• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Laptop For Web Programmer

#1 User is offline   rimanere 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hi guys,
I am trying to get the best laptop under $ 1350. Do you have any recommendations. I checked the followings
Macbook pro 13" with 2.26 Ghz and 4GB de RAM and 25O GB memory.
Sony Vaio CW series with 2.53 GHz 4GB RAM and 320 GB memory.
Dell XPS 13" (however I heard on the reviews that battery life is not that good)
Samsung X460 2.53 Ghz.
I will be installing some graphic design software (Photoshop, maybe flash among others. I will be also doing some video editing just amateur staff. As well as text editors and everything necessary for web development.
Portability and good battery life are important as well a processor Intel 2.26+, 4Gb RAM, 250GB+ Memory, decent graphic processor.
Do you have any recommendations?
Thank you

This post has been edited by rimanere: 28 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

View Postrimanere, on 28 October 2009 - 07:28 AM, said:

Hi guys,
I am trying to get the best laptop under $ 1350. Do you have any recommendations. I checked the followings
Dell XPS 13" (however I heard on the reviews that battery life is not that good)
Samsung X460 2.53 Ghz.
I will be installing some graphic design software (Photoshop, maybe flash among others. I will be also doing some video editing just amateur staff. As well as text editors and everything necessary for web development.
Portability and good battery life are important as well a processor Intel 2.26+, 4Gb RAM, 250GB+ Memory, decent graphic processor.
Thank you

Hey rimanere !!

Well, if I were to do some web designing, I would certainly contemplate getting a 15 inch notebook. This is only my views but,
the screen size will matter after a few hrs. I would also suggest a Mac (although I don't own one). They are more specific to
what you will be doing. The only draw back to a Mac is the proprietary software that you will have to use. There is always the
use of the free Bootcamp for Macs that you could run other software in but, I am not familiar with this technology.

We do have a member (smax013) who could expand on this subject as he uses a Mac as well as a PC. He will probably chime in,
in a while.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:05 PM

View PostFlashorn, on 28 October 2009 - 01:11 PM, said:

View Postrimanere, on 28 October 2009 - 07:28 AM, said:

Hi guys,
Samsung X460 2.53 Ghz.
Thank you

Hey rimanere !!

Well, if I were to do some web designing, I would certainly contemplate getting a 15 inch notebook. This is only my views but,
the screen size will matter after a few hrs. I would also suggest a Mac (although I don't own one). They are more specific to
what you will be doing. The only draw back to a Mac is the proprietary software that you will have to use. There is always the
use of the free Bootcamp for Macs that you could run other software in but, I am not familiar with this technology.

We do have a member (smax013) who could expand on this subject as he uses a Mac as well as a PC. He will probably chime in,
in a while.

FLASHORN.

It is all a matter of personal preference.

In "olden" days, Macs were more consistently used for web and desktop publishing, but that is much less so. The primary programs that most use for such stuff is generally the same on both platforms. The only "proprietary" software is the OS nominally speaking. You can get most main stream web and desktop publish packages on either platform (i.e. things like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc). There is some "Mac only" programs such as Final Cut Pro and Aperture, but their competitors (Adobe Premier Pro and Lightroom, respectively as an example) are cross-platform.

I would say the biggest thing to do is make sure that you are checking how your web pages display on both OSs under a variety of web browsers. That would be the one reason to argue a Mac would be better as it is easier to get Windows on a Mac than it is to get the Mac OS on a Windows computer.

I would agree that the biggest thing that would likely drive the decision if it was me would be screen size. I would think that you might want to have several things open at once. If so, then a larger screen would seem to make sense.

Beyond that, it is more what you preference is in terms of Mac vs PC.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users