Point Lookout) and at least two more Radio Stations ( The Pitt & Operation Anchorage ) and an emergency broadcast ( Mothership Zeta).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users