PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Facebook Friend Suggestions - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Facebook Friend Suggestions How does Facebook suggest friends?

#1 User is offline   jedavisii 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:33 PM

I've done some googling to find the answer to this question but I am only finding other, similarly creeped out Facebook users asking the same question - How does Facebook come up with its friend suggestions?

Several people talk about deceased friends being suggested or ex-whatevers. Some theorize that Facebook accesses your email accounts and searches address entries or sent mail. However, no one seems to know the answer!

My story -

I'm a relatively short-time user of FB (less than 1 year). So I get friend suggestions all the time. Most I understand - college or high school classmates, work associates, friends of friends, etc. However, one day I got a friend suggestion that was a cousin of my father's. Now, at the time, I had NO other family members on my father's side as friends (not even my father!). This cousin lives about 600 miles away from me in another state - a state that I in NO way indicated I had any ties to in my profile (wasn't born, raised or went to school there, nor did I have any other friends from that state, nor a member of any groups or fan of anything from that state).

So, to me, this friend was seemingly suggested totally at random...but it obviously wasn't because she's a second cousin and I've not received any other seemingly random suggestions like this.

So, what's the deal?! I know it's Halloween and all but this is a little too scary for me!

Thanks for the thoughts!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

View Postjedavisii, on 01 November 2009 - 04:33 PM, said:

I've done some googling to find the answer to this question but I am only finding other, similarly creeped out Facebook users asking the same question - How does Facebook come up with its friend suggestions?

Several people talk about deceased friends being suggested or ex-whatevers. Some theorize that Facebook accesses your email accounts and searches address entries or sent mail. However, no one seems to know the answer!

My story -

I'm a relatively short-time user of FB (less than 1 year). So I get friend suggestions all the time. Most I understand - college or high school classmates, work associates, friends of friends, etc. However, one day I got a friend suggestion that was a cousin of my father's. Now, at the time, I had NO other family members on my father's side as friends (not even my father!). This cousin lives about 600 miles away from me in another state - a state that I in NO way indicated I had any ties to in my profile (wasn't born, raised or went to school there, nor did I have any other friends from that state, nor a member of any groups or fan of anything from that state).

So, to me, this friend was seemingly suggested totally at random...but it obviously wasn't because she's a second cousin and I've not received any other seemingly random suggestions like this.

So, what's the deal?! I know it's Halloween and all but this is a little too scary for me!

Thanks for the thoughts!

They might take into account "friend of a friend of friend" or some such thing.

You might email Facebook support and ask them...who knows, they might even respond. :)

You might see if this helps at all: http://www.facebook....lp.php?page=925. Look at the first item: "What are Suggestions?"

This post has been edited by smax013: 01 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users