• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Os For A Netbook?

#1 User is offline   doslover 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:32 AM

I'm considering the purchase of a netbook PC with a 10" screen and 1Mb ram for under $400 to use strictly for internet activities when travelling. I already have a heavy and bulky laptop with a 15" screen and 4Gb ram that is running Win 7 home premium, and only gets a little over an hour's use on battery power. The netbook should be easy to carry and not require use of the AC adapter due to much longer battery run time. The question I have is what is the best OS for the netbook: Linux, Win XP home or Win 7 Starter?

#2 User is offline   Slik 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

The best info I have read suggests Win XP There is a good review article here that compares various netbooks by brand. Search on your favorite brand+netbook. A selection menu allows you to see your preferred brand and links in the article lead you to the recommended OS for that brand and allow you to see what the manufacturer has favored.

Since my favorite laptops are Toshibas, it highlighted the Toshiba NB205-310. There may be a thread here arguing which is the best brand of Netbook and the best OS for Netbooks.

This site's search feature under reviews heading >>>NOT FORUMS HEADING<<< gives the best results.

Enjoy your new toy.

#3 User is offline   Gloryatallcost 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:30 AM

i just bought me and my husband netbooks for xmas. after checking several names and specs i went with the HP110. it runs 7 starter and it can be upgraded to full version as i understand it. i'm kinda in the playing around and seeing what that OS does and so far it's okay. if i can upgrade to full version then i am going to. i like being able to customize my desktop and i can't with the starter, but so far that is the only thing that doesn't seem "right" lol. i feel like i'm missing out on some important features with just a "starter". i get the impression win 7 is basically an upgrade of vista or a version of win 7. the best part of getting a new pc is the hunt, so have fun :)

This post has been edited by Gloryatallcost: 05 January 2010 - 12:33 AM

#4 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

A lot of it depends on your definition of 'best'.

I recently picked up an Acer D250 for my wife. It is a fairly typical netbook these days ( Atom 1.6/1GB/160GB/10"). I currently have it running xp (only and I do stress ONLY because of a problem with the wireless card in Linux).

With a default build of XP, this thing had a horrendous boot time (I am talking 2-3 minutes). Then the machine was DOG slow on everything else, no video, no games, nothing. I then started stripping things out to see if I could get it to a smooth operation. After removing the AV, the trialware, etc... it was still SLOW.
sooo...
I immediately hunted down a couple of the netbook Linux distros.

Ubuntu netbook remix was fairly quick, and seemed responsive I guess... I just could not take the interface.
Moblin was FAST, and I mean 10~15 second boot time fast! It was responsive, I could bounce around, and change tasks just like the desktop! And best of all, the interface seemed like it was meant JUST for these netbooks (which it is btw) it was easy to navigate, and make do what you wanted. It was enough to hook my wife in just minutes... though that might have had more to do with real working video. However, there seems to be a problem with moblin and the Atheros Wifi card Acer used... and with no internet, the netbook was useless.

SO I hunted down a new XP image. And I found a wonderful copy online. An EeePC modified XP. This is the way XP should have been set up in the first place. It is light, fast, responsive, and works. Had it worked this way to start with, this netbook would never have even seen Linux. This thing is used now every day to watch netflix movies, dvd's (we got the external dvd drive with ours), or even WoW... though WoW does have a slight performance issue :) (10-15fps).

SO, here is the end result. Would I prefer Moblin? Yes, I would - IF everything was supported. Wifi was the only problem in my case... But the interface was so nice, I would take moblin over XP, or even win 7.

BUT you can't argue with 'It just works'. And XP does just that. If you find yourself with a slow netbook, hunt down the EeePC remixed Xp torrent, and enjoy!
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#5 User is offline   vicky123 

• Pip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

I would personally suggest Windows XP.There is a good review article here that compares various netbooks by brand.
Thanks. :unsure:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users