PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: How To Block Downloading? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How To Block Downloading? how can i block or prevent downloading in opera and mozilla browsers ?

#1 User is offline   justinalex 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:10 PM

how can i block downloading in opera and mozilla browsers ? :mellow:

#2 User is offline   KStrawn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

View Postjustinalex, on 17 October 2009 - 03:10 PM, said:

There is no download blocking in Mozilla Firefox, I know that. I'm not so sure about Opera, because I have had no experience with it, and it is a proprietary browser (you have to buy it). Try PMing one of the Moderators. They might tell you the right thing to do.

http://forums.pcworl...y_name&st=0&b=1

This is a link to the Moderator board. There also are three Administrators on these forums (kylenstone, bcappel, and cpoff) that are even higher up.

Or, here's my list of helpful members:

waldojim, StalePancake, WinTard, quackadilly, Flashorn, myloginname, Nuke61, and lexon are all helpful members.

The member names are case-sensitive, so be careful when PMing.

To PM, click your user name and you should see a menu. Click "Messenger" out of that menu and click "Compose New". Type in one of these member, Moderator, or Administrator names into the recipient box. You could add other recipients on the next line, up to five. Then, explain this situation to them.
Best regards,

-Kenny Strawn

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2009 - 08:32 PM

What specifically are you trying to accomplish?

Do you have a computer that other people can use and you want to prevent them from being able to download stuff to your computer (and potentially "muck it up)?

Or is there some other reason?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   oldschooljohnny 

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

View PostKStrawn, on 17 October 2009 - 03:46 PM, said:

There is no download blocking in Mozilla Firefox, I know that. I'm not so sure about Opera, because I have had no experience with it, and it is a proprietary browser (you have to buy it). Try PMing one of the Moderators. They might tell you the right thing to do.

http://forums.pcworl...y_name&st=0&b=1

This is a link to the Moderator board. There also are three Administrators on these forums (kylenstone, bcappel, and cpoff) that are even higher up.

Or, here's my list of helpful members:

waldojim, StalePancake, WinTard, quackadilly, Flashorn, myloginname, Nuke61, and lexon are all helpful members.

The member names are case-sensitive, so be careful when PMing.

To PM, click your user name and you should see a menu. Click "Messenger" out of that menu and click "Compose New". Type in one of these member, Moderator, or Administrator names into the recipient box. You could add other recipients on the next line, up to five. Then, explain this situation to them.

Hmm, when you said you have to buy it..did you mean the premium support? Or the whole browser itself?

Because I've been using Opera on and off for 2 years and i've never had to pay to use it. If there is anything you'd pay for about Opera, it would be "Premium" Support. As for blocking downloads in opera, i've been through all the features and tools and even searched the knowledge base in Opera support and there is nothing that i can find about blocking or disabling "downloading" on the browser. If there is a feature or a tool for that, it must be hidden. Hopefully there is another member here that is more knowledgable in Opera than i am.

This post has been edited by oldschooljohnny: 17 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

#5 User is offline   JimH443 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:37 AM

View Postoldschooljohnny, on 17 October 2009 - 11:38 PM, said:

Hmm, when you said you have to buy it..did you mean the premium support? Or the whole browser itself?

Because I've been using Opera on and off for 2 years and i've never had to pay to use it. If there is anything you'd pay for about Opera, it would be "Premium" Support. As for blocking downloads in opera, i've been through all the features and tools and even searched the knowledge base in Opera support and there is nothing that i can find about blocking or disabling "downloading" on the browser. If there is a feature or a tool for that, it must be hidden. Hopefully there is another member here that is more knowledgable in Opera than i am.

If it exists and is hidden, it may be available via the opera:config command typed in the address bar.

This post has been edited by JimH443: 18 October 2009 - 05:38 AM

#6 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:48 PM

View PostKStrawn, on 17 October 2009 - 03:46 PM, said:

I'm not so sure about Opera, because I have had no experience with it, and it is a proprietary browser (you have to buy it).

Nope...it is free. From the Opera FAQ page:

Do users have to pay for Opera?

Opera is entirely free of charge and ad-free since version 8.5. Premium support is still available.

Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:21 PM

I don't use Opera.

As for firefox, I can only suggest using an add-on.

Edit: THere's this

This post has been edited by techie4fun: 18 October 2009 - 04:22 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users