PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Who's Taking Up All The Internet Bandwidth? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who's Taking Up All The Internet Bandwidth?

#1 User is offline   snoopios 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi everyone,
Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but i am trying to find out who is taking up/consuming most of the bandwidth in my house. Basically our internet has suddenly become really slow and i'm pretty sure it's because someone in our house is continuously downloading!! I was just wondering if anyone knows of any programs/ways (which are free) that i can simply check who in our house is using up all the bandwidth. Trying to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Online and it's just not happening!!
Snoopios

#2 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

View Postsnoopios, on 13 November 2009 - 07:22 AM, said:

Hi everyone,
Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but i am trying to find out who is taking up/consuming most of the bandwidth in my house. Basically our internet has suddenly become really slow and i'm pretty sure it's because someone in our house is continuously downloading!! I was just wondering if anyone knows of any programs/ways (which are free) that i can simply check who in our house is using up all the bandwidth. Trying to play Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Online and it's just not happening!!
Snoopios

How is the internet connected- by router or modem?

How many machines access the internet in your home?

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:45 AM

Hi everyone,
Snoopios

Hi, I don't know about any software for that type of thing, but I would suggest maybe doing a walk around when this is happening to see who is doing what on the computer. Posted Image That is one upside to Fiber Optics. I have had this desktop, a laptop, and the PS3 all on line at the same time, with absolutely no problems. I was doing security updates on the computers and a firmware update on the PS3 at the time.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:05 AM

With a Belkin WIFI router on a DSL modem, I can see the activity on the router and tell who's online with just a glance. Initially my concern was someone was getting in on the wireless but that was negated by using the encryption and MAC filtering so I know that's not going to happen. Possibly one or more units downloading at the same time could really slow things noticably. It depends on your specific configuration.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hi everyone,
Snoopios

What kind of broadband do you have? DSL? Cable modem? What speed are you supposedly supposed to get? My first guess would be it is not something in your house, but outside your house.

As noted, you easiest solution is to see if your router has some log/tracking capability.

There is network "snooping" software that likely can do what you want, but I really do not have a direct answer to your question. I am not aware of a program that will specifically do what you want. There are certainly packet sniffing programs, but I do not know if they kind of "tally" the bandwidth of the packets.

You could just ask. :D
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   snoopios 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

View Posttechie4fun, on 13 November 2009 - 08:31 AM, said:

Hi everyone,
Snoopios

How is the internet connected- by router or modem?

How many machines access the internet in your home?

Well, i'm connected wirelessly to a router and there are 7 machines in the house!! It's a Netgear WPN824 router.

#7 User is offline   snoopios 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 13 November 2009 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hi everyone,
Snoopios

Hi, I don't know about any software for that type of thing, but I would suggest maybe doing a walk around when this is happening to see who is doing what on the computer. Posted Image That is one upside to Fiber Optics. I have had this desktop, a laptop, and the PS3 all on line at the same time, with absolutely no problems. I was doing security updates on the computers and a firmware update on the PS3 at the time.

Well I did actually have an ask around and no-one was actually downloading a program or something but there is one person who watches films online so i guess that could be the reason from all the streaming!! As soon as that person isn't in the house, the internet is fine!! I have managed to block the website the person uses but the internet is still really slow and i can't see why, thats why i'm trying to find some kind of Router Network Monitoring Program!!

#8 User is offline   snoopios 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:23 PM

View Postsmax013, on 13 November 2009 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hi everyone,
Snoopios

What kind of broadband do you have? DSL? Cable modem? What speed are you supposedly supposed to get? My first guess would be it is not something in your house, but outside your house.

As noted, you easiest solution is to see if your router has some log/tracking capability.

There is network "snooping" software that likely can do what you want, but I really do not have a direct answer to your question. I am not aware of a program that will specifically do what you want. There are certainly packet sniffing programs, but I do not know if they kind of "tally" the bandwidth of the packets.

I'm not sure what type of broadband it is because i'm renting a student house and we haven't been told anything about the internet except from the fact that its there!! It is wireless and there are 7 of us in the house!! It's a Netgear WPN824 router. Thats all the info i can think of or know about it!! Not sure about the speed but about 15Mb/s sounds right to me!! I know that it isn't someone outside the house but then again, there is a computer which is connected to the router but i don't know how to find it's location!! The router doesn't have log/tracking capability so thats why i'm trying to find a free Router Network Monitoring Program!! All i'm trying to do is see which i.p address is taking up the bandwidth!! From there i can compare it to the i.p addresses and device names to see who it is in the house!!
I did actually ask and no one is actually downloading anything like programs or stuff but one person is watching films online so thats streaming alot of stuff!! I guess thats the main source of the problem!! I have another funny feeling that the ISP has capped our bandwidth usage from this and maybe cut some bandwidth off or something if they can even do that to slow us down!! :(
Cheers

#9 User is offline   JimH443 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

View Postsnoopios, on 23 November 2009 - 02:01 PM, said:

Well I did actually have an ask around and no-one was actually downloading a program or something but there is one person who watches films online so i guess that could be the reason from all the streaming!! As soon as that person isn't in the house, the internet is fine!! I have managed to block the website the person uses but the internet is still really slow and i can't see why, thats why i'm trying to find some kind of Router Network Monitoring Program!!

Here's one way... keep unplugging connections until the network returns to a usable condition. If it does, find out who lost the connection. If it never does, then you know the problem is elsewhere.

#10 User is offline   snoopios 

• PipPip

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

View Postsnoopios, on 23 November 2009 - 02:23 PM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 13 November 2009 - 03:20 PM, said:

Hi everyone,
Snoopios

I'm not sure what type of broadband it is because i'm renting a student house and we haven't been told anything about the internet except from the fact that its there!! It is wireless and there are 7 of us in the house!! It's a Netgear WPN824 router. Thats all the info i can think of or know about it!! Not sure about the speed but about 15Mb/s sounds right to me!! I know that it isn't someone outside the house but then again, there is a computer which is connected to the router but i don't know how to find it's location!! The router doesn't have log/tracking capability so thats why i'm trying to find a free Router Network Monitoring Program!! All i'm trying to do is see which i.p address is taking up the bandwidth!! From there i can compare it to the i.p addresses and device names to see who it is in the house!!
I did actually ask and no one is actually downloading anything like programs or stuff but one person is watching films online so thats streaming alot of stuff!! I guess thats the main source of the problem!! I have another funny feeling that the ISP has capped our bandwidth usage from this and maybe cut some bandwidth off or something if they can even do that to slow us down!! :(
Cheers

Scratch that part about the other random computer, it's not a pc but my own wireless printer!! Oops :)

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

View Postsnoopios, on 23 November 2009 - 02:23 PM, said:

Cheers

The reason why I ask what kind of is because a cable modem connection's speed can vary dramatically depending on how many people in your neighborhood use cable modem connections and how many of them are on using it at the same time you are. Just like your connection within your house is a "shared" connection, a cable modem connection in general is a "shared" connection within your local neighborhood/area. Thus, it is possible that the slow down is coming from "outside" the house if it is a cable modem connection.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users