Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Mechanic Operation

#1 User is offline   randl 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

I have had System mechanic since PCWorld recommended it a few years ago. This program has grown to do a lot more than it used to and it now wants to track system changes, monitor hard drive status, manage my configuration, erase private data, securely delete files, repair registry problems, and hard drive problems, clean system clutter, remove junk files,configure something called "system guard", defragment memory, turnoff unused background programs, optimize internet settings, defrag my hard drive, optimize windows startup, and more. In all of this it also does a lot of reporting to an Iolo system server, and I don't know what data gets passed to them.

My biggest beef is 2 things: 1. the program has lost its way and it is too big (it wants to update almost daily but I am not told what the update is about; 2. when I have issues and I write to IOLO, my request goes into a black hole, I get nothing back, ever.

Has anyone else have System Mechanic and have similar issues?

#2 User is offline   istanbul 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 02:17 AM

View Postrandl, on 27 November 2009 - 10:10 PM, said:

I have had System mechanic since PCWorld recommended it a few years ago. This program has grown to do a lot more than it used to and it now wants to track system changes, monitor hard drive status, manage my configuration, erase private data, securely delete files, repair registry problems, and hard drive problems, clean system clutter, remove junk files,configure something called "system guard", defragment memory, turnoff unused background programs, optimize internet settings, defrag my hard drive, optimize windows startup, and more. In all of this it also does a lot of reporting to an Iolo system server, and I don't know what data gets passed to them.

My biggest beef is 2 things: 1. the program has lost its way and it is too big (it wants to update almost daily but I am not told what the update is about; 2. when I have issues and I write to IOLO, my request goes into a black hole, I get nothing back, ever.

Hi randl,and welcome to the forum, when i googled for System Mechanic a mix up occured.
The info i posted earlier was for a similarly named program.İt would be good if you state the version you currently have as other members here are familiar with the program,and will soon come over to help.

İ can't help you any further as i stay Well Clear of registry cleaners,(gentle ones or otherwise)Good luck.

This post has been edited by istanbul: 28 November 2009 - 02:32 AM

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:32 AM

I have System Mechanic, but it is and older version that I got in '04. It is not installed as I don't use it anyway. It had some semi useful apps as I remember, such as being able to reboot the computer if the boot failed. It never did any damage, but the fixes were marginal. coastie
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:55 AM

I don't use System Mechanic, and would probably begin looking for a different program, especially IF technical support refuses to respond back to your requests.

#5 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

View Posttechie4fun, on 02 December 2009 - 09:55 AM, said:

I don't use System Mechanic, and would probably begin looking for a different program, especially IF technical support refuses to respond back to your requests.

Hi,

I have version 6, it is currently out of date and won't update so its life is over.
I felt it worked fine to clean clutter, clean registry, and other things like that.
Security was nothing special.
I did see improvement after it completely optimised my PC.
#6 was not as loaded as your version.

Thanks for the heads up, I won't upgrade to a program that acts like what you discribed.
Techie4fun is right.

Rommel

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users