Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HP Laptop Will Not Power On

#1 User is offline   billsfanatic 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

I have an HP Pavillion dv1040us laptop that out of nowhere just stopped powering up. I took it to Best Buy and they thought that it was my power supply so they tried several of there universal power supplies with still no luck. What else could it be, is there an internal power supply?

#2 User is offline   billsfanatic 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 03:52 PM

View Postbillsfanatic, on 22 October 2009 - 01:39 PM, said:

I have an HP Pavillion dv1040us laptop that out of nowhere just stopped powering up. I took it to Best Buy and they thought that it was my power supply so they tried several of there universal power supplies with still no luck. What else could it be, is there an internal power supply?

I just tested my power supply and its putting out almost 19v so I know it works. Someone please chime in here with some advice.

Thanks

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Have you tried powering it up without the battery installed?

What about if you try it with just the battery and no power cord?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   billsfanatic 

• Pip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

View Postsmax013, on 22 October 2009 - 04:13 PM, said:

Have you tried powering it up without the battery installed?

What about if you try it with just the battery and no power cord?

I tried both already

This post has been edited by smax013: 22 October 2009 - 04:21 PM
Reason for edit: Fixed quote tags

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

How old is the laptop? I am assuming that is it not under warranty any more.

It kind of sounds like it might be "dead".

I am not sure if there is anything else to suggest.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

Sounds like you need a trip to the shop. Keep your fingers crossed although it could be something serious and costly, it could just be the on-off switch is wore out.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#7 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

Most laptops do have an inverer board that takes in the adapter voltage or battery voltage and makes the conversion to the various voltages needed. This most often is a small board mounted just above where the adapter plug is. Replacement would have to be at a service center.

#8 User is offline   mphenterprises 

• Elite

Posted 23 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hi billsfanatic and welcome to the PCWorld Communities. :D

I have changed the title of your thread to better display your issue. I agree with the others that the computer may be on its way out. However, before you toss it and replace it, please check with a certified HP technician to confirm that the issue is the motherboard or if there is anything that can be repaired. As mjd mentioned, this may be your only option. Stay away from retailers (such as Best Buy) because they will end up charging you more than the nominal charge. Also, if you do go to a HP technician, if the cost of the repair outweighs the cost of the laptop, it may be time to look about a new laptop.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Dydx 

• Pip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

I have a, now $1200 paperweight, hp dv9410us. DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE!! IT HAS INHERENT DESIGN FLAWS IN THE MOTHERBOARD HEAT DISIPATION AREA. MINE IS NOW "DEAD" AFTER JUST 1 1/2 YEARS. hp wants me to invest another $300-$400 just for this to happen again. Check the net, it is starting to popup everywhere! This is rediculous, and should be recalled! I also have compaq desktop that has a board issue as well, but thankfully still functions and had the backups of my very time consuming work. I WILL NEVER, EVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT AGAIN after the way their support has treated me. I am a third year computer engineering student that had three midterms due the week it died and their lack of give a darn has me EXTREMELY PISSED at this company.

This post has been edited by smax013: 12 November 2009 - 02:51 AM
Reason for edit: removed profanity

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users