Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Droid/cellphone Battery Charging Battery Charging

#1 User is offline   schmaltzy 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

I'm looking for some advice on cell phone battery charging. I recently purchased the new Motorola Droid and I love it. I have medium use on it during the day so when I go to bed I'm at about 40%-50% battery life. For this reason I plug it in every night.

My previous phone was the LG Dare. Granted it wasn't a smart/app phone or had the capabilities of my Droid, I could get by on that charging it once every week.

With my Dare, I had looked up battery tips and found many good ideas: Never talk on your phone while it is plugged it, never let the battery completely run out, always try to let it charge up fully before using it, etc. I have come to believe in these methods because the original battery my Dare came with lasted me a little over 1 1/2 years! The phone I had before my Dare was much worse, I had to get a new battery for that phone every 10-12 months.

MY QUESTION IS - Are there any battery tips for the Droid to help make the battery last as long (longevity) as possible?

I'm not talking about making it a full week before charging. I am fine with charging it every night as long as that won't hurt the battery. My brother has a blackberry and said he has to charge his every 1-2 days, sometimes more with heavy use.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

View Postschmaltzy, on 10 November 2009 - 09:56 AM, said:

I'm looking for some advice on cell phone battery charging. I recently purchased the new Motorola Droid and I love it. I have medium use on it during the day so when I go to bed I'm at about 40%-50% battery life. For this reason I plug it in every night.

My previous phone was the LG Dare. Granted it wasn't a smart/app phone or had the capabilities of my Droid, I could get by on that charging it once every week.

With my Dare, I had looked up battery tips and found many good ideas: Never talk on your phone while it is plugged it, never let the battery completely run out, always try to let it charge up fully before using it, etc. I have come to believe in these methods because the original battery my Dare came with lasted me a little over 1 1/2 years! The phone I had before my Dare was much worse, I had to get a new battery for that phone every 10-12 months.

MY QUESTION IS - Are there any battery tips for the Droid to help make the battery last as long (longevity) as possible?

I'm not talking about making it a full week before charging. I am fine with charging it every night as long as that won't hurt the battery. My brother has a blackberry and said he has to charge his every 1-2 days, sometimes more with heavy use.

Generally, today's batteries there is not a lot of "hand holding" to do with them. With older batteries, they could develop a "memory" if you tended to use them a bit and then recharge them. Today's rechargeable batteries do not tend to have "memories".

Some people will tend to recommend that you do fully discharge it every once and while, but that is not "universal".

Personally, for my Palm Treo 755p, I routinely plug it in when I get home and leave it plugged in while at home. It used to be that this mean plugging it in each night, but since I now work from home, it means I tend to have it plugged in quite a bit now. It still has its original battery that is going on 2.5 years.

Thus, I would suggest you should be fine plugging it in each night for charging and then using it during the day. You likely should be fine with that. And I see zero reason why you should avoid using your phone while it is plugged into the charger.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   azdps11 

• Pip

Posted 24 December 2009 - 06:37 PM

View Postsmax013, on 11 November 2009 - 03:03 PM, said:

View Postschmaltzy, on 10 November 2009 - 09:56 AM, said:

Generally, today's batteries there is not a lot of "hand holding" to do with them. With older batteries, they could develop a "memory" if you tended to use them a bit and then recharge them. Today's rechargeable batteries do not tend to have "memories".

Some people will tend to recommend that you do fully discharge it every once and while, but that is not "universal".

Personally, for my Palm Treo 755p, I routinely plug it in when I get home and leave it plugged in while at home. It used to be that this mean plugging it in each night, but since I now work from home, it means I tend to have it plugged in quite a bit now. It still has its original battery that is going on 2.5 years.

Thus, I would suggest you should be fine plugging it in each night for charging and then using it during the day. You likely should be fine with that. And I see zero reason why you should avoid using your phone while it is plugged into the charger.

***I had the same concern with my Droid as I'm used to getting an Extra life batt. for every phone I get, which are mostly Smartphones. My other phone, Samsung Saga I have the extra life batt. but found I really don't need it.
As far as our Droids, I'm sure you've noticed when you turn it off, then plug it in for the night, it comes back on. You try to turn it off again but it only comes on again. So I, at that point, just "kill" all the listed programs that are running in the background with the free Advanced Task Killer (basicly a Task Manager) so their not running, turn the volume down or to vibrate so you won't hear it if it rings and / or you get a message, unless you want to. Then I just press the power button again to turn the light off. As far as saving battery resources, I got another battery and a desktop charger so I always have a fresh battery. But you can also go into settings / Sounds & Settings, scroll up to Brightness and Uncheck Automatic brightness and adjust it down, but I wouldn't go down too far where your always straining your eyes. Then go up one to Screen timeout and set it to the least of amount of time you can deal with; the shorter amount, the better on the battery. ( But how much ??). Then you can back out and go up to Accounts & sync and if you are using more then one e-mail account, have only one (your default) on "Apps. Sync data Auto" as apposed to manualy. When you go into Google maps, your (a)GPS launches automaticaly which is cool, but rememmber it gobbels up your batt. so make sure it goes off when you exit G/M's. (look for the Satelite icon on top), When I use it in the car, GPS, I have it plugged into the Car charger.
I'm sure there's more smaller ones that don't really matter that much, like backlights on media players, etc., but I think I've given you an idea.
I would just get another batt. and desk charger so your always set, because if your into it as much as I, and most others, it's worth it ! I don't have to get on the Laptop NEAR as much !! Good luck & have fun with the most advanced handset available !!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Motorola Droid.jpg

This post has been edited by smax013: 25 December 2009 - 03:32 AM
Reason for edit: fixed quote tags

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users