Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brother Mfc-290c Help Needed

#1 User is offline   rbigg 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:15 PM

Got a Brother MFC-290C running off of Win XP.

No matter what I do, I can't get it printing worth a hoot. Printing is so fine it's illegible on the paper.

What I did was increase the brightness, and tone. No soap. I also used inkjet paper. No soap.

I did order black, blue, yellow, and red containers off Ebay.

Is Ebay ink that bad for printers? Or, do I have something else simple I'm overlooking?

I'd sure like for it to be something simple I'm missing. Please advise

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:18 PM

View Postrbigg, on 06 October 2009 - 01:15 PM, said:

Got a Brother MFC-290C running off of Win XP.

No matter what I do, I can't get it printing worth a hoot. Printing is so fine it's illegible on the paper.

What I did was increase the brightness, and tone. No soap. I also used inkjet paper. No soap.

I did order black, blue, yellow, and red containers off Ebay.

Is Ebay ink that bad for printers? Or, do I have something else simple I'm overlooking?

I'd sure like for it to be something simple I'm missing. Please advise

Hi rbigg and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

Now, although I do not believe the ink itself is to blame, it does not help that you bought it from eBay. I have purchased aftermarket ink and had no problem. However, I did a lot of research before I selected the company that sold me the ink.

That being said, the first thing I would suggest you do is buy ink for your printer from an authorized HP retailer. I know ink is expensive. (Heck I have a laser jet printer that takes four color toners (at $82 a pop retail)). However, if you want to rule out the ink as problem, it is best to start fresh. Now, if the issue continues after the authorized ink is inserted, we can look at your printer itself more closely.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

View Postmphenterprises, on 06 October 2009 - 05:18 PM, said:

Hi rbigg and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

Now, although I do not believe the ink itself is to blame, it does not help that you bought it from eBay. I have purchased aftermarket ink and had no problem. However, I did a lot of research before I selected the company that sold me the ink.

That being said, the first thing I would suggest you do is buy ink for your printer from an authorized HP retailer. I know ink is expensive. (Heck I have a laser jet printer that takes four color toners (at $82 a pop retail)). However, if you want to rule out the ink as problem, it is best to start fresh. Now, if the issue continues after the authorized ink is inserted, we can look at your printer itself more closely.

I believe you mean buy actual Brother ink cartridges, not HP ink cartridges. Since the poster has a Brother printer, I do not think HP ink cartridges would work too well! ;)
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   rbigg 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

Yup. Just bought a Brother "real" ink cartridge and put it in.

Same problem: red, yellow, and blue print fine, but nothing coming through the black, except very faint lines.

Is this time for a repair on the head?

#5 User is offline   rbigg 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

Took me an hour, but well worth it. Got on the phone to Brother tech asst. They put me through some "special" processes, and finally offered to send me a new printer. Should be here Fri.

They do stand by their products.

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:07 AM

View Postrbigg, on 07 October 2009 - 06:48 PM, said:

Took me an hour, but well worth it. Got on the phone to Brother tech asst. They put me through some "special" processes, and finally offered to send me a new printer. Should be here Fri.

Sounds like you have a solution...hope the new printer works.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

View Postsmax013, on 07 October 2009 - 06:54 AM, said:

I believe you mean buy actual Brother ink cartridges, not HP ink cartridges. Since the poster has a Brother printer, I do not think HP ink cartridges would work too well!

LOL Yes. Thanks for that. I have HP on the brain.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   rwdowless 

• Pip

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

View Postrbigg, on 07 October 2009 - 06:48 PM, said:

well i have gone through the same situation.......brother's support worked with me and finally decided to send me a new printer (refurbished for sure). installed and wouldn't you know it.....SAME THING IS HAPPENING! no black ink at all. the printer goes through the motions but not even a smudge on the paper. i have gone through so many cleanings my color cartridges are getting low on ink. does anyone know what else to do here?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users