• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Software To Mirror/copy Hard Drive

#1 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

How can i make an exact duplicate of my current hard drive? I am getting a new drive since my current drive is too small, and i just want to mirror my current drive. What software is best?

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

View Postpinkston32, on 25 September 2009 - 08:08 AM, said:

How can i make an exact duplicate of my current hard drive? I am getting a new drive since my current drive is too small, and i just want to mirror my current drive. What software is best?

Hey pinkston !!

here is a link to a site I visit often for reviews of software . Ashraf has reviewed a few back-up , cloning apps.
Maybe take a look and see if anything hits your fancy.

http://dottech.org/featured/6194

From what I can tell Macrium Reflect is a popular one.

Here's another one to keep you busy :

http://www.techsuppo...ing-program.htm

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thank you! I will try Macrium, im glad it works on Windows 7! I already got Driveimage XML.

View PostFlashorn, on 25 September 2009 - 02:11 PM, said:

Hey pinkston !!

here is a link to a site I visit often for reviews of software . Ashraf has reviewed a few back-up , cloning apps.
Maybe take a look and see if anything hits your fancy.

http://dottech.org/featured/6194

From what I can tell Macrium Reflect is a popular one.

Here's another one to keep you busy :

http://www.techsuppo...ing-program.htm

FLASHORN.

This post has been edited by pinkston32: 25 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hi, Here is a FREE one : http://www.thefreeco...pandimage.shtml another Paid software that comes to mind is Acronis. coastie
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thanks, i got the first one on there, Macrium Reflect. BTW, do these work with esata? I paid extra for a decent hard drive enclosure with esata since it is considerably faster. I'll check the site.

EDIT: The site doesn't say anything about esata. I haven't' received the drive yet, but i'll hope for the best.

View Postcoastie65, on 25 September 2009 - 03:37 PM, said:

Hi, Here is a FREE one : http://www.thefreeco...pandimage.shtml another Paid software that comes to mind is Acronis. coastie

This post has been edited by pinkston32: 25 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

#6 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2009 - 12:11 PM

View Postpinkston32, on 25 September 2009 - 03:42 PM, said:

Thanks, i got the first one on there, Macrium Reflect. BTW, do these work with esata? I paid extra for a decent hard drive enclosure with esata since it is considerably faster. I'll check the site.

EDIT: The site doesn't say anything about esata. I haven't' received the drive yet, but i'll hope for the best.

You can always see and try if Esata works ;)

#7 User is offline   KStrawn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

View Posttechie4fun, on 26 September 2009 - 12:11 PM, said:

You can always see and try if Esata works ;)

In Linux, you can just use the DD command, like so in this example iteration:

dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/home/username/Desktop/myimage.img

if you have a SATA drive, that is, and

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/home/username/Desktop/myimage.img

if you have an IDE drive.

This post has been edited by KStrawn: 26 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

Best regards,

-Kenny Strawn

#8 User is offline   rickblackmon 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:41 AM

Have you taken a look at the Western Digital MyBook Mirror USB portable drive? It has 2 drives, that can be configured RAID 0 for one big drive or RAID 1 that will put a mirror of everything you put on one drive onto the other drive. You would be getting an auto backup, which is the kind I need because my current b/u is over 6 months old.

This post has been edited by rickblackmon: 27 September 2009 - 07:48 AM

#9 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

I would do that, but i don't need that much space and i don't want to spend much. That reminds me, what is good software to keep the backup up to date? The main reason i got a portable hard drive is because i'm clearing the old one that i'm sending back to the manufacture in my laptop for repairs. when it gets back, i'll just pop the new, larger drive in.

View Postrickblackmon, on 27 September 2009 - 07:41 AM, said:

Have you taken a look at the
 http://usbportabledrives.com/western-digital-portable-usb-hard-drive-reviews/wd-my-book-mirror">Western Digital MyBook Mirror USB Portable Drive
? It has 2 drives, that can be configured RAID 0 for one big drive or RAID 1 that will put a mirror of everything you put on one drive onto the other drive. You would be getting an auto backup, which is the kind I need because my current b/u is over 6 months old.

#10 User is offline   KStrawn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

View Postpinkston32, on 27 September 2009 - 07:49 AM, said:

I would do that, but i don't need that much space and i don't want to spend much. That reminds me, what is good software to keep the backup up to date? The main reason i got a portable hard drive is because i'm clearing the old one that i'm sending back to the manufacture in my laptop for repairs. when it gets back, i'll just pop the new, larger drive in.

http://usbportabledrives.com/western-digital-portable-usb-hard-drive-reviews/wd-my-book-mirror">Western Digital MyBook Mirror USB Portable Drive
? It has 2 drives, that can be configured RAID 0 for one big drive or RAID 1 that will put a mirror of everything you put on one drive onto the other drive. You would be getting an auto backup, which is the kind I need because my current b/u is over 6 months old.

What operating system do you have? Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux? If you picked either one of the two that aren't Windows, then the DD command listed above is for you.
Best regards,

-Kenny Strawn

#11 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

I'm on Windows 7 RC.

View PostKStrawn, on 27 September 2009 - 11:36 AM, said:

What operating system do you have? Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux? If you picked either one of the two that aren't Windows, then the DD command listed above is for you.

#12 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:10 PM

Any cloning software should work fine with eSATA as it is nominally the same as an internal SATA drive, just an external connector.

USB connections will be the more problematic one. I do know that Acronis True Image will work with a USB drive as that I what I use.

And the latest version of True Image supposedly support Windows 7.

The big advantage of an eSATA connection over a USB connection is that you should definitely be able to boot from the eSATA external drive, while you might not be able to do so with a USB drive (some computers can...others cannot).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#13 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

View Postsmax013, on 14 October 2009 - 06:10 PM, said:

Any cloning software should work fine with eSATA as it is nominally the same as an internal SATA drive, just an external connector.

USB connections will be the more problematic one. I do know that Acronis True Image will work with a USB drive as that I what I use.

And the latest version of True Image supposedly support Windows 7.

The big advantage of an eSATA connection over a USB connection is that you should definitely be able to boot from the eSATA external drive, while you might not be able to do so with a USB drive (some computers can...others cannot).

In another thread Lincoln Spector pointed out that Windows will not boot from a USB drive. The BIOS on the machine can be set to boot from the USB drive, but Windows just won't boot. The other thread was about just that problem.

Acronis will clone a HD to an internal HD or one connected via the USB port. It will even clone to a Western Digital Passport (I did it years ago as an experiment from an XP laptop).

An external drive connected via eSATA is connected directly to the HD controller, not the USB header. It shows up in the BIOS and boot menu as any other drive (using the HD model that is inside). However, in Computer it shows up as an external drive which may preclude Windows from booting. However, if you use the cloning software to clone from the internal notebook drive to the external, you then remove the new larger drive from the external enclosure and boot the machine. I would even do that just to be sure the clone is viable before you send the machine back. Once you have verified that the clone is viable, then clean off the old drive, reinstall it and send the machine in for repair.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

View Postrgreen4, on 14 October 2009 - 07:26 PM, said:

In another thread Lincoln Spector pointed out that Windows will not boot from a USB drive. The BIOS on the machine can be set to boot from the USB drive, but Windows just won't boot. The other thread was about just that problem.

I am not sure if this is completely true. I have seen stuff from people who have claimed to have booted Windows from a USB drive...nothing that I can directly confirm...and even in those cases, it was a MAJOR pain in the rear from what I recall.

If I get some time, maybe I will try an experiment...

An external drive connected via eSATA is connected directly to the HD controller, not the USB header. It shows up in the BIOS and boot menu as any other drive (using the HD model that is inside). However, in Computer it shows up as an external drive which may preclude Windows from booting. However, if you use the cloning software to clone from the internal notebook drive to the external, you then remove the new larger drive from the external enclosure and boot the machine. I would even do that just to be sure the clone is viable before you send the machine back. Once you have verified that the clone is viable, then clean off the old drive, reinstall it and send the machine in for repair.

From what I recall, on my desktop, my eSATA drives have always shown up as internal drives, not external ones. Now, I have not checked one recently (I am due for a clone backup of my various boot drives), so I could be recalling incorrectly.

I am darn sure that I was able to boot off the eSATA drive, but again I have not tried it recently.

It could be due to how I have my eSATA connection setup...they are all just "brackets" that are essentially just a "conversion" cable that converts an internal SATA port to an eSATA connector on a bracket. Thus, to the computer and the OS, the drives just appears as an internal SATA drive, I believe. It is possible that a "true" dedicated eSATA port on a computer might behave differently.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#15 User is offline   KStrawn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

View Postpinkston32, on 27 September 2009 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'm on Windows 7 RC.

View PostKStrawn, on 27 September 2009 - 11:36 AM, said:

In Windows 7 RC, you're out of luck if you want to clone your HDD. Of course, you could easily right-drag your home folder (C:\Users\[username]\) to an external drive, and then select "Copy". Windows Explorer will do the rest. But as far as cloning the disk, OS and all, you're out of luck.

This post has been edited by KStrawn: 15 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Best regards,

-Kenny Strawn

#16 User is offline   pinkston32 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

No, i cloned it. I ended up using Seagate Diskwizard, which is a version of Acronis. Macrium didnt work for me. But yeah, im using the new drive now after cloning it. BTW, esta never worked so i just used usb.

View PostKStrawn, on 15 October 2009 - 12:30 PM, said:

View Postpinkston32, on 27 September 2009 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'm on Windows 7 RC.

In Windows 7 RC, you're out of luck if you want to clone your HDD. Of course, you could easily right-drag your home folder (C:\Users\[username]\) to an external drive, and then select "Copy". Windows Explorer will do the rest. But as far as cloning the disk, OS and all, you're out of luck.

#17 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:54 PM

I am curious...what do you base this statement on?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#18 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

Very incorrect. I have cloned a Windows 7 RC drive and booted from it. In fact, I am using that machine to enter this reply. The version used was Acronis True Image Home 2009. I started with True Image Home 10, but had some minor inconsistencies with Vista, but ran beautifully from the CD. (It even clones a Linux disc when run from the CD). I got the upgrade to version 11, and it runs fine on Vista.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

View Postsmax013, on 15 October 2009 - 09:19 AM, said:

I am not sure if this is completely true. I have seen stuff from people who have claimed to have booted Windows from a USB drive...nothing that I can directly confirm...and even in those cases, it was a MAJOR pain in the rear from what I recall.

Hi guys. I am testing this right now. I can tell you, at least to this point, installing/booting into Windows XP is at the very least plausible. I have a bootable version of Windows XP on a USB flash drive. The computer I want to test it on can boot from the USB; however, there may be something I am missing in the BIOS to complete the process.

I was prompted with the appropriate Text Install/GUI Install options when I connected the flash drive to this laptop. I will keep you all posted.

**I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...**

This post has been edited by mphenterprises: 17 October 2009 - 06:04 AM
Reason for edit: corrected quote formatting

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

View Postmphenterprises, on 17 October 2009 - 06:03 AM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 15 October 2009 - 09:19 AM, said:

Hi guys. I am testing this right now. I can tell you, at least to this point, installing/booting into Windows XP is at the very least plausible. I have a bootable version of Windows XP on a USB flash drive. The computer I want to test it on can boot from the USB; however, there may be something I am missing in the BIOS to complete the process.

I was prompted with the appropriate Text Install/GUI Install options when I connected the flash drive to this laptop. I will keep you all posted.

**I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...**

Part of the reason for why it historically has not been possible is that USB is a port that is highly dependent on the processor. As a case in point, while you could physically get some older G4 Macs to boot from a USB drive with the Mac OS, Apple did not "officially" support it until they offered the Intel Macs. Up until that point, if you wanted to boot from an external drive on a Mac, you used a Firewire drive (and I still do instead of USB). It is a speed issue.

Now, with faster processors, some, if not all, of that limitation has gone away.

You can certainly find instructions on how to boot from a USB drive with Windows and find claims that people have done it by doing a Google search. I might try putting one of my clone drives into a USB "enclosure" and see what happens.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users