PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How Can I Transfer Music from My iPod to My Computer - PCWorld Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Can I Transfer Music from My iPod to My Computer

#1 User is offline   cocococo013 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

Hey Guys!
I have some of my favorite songs in my iPod that I want to transfer into my computer. I have tried many times by different methods but I am unable to transfer. Do you people have any idea that can help me out? Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

Hi cocococo and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

I have edited the title of your thread to give a better indication of your issue.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   waichunko 

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:40 AM

View Postmphenterprises, on 11 October 2009 - 10:49 PM, said:

I have edited the title of your thread to give a better indication of your issue.

Use iTunes programme to transfer music from iPod to Computer and vice-versa. iTunes is available free to download. If you don't have the programme, click here to download : http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

View Postcocococo013, on 11 October 2009 - 10:00 PM, said:

Hey Guys!
I have some of my favorite songs in my iPod that I want to transfer into my computer. I have tried many times by different methods but I am unable to transfer. Do you people have any idea that can help me out? Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Which iPod do you have (both type such as Nano, Touch, Shuffle, etc and version such as 2nd generation iPod Nano)?

As noted, the easiest way is to use a program that will do it. There are a lot of them out there (there was one suggested in one of the previous posts).

iTunes will generally NOT move content from the iPod to the computer. You can transfer purchased content from an iPod to the computer, but that is it.

Certain iPods can mount as a disk drive. If so, then you can usually access the music that way as well. This is typically not as easy as just finding a program to do it, but it is free...if your iPod model can use disk mode (iPod Touches and iPhones cannot unless their are "jailbroken"...older iPod models can...not sure about newer iPod Nanos and Classics...I am not sure at all about the Shuffle).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   javjav 

• Pip

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

I know iTunes can do that job.

#6 User is offline   Luna01 

• Pip

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

1. Plug your iPod in and wait for the computer to recognize it.

2. Open up 'My Computer' and under 'Devices With Removable Storage', double click and open apple iPod.

3. Click on 'Tools' at the top of the window and drag down to 'Folder Options'.

4. Under the 'View' tab, find the subfolder called 'Hidden files and folders'.

5. Select the option 'Show hidden files and folders'.

6. Click 'OK'.

7. Double click on the newly shown 'iPod_Control' folder and open up the folder called 'Music'. These folders are named randomly and your music is impossible to find individually.

8. Select all the folders and copy them to a new folder on your hard drive. You are now done with your iPod. Eject it if you wish.

9. Open up iTunes. In the new folder you created, open up each individual folder labeled 'F##' select all the music files in the folder and drag them into your library in iTunes. iTunes will already have the tags stored for these songs so renaming them should not be an issue.

10. Alternatively, Press F3 to enter search, and enter "*.mp3" (no quotes) to find all the MP3 files at once, then press CTRL+A to select all the found files then copy them to a folder on your computer. This way all the music files are in the same folder which makes it far more simple to import them into iTunes. (If any of your files are in MPEG4 format, you can search for "*.m*" to generate a list of all your songs.) (see Warning below)

Tips

* You can't drag a whole folder into iTunes. It will not recognize the file tags and you will not know which song is which.
* The detailed folder view in Windows XP will read the tags off of the mp3s and display the proper Artist, Title, and Album information. The columns should show up by default, but can be added if they do not. This may work for other versions of Windows (someone please verify).
* FYI: One more thing to note, If you have bought songs from itunes and the computer you are storing the songs on is not the computer you have purchased the songs from they will be copied but may not be played because of AAC format. This format is protected and may not be played on and other computer unless purchasing a licence which is the same price as the song in the first place

Warnings

If you follow the step #10, to copy all the songs at once, you may run into trouble if multiple songs in different 'F##' folders have been given the
same random name. For example, you may have several different songs given the same name '01Track01.m4a'. When you try to copy them all to the same new folder on your computer, you will either not get all the songs from your iPod, or you will have to manually copy over all the duplicate named ones into separate folders, which is very time-consuming. It may turn out to be faster to use the first method above (copying each F## folder to iTunes separately).

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:40 AM

View PostLuna01, on 29 December 2009 - 11:36 PM, said:

2. Open up 'My Computer' and under 'Devices With Removable Storage', double click and open apple iPod.

6. Click 'OK'.

7. Double click on the newly shown 'iPod_Control' folder and open up the folder called 'Music'. These folders are named randomly and your music is impossible to find individually.

8. Select all the folders and copy them to a new folder on your hard drive. You are now done with your iPod. Eject it if you wish.

9. Open up iTunes. In the new folder you created, open up each individual folder labeled 'F##' select all the music files in the folder and drag them into your library in iTunes. iTunes will already have the tags stored for these songs so renaming them should not be an issue.

10. Alternatively, Press F3 to enter search, and enter "*.mp3" (no quotes) to find all the MP3 files at once, then press CTRL+A to select all the found files then copy them to a folder on your computer. This way all the music files are in the same folder which makes it far more simple to import them into iTunes. (If any of your files are in MPEG4 format, you can search for "*.m*" to generate a list of all your songs.) (see Warning below)

This method will not work with all iPods and will not work with an iPhone, to my knowledge. In order for this method to work, you have to have an iPod/iPhone that will enable "disk mode" and you have to engage "disk mode" so that the iPod/iPhone will mount on your computer as a drive outside of iTunes. To my knowledge, Apple does NOT have a "disk mode" for the iPod Touch or the iPhone and may have removed it from some of the other current iPods. I do believe that if you have "jailbroken" your iPhone or iPod Touch that you can enable this mode, but I could be wrong.

* FYI: One more thing to note, If you have bought songs from itunes and the computer you are storing the songs on is not the computer you have purchased the songs from they will be copied but may not be played because of AAC format. This format is protected and may not be played on and other computer unless purchasing a licence which is the same price as the song in the first place

Not entirely true.

First, there are two basic types of the AAC format: unprotected AAC format and protected AAC format. By default, iTunes is setup to rip CDs to an unprotected AAC format. All such songs would be playable on any computer or any media device that can play the AAC format (this does NOT mean that you should be giving or selling copies to others). In addition, since about Spring of 2009, virtually all music sold on the iTunes Store (in the US for sure, but I believe in all other countries as well although I am not sure) is now in the unprotected AAC format. Only songs sold prior to sometime this past Spring and not purchased as iTunes Plus format (which is unprotected AAC) and not upgraded to iTunes Plus sometime after this Spring will be in the protected AAC format.

Second, you are permitted to have protected AAC music files on up to 5 computers. In order to play them on those computers, those computers have to be "authorized" to your iTunes Store account. Thus, you can put them on additional computers without purchasing another license. If you put them on another computer with protected AAC format songs purchased through another iTunes account, then you CANNOT have both sets of songs be "authorized" to play at the same time. Thus, if you have protected AAC songs from two different iTunes Store accounts, you will NOT be able to have songs from both accounts in one playlist and have them play on the computer. If you wish to do that, then you will have to purchase the songs again (on the plus side, they will now most likely be in the unprotected AAC format and you might still be able to "upgrade" them to iTunes Plus...aka unprotected AAC, which if still possible would only be 30 cents per song...I do not know if that was limited time offer or not).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   green7o7o 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostLuna01, on 29 December 2009 - 11:36 PM, said:

6. Click 'OK'.

10. Alternatively, Press F3 to enter search, and enter "*.mp3" (no quotes) to find all the MP3 files at once, then press CTRL+A to select all the found files then copy them to a folder on your computer. This way all the music files are in the same folder which makes it far more simple to import them into iTunes. (If any of your files are in MPEG4 format, you can search for "*.m*" to generate a list of all your songs.)

Hey thanks for the clue.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 19 May 2011 - 05:33 PM

#9 User is offline   Winfon 

• PipPip

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Hey Guys!
Thanks in advance!

The most easy way is to use leawo itransfer, a professional ipod to computer sofware.

#10 User is offline   Sogany 

• Pip

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hey Guys!
Thanks in advance!

You can select the transfer purchases from ipod on your itunes when you connect the ipod to computer,then the music on ipod can be transferred to computer soon.

#11 User is offline   tntctznhfc 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

Try Copy Trans Manager; best I've come across and transfers both ways; to and from iPod.
Henfracar :rolleyes:

#12 User is offline   alice302 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:31 AM

If your music are purchased from itunes, you can sync them to your ipod, if not you can add your music file to your itunes and then sync to your ipod.

#13 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

Cost to buy songs on iTunes? One to five bucks, or so, to buy each title. It adds up quick.

I recall doing it without iTunes. Once you have all the 'gibberish' files copied into a folder, any MP3 software capable of mass-tagging and renaming will generally be able to bring back the MP3 content (but not the other kinds of content). I had to do that with a neighbor's iPod, after his hard disk crashed, and he had no backups. I was eventually able to recover about 95% of his MP3 library of his iPod that way, which made me a big 'hero'. I also burned them a linux CD to boot until they could afford a new hard disk for their old PC. It took them a couple of months. Young couple with kids. They were able to get online and access their email and do google documents and whatnot without any hard disk in their PC at all.

#14 User is offline   PCloverworld 

• PipPip

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

View Postwaichunko, on 12 October 2009 - 12:40 AM, said:

View Postmphenterprises, on 11 October 2009 - 10:49 PM, said:

Use iTunes programme to transfer music from iPod to Computer and vice-versa. iTunes is available free to download. If you don't have the programme, click here to download : http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/

As far as I know, we cannot transfer Apple devices video and music because it is illegal. Am I right? However, the above method may be useful to you.

#15 User is offline   Evildave 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostPCloverworld, on 03 June 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

As far as I know, we cannot transfer Apple devices video and music because it is illegal. Am I right? However, the above method may be useful to you.

No, it's just inconvenient.

You can rip any CD/DVD that you own, but you can't get rid of the original AND keep the ripped contents.

So as long as you 'own' (or otherwise have valid license for) the content, you can copy/archive it any way you like. Just not 'share' it.

#16 User is offline   PCloverworld 

• PipPip

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostEvildave, on 04 June 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

View PostPCloverworld, on 03 June 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

No, it's just inconvenient.

You can rip any CD/DVD that you own, but you can't get rid of the original AND keep the ripped contents.

So as long as you 'own' (or otherwise have valid license for) the content, you can copy/archive it any way you like. Just not 'share' it.

maybe you are right. Thanks for sharing what you know.

#17 User is offline   jodiety11 

• Pip

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for the useful information. However, operation is not as simple as that.

#18 User is offline   chris198810 

• Pip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hey Guys!
Thanks in advance!

iTunes is the right app for transfer media files between Apple devices and PC. For your iPod, just download the recent version iTunes and install it on your PC, and the transferring work will be easy.

#19 User is offline   Tracemap 

• Pip

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

I had the same problem today when I reset my computer system. I found a program called SharePod that seemed to have helped. And it was free. . U can find it here on the CNET site:
http://download.cnet...tml?tag=mncol;2

#20 User is offline   Blaire28 

• Pip

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

Hey Guys!
Thanks in advance!

Have you tried this method?
1. Connect the iPod to your PC. If iTunes starts syncing (ie erasing) your music automatically,
hit the X in the upper right hand corner of iTunes display, to the left of the search box, to stop it.
2. In Control Panel, Portable Media Devices, double-click your iPod.
3. In the Tools menu -> Options, in the View Tab, check "Show hidden files and folders."
4. Navigate to the Music folder. On my 2nd gen 'pod, the full path is
5. Portable Media Devices\GINA'S IPOD (F:)\iPod_Control\Music
6. Select all the music folders, and drag and drop them into a folder on your hard drive, or directly into iTunes.
Otherwise, you can also try an iPod transfer program too. It will save much time.
With the iPod to Computer Transfer, you can easily backup your music, songs from iPod to computer.
Besides, you also can transfer videos, photos and more iPod files to Computer or iTunes. Good Luck!! mate.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users