Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Lower Physical Memory

#1 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

My computer has been acting slow. I ran kaspersky antivirus and everything was clear. I then realized in the task manager that my physical memory was at 98%. I deleted the programs that I no longer use and got it to drop done to 86%. I am not very computer literate, but would appreciate any help to speed up my computer. My pc is a HP and I have windows vista installed. The task manager is telling me my Physical memory total is 893mb, cached is 164mb with 2mb free. I am also going to post the proccesses that are currently running if that helps.

iexplore.exe 91,136k
dwm.exe 14,228k
sidebar.exe 7,900k
explorer.exe 4,184k
iexplorer.exe 4,000k
taskmgr.exe 1,944k
MSASCui.exe 1,688k
avp.exe 1,572k
taskeng.exe 960k
FlashUtil9f.exe 748k
winlogon.exe 596k
csrss.exe 520k
dllhost.exe 472k
klwtblfs.exe 464k
taskeng.exe 204k
ehtray.exe 164k
kbd.exe 148k
RtHDVCpl.exe 132k
rundll32.exe 92k
rundll.exe 84k
conime.exe 76k
PIFSvc.exe 72k
hpsysdrv.exe 72k
ehamas.exe 56k
jusched.exe 48k

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum. After reading this ( you did not give any particulars on your computer such as the specs. From What I see regarding the memory, you could upgrade by adding more memory. That having been said,you can download and run CCleaner ( www.CCleaner.com ) and follow it up with a defrag. Although kaspersky is a good AV, I would also Download and run ( www.SUPERantispyware.com & www.malwarebytes.org ). Both are free and I them as a redundancy to what I have running actively in here.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 27 September 2009 - 08:15 AM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. After reading this ( you did not give any particulars on your computer such as the specs. From What I see regarding the memory, you could upgrade by adding more memory. That having been said,you can download and run CCleaner ( www.CCleaner.com ) and follow it up with a defrag. Although kaspersky is a good AV, I would also Download and run ( www.SUPERantispyware.com & www.malwarebytes.org ). Both are free and I them as a redundancy to what I have running actively in here.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what info the spec would be as I'm not very literate in pc. But I will try the ccleaner. Thanks for the help.

#4 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:26 PM

View Postronvaz13, on 27 September 2009 - 07:45 AM, said:

My computer has been acting slow. I ran kaspersky antivirus and everything was clear. I then realized in the task manager that my physical memory was at 98%. I deleted the programs that I no longer use and got it to drop done to 86%. I am not very computer literate, but would appreciate any help to speed up my computer. My pc is a HP and I have windows vista installed. The task manager is telling me my Physical memory total is 893mb, cached is 164mb with 2mb free. I am also going to post the proccesses that are currently running if that helps.

iexplore.exe 91,136k
dwm.exe 14,228k
sidebar.exe 7,900k
explorer.exe 4,184k
iexplorer.exe 4,000k
taskmgr.exe 1,944k
MSASCui.exe 1,688k
avp.exe 1,572k
taskeng.exe 960k
FlashUtil9f.exe 748k
winlogon.exe 596k
csrss.exe 520k
dllhost.exe 472k
klwtblfs.exe 464k
taskeng.exe 204k
ehtray.exe 164k
kbd.exe 148k
RtHDVCpl.exe 132k
rundll32.exe 92k
rundll.exe 84k
conime.exe 76k
PIFSvc.exe 72k
hpsysdrv.exe 72k
ehamas.exe 56k
jusched.exe 48k

Hey ron !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

To get to your PC's specs, follow the screen shots :

Start > Control Panel :
Posted Image .

Control Panel > System :
Posted Image .

System >
Posted Image .

Post back with what you see.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#5 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

View PostFlashorn, on 27 September 2009 - 08:26 PM, said:

iexplore.exe 91,136k
dwm.exe 14,228k
sidebar.exe 7,900k
explorer.exe 4,184k
iexplorer.exe 4,000k
taskmgr.exe 1,944k
MSASCui.exe 1,688k
avp.exe 1,572k
taskeng.exe 960k
FlashUtil9f.exe 748k
winlogon.exe 596k
csrss.exe 520k
dllhost.exe 472k
klwtblfs.exe 464k
taskeng.exe 204k
ehtray.exe 164k
kbd.exe 148k
RtHDVCpl.exe 132k
rundll32.exe 92k
rundll.exe 84k
conime.exe 76k
PIFSvc.exe 72k
hpsysdrv.exe 72k
ehamas.exe 56k
jusched.exe 48k

Hey ron !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

To get to your PC's specs, follow the screen shots :

Start > Control Panel :
Posted Image .

Control Panel > System :
Posted Image .

System >
Posted Image .

Post back with what you see.

FLASHORN.

manufacturer hewlett packard company

model s7700n

rating 2.9 windows experience rating unrated

processor amd athlon™ 64 x2 dual core prcessor 3800+ 2.00 ghz

memory(ram) 1.0gb

system type 32-bit operating system

I also tried the ccleaner and it did chage my physical memory.

thanks for the help.

#6 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

Hi, You computer will support up to 2Gb of PC2-4200 ( 400Mhz) of Memory. You can verify this by going to www.crucial.com and running a scan. I would recommend buying a matched set of two 1gb sticks of memory. This would help. If you are running Vista, you should have at least 2 Gb in there anyway, but in my opinion, you can't have enough memory. :) Incidently, by adding a video card with dedicated memory is help as well. Yours is a slimline, so would take a diffferent card than most desktops. These cards are of a lower profile then the standard cards to fit the slimline case.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 28 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#7 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

The task manager is telling me my Physical memory total is 893mb,

Which sound's about right. I believe your system is slow due to an infection, nor do I believe your system specifications to be the culprit for a sluggish machine. Coastie provided some tips in his previous post in regards to removing the "whatever" threats.

iexplore.exe 91,136k

Internet Explorer is using up more than "normal" resources, which may be your problem.

#8 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

iexplore.exe 91,136k
dwm.exe 14,228k
sidebar.exe 7,900k
explorer.exe 4,184k
iexplorer.exe 4,000k
taskmgr.exe 1,944k
MSASCui.exe 1,688k
avp.exe 1,572k
taskeng.exe 960k
FlashUtil9f.exe 748k
winlogon.exe 596k
csrss.exe 520k
dllhost.exe 472k
klwtblfs.exe 464k
taskeng.exe 204k
ehtray.exe 164k
kbd.exe 148k
RtHDVCpl.exe 132k
rundll32.exe 92k
rundll.exe 84k
conime.exe 76k
PIFSvc.exe 72k
hpsysdrv.exe 72k
ehamas.exe 56k
jusched.exe 48k

Hi ronvaz and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

I would like to clarify some points here. First, I would like to second Coastie's suggestion that this is a lack of physical memory issue. That being said, you noted that you ran CCleaner and that changed your physical memory. An application will not change the physical memory of a computer. The physical memory is the total of the sticks of memory your have in your computer. In your case, you have 1GB of memory which is (appears to be) shared with the video card. In order to increase the physical memory, one must actually add more memory to the computer.

Additionally, you indicated that you closed an application that you no longer needed and that reduced your cpu usage to 86%. To this regard, the memory usage you have listed is not as important as the percentage that each process is using.

If the list you provided goes in cpu usage order, Internet Explorer is eating up way too much of your system resources. Additionally, there are two instances of Internet Explorer processes running. That either means that you are using Internet Explorer 6 or using Internet Explorer 7 or 8 but not utilizing the tab browsing option.

However, the big usage hog looks to be dvm (Desktop Window Manager). This process allows you to see a glimpse of each running process straight from the desktop. With 1GB of memory, there is really no way your computer can handle such a resource intensive process. That should be disabled. However, if you increase your memory, the computer may be able to handle it.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:31 PM

View Postmphenterprises, on 28 September 2009 - 08:49 AM, said:

iexplore.exe 91,136k
dwm.exe 14,228k
sidebar.exe 7,900k
explorer.exe 4,184k
iexplorer.exe 4,000k
taskmgr.exe 1,944k
MSASCui.exe 1,688k
avp.exe 1,572k
taskeng.exe 960k
FlashUtil9f.exe 748k
winlogon.exe 596k
csrss.exe 520k
dllhost.exe 472k
klwtblfs.exe 464k
taskeng.exe 204k
ehtray.exe 164k
kbd.exe 148k
RtHDVCpl.exe 132k
rundll32.exe 92k
rundll.exe 84k
conime.exe 76k
PIFSvc.exe 72k
hpsysdrv.exe 72k
ehamas.exe 56k
jusched.exe 48k

Hi ronvaz and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

I would like to clarify some points here. First, I would like to second Coastie's suggestion that this is a lack of physical memory issue. That being said, you noted that you ran CCleaner and that changed your physical memory. An application will not change the physical memory of a computer. The physical memory is the total of the sticks of memory your have in your computer. In your case, you have 1GB of memory which is (appears to be) shared with the video card. In order to increase the physical memory, one must actually add more memory to the computer.

Additionally, you indicated that you closed an application that you no longer needed and that reduced your cpu usage to 86%. To this regard, the memory usage you have listed is not as important as the percentage that each process is using.

If the list you provided goes in cpu usage order, Internet Explorer is eating up way too much of your system resources. Additionally, there are two instances of Internet Explorer processes running. That either means that you are using Internet Explorer 6 or using Internet Explorer 7 or 8 but not utilizing the tab browsing option.

However, the big usage hog looks to be dvm (Desktop Window Manager). This process allows you to see a glimpse of each running process straight from the desktop. With 1GB of memory, there is really no way your computer can handle such a resource intensive process. That should be disabled. However, if you increase your memory, the computer may be able to handle it.

Ok, I ran ccleaner and it did not lower my physical memory. I also ran superantispyware and malwarebytes and they both didn't find anything. So from what everyone's been saying I need to add more memory. What do I need to purchase, where do I get it, how much does it cost and does it come with instructions on how to install it? Also you said I may not be using the tab browsing ( I have internet explorer 8). I think that means the tabs in the window and not opening a new window to display a page. I have tried setting that through tools, but some links still open in a new window. How do I correct this? Also you said that the dvm should be disabled. How do I do that?

I am sorry for all the questions but really appreciate everyone help and patience with me. I am very grateful. Thank you.

#10 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:21 AM

View Postronvaz13, on 28 September 2009 - 06:31 PM, said:

So from what everyone's been saying I need to add more memory. What do I need to purchase, where do I get it, how much does it cost and does it come with instructions on how to install it?

Please refer to Coastie's post (Post #6). He provides a good outline of what you may need. It may be in your best interest to contact a certified HP technician to have him or her install the memory once you purchase it. The process is not hard at all but opening the computer and working within the computer may be intimidating to some.

Also you said I may not be using the tab browsing ( I have internet explorer 8). I think that means the tabs in the window and not opening a new window to display a page. I have tried setting that through tools, but some links still open in a new window. How do I correct this?

The easiest way to resolve this issue would be as follows:

- Open Internet Explorer

- Click on Tools -> Internet Options

- Under the General tab and the Tabs section, click Settings

- Under the "When a pop-up is encountered" section, select Always open pop-ups in a new tab

- Under the "Open links from other programs in" section, select A new tab in the current window

- Click OK

Also you said that the dvm should be disabled. How do I do that?

This is a relatively easy process which can be reversed if you increase the memory of your computer:

- Right Click on the Desktop and select Personalize
- Select “Windows Color and Appearance”
- Click “Open classic appearance properties for more color options”
- In the Appearance Setting section, select Windows Vista Basic
- Click OK

This post has been edited by mphenterprises: 29 September 2009 - 05:22 AM

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:37 AM

View Postmphenterprises, on 29 September 2009 - 05:21 AM, said:

So from what everyone's been saying I need to add more memory. What do I need to purchase, where do I get it, how much does it cost and does it come with instructions on how to install it?

Please refer to Coastie's post (Post #6). He provides a good outline of what you may need. It may be in your best interest to contact a certified HP technician to have him or her install the memory once you purchase it. The process is not hard at all but opening the computer and working within the computer may be intimidating to some.

Also you said I may not be using the tab browsing ( I have internet explorer 8). I think that means the tabs in the window and not opening a new window to display a page. I have tried setting that through tools, but some links still open in a new window. How do I correct this?

The easiest way to resolve this issue would be as follows:

- Open Internet Explorer

- Click on Tools -> Internet Options

- Under the General tab and the Tabs section, click Settings

- Under the "When a pop-up is encountered" section, select Always open pop-ups in a new tab

- Under the "Open links from other programs in" section, select A new tab in the current window

- Click OK

Also you said that the dvm should be disabled. How do I do that?

This is a relatively easy process which can be reversed if you increase the memory of your computer:

- Right Click on the Desktop and select Personalize
- Select “Windows Color and Appearance”
- Click “Open classic appearance properties for more color options”
- In the Appearance Setting section, select Windows Vista Basic
- Click OK

Thank you for all the help. I will do that. Once again I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter.

#12 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

One last thing I realized was that when I checked the task manager there are still two instances of internet explorer processes running when I only have one window open. I have internet explorer 8 and have change the settings to utilize the tab browsing option. Is this supposed to be like this and if not can I fix it.

This post has been edited by ronvaz13: 29 September 2009 - 05:47 AM

#13 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

View Postronvaz13, on 29 September 2009 - 05:45 AM, said:

...I realized was that when I checked the task manager there are still two instances of internet explorer processes running when I only have one window open. I have internet explorer 8 and have change the settings to utilize the tab browsing option. Is this supposed to be like this and if not can I fix it.

No, it should not be this way. Make sure you are not confusing iexplore.exe with explorer.exe.

If that is not the case, I would suggest you restart the computer just to get a fresh start. Once restarted, open one instance of Internet Explorer and then check Task Manager to confirm that there is only one instance of iexplore.exe.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:08 AM

View Postmphenterprises, on 29 September 2009 - 05:55 AM, said:

View Postronvaz13, on 29 September 2009 - 05:45 AM, said:

...I realized was that when I checked the task manager there are still two instances of internet explorer processes running when I only have one window open. I have internet explorer 8 and have change the settings to utilize the tab browsing option. Is this supposed to be like this and if not can I fix it.

No, it should not be this way. Make sure you are not confusing iexplore.exe with explorer.exe.

If that is not the case, I would suggest you restart the computer just to get a fresh start. Once restarted, open one instance of Internet Explorer and then check Task Manager to confirm that there is only one instance of iexplore.exe.

I restarted my computer and checked the task manager and it is still telling my that there are two iexpolrer proccesses running. I have tried ending one and the internet explorer window closes. When I try to close the other one the window just refreshes back to the home page.

#15 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:13 AM

View Postronvaz13, on 29 September 2009 - 11:08 AM, said:

When I try to close the other one the window just refreshes back to the home page.

This may have nothing to do with the situation but what is your home page?
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   ronvaz13 

• PipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

View Postmphenterprises, on 29 September 2009 - 11:13 AM, said:

View Postronvaz13, on 29 September 2009 - 11:08 AM, said:

When I try to close the other one the window just refreshes back to the home page.

This may have nothing to do with the situation but what is your home page?

yahoo is my homepage

#17 User is offline   luke2009pdx 

• Pip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:47 PM

Re-install windows might be another option

#18 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:49 AM

View Postluke2009pdx, on 29 September 2009 - 08:47 PM, said:

Re-install windows might be another option

That is a very last ditch option and is not called for in over 90% of the cases, as most problems can be resolved otherwise. coastie

#19 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

View Postronvaz13, on 29 September 2009 - 07:13 PM, said:

yahoo is my homepage

Have you ever had your case open?

Here is a link to your motherboard specifications which also includes a layout diagram and photo of the board. The memory is toward the front which means it is underneath the optical drive when the machine is laid on the right side.

Here is a link to generic instructions for replacing memory. The case in the photos is of the Media Center that was produced about the same time as your slimline. (I have one which has had all the parts moved to a newer roomier case - it still thinks it's an HP though.)

It would be helpful if you would at least take off the left side panel and look into the machine. See how accessible the memory modules are.

Here is a link to the Upgrading and Servicing Guide for your machine with detailed instructions on how to open the case and remove the optical drive to access the memory modules. You may want to read through it with the machine open to familiarize your self with the parts and their location. Although the instructions say to disconnect the fan, you can probably simply lay it over to one side and removing and replacing the optical drive without removing the cables will at least allow you to see the various components.

The guide shows one card installed, usually a modem. If you have a modem installed and are using it, then you cannot add a video card as there is only one slot. If a video upgrade is desired, you should open another question topic. I favor the removal and examination of at least one memory module to enable a match. The timing on the memory modules is crucial. Choosing memory can be confusing. Here is a document discussing background on the various types of desktop memory in current use and how to match yours.

Newegg has 8 different packages of 2 1GB memory modules in stock for around $38. One has a CAS timing of 3 and 6 have a CAS of 4. One does not specify. If your current memory is at 3, then you have one to choose from, if it is 4 then you have 6 to choose from. I know this is a lot of information, and you will need time to digest it.

Post back when you are ready.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users