Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't Get Into Bios. :(

#1 User is offline   nautica17 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:29 PM

Hello everyone. I just assembled my PC, and I can't seem to get into BIOS, let alone almost anything. When I boot, I get this nice green ASUS screen, and on the bottom I have two options: "DEL to run setup" and "TAB to display BIOS POST Message." Which ever option I press, I get into this American Megatrends screen. Now, it tells me what hard-drive, and DVD drives I have, and it has two options: "F8 for BBS Setup" and "ALT-F2 to execute ASUS EZ Flash 2." And when I press any of the corresponding keys, nothing happens. Only a little message gets changed "Boot selection Popup menu has been selected." Similar thing for the ALT-F2 option happens. And then the screen stays the same. Any key you press, nothing happens.

My motherboard: Asus M4A78-EM
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 620

Can someone help me out? Perhaps I am overlooking something. It's my first build too.. although I figured getting into BIOS would a be a little easier than this. :(

#2 User is offline   KStrawn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

View Postnautica17, on 28 November 2009 - 03:29 PM, said:

Hello everyone. I just assembled my PC, and I can't seem to get into BIOS, let alone almost anything. When I boot, I get this nice green ASUS screen, and on the bottom I have two options: "DEL to run setup" and "TAB to display BIOS POST Message." Which ever option I press, I get into this American Megatrends screen. Now, it tells me what hard-drive, and DVD drives I have, and it has two options: "F8 for BBS Setup" and "ALT-F2 to execute ASUS EZ Flash 2." And when I press any of the corresponding keys, nothing happens. Only a little message gets changed "Boot selection Popup menu has been selected." Similar thing for the ALT-F2 option happens. And then the screen stays the same. Any key you press, nothing happens.

Can someone help me out? Perhaps I am overlooking something. It's my first build too.. although I figured getting into BIOS would a be a little easier than this. :(

I once had an ASUS motherboard. I couldn't get into the BIOS until I installed an operating system. That may be your problem.
Best regards,

-Kenny Strawn

#3 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

restart computer AND as soon as you can (don't wait for any logos to appear)--repeatedly press the 'delete' key until your BIOS screen appears

This post has been edited by tman: 28 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

#4 User is offline   nautica17 

• Pip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

View Posttman, on 28 November 2009 - 05:18 PM, said:

restart computer AND as soon as you can (don't wait for any logos to appear)--repeatedly press the 'delete' key until your BIOS screen appears

Hello. Well, I've been doing that. I get to this black screen that has some of my drives, etc., listed. It acknowledges that they are there at least. Pressing delete or any other key for that matter doesn't help.

This post has been edited by nautica17: 28 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

#5 User is offline   tman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:19 PM

View Postnautica17, on 28 November 2009 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Posttman, on 28 November 2009 - 05:18 PM, said:

Hello. Well, I've been doing that. I get to this black screen that has some of my drives, etc., listed. It acknowledges that they are there at least. Pressing delete or any other key for that matter doesn't help.

First--check if the 'num lock' key is pressed
try powering up and the very second you hear fans start to spin press and hold F8 or try same with 'delete' key
IF neither of those ideas work, then it sounds as though there is a loose connection somewhere...so...
open up the computer case (power down first and disconnect from outlet) then check all the connections to the motherboard--power supply cable(s) any SATA or IDE connections (check connections that you yourself made during assembly and look for any that may have gotten dislodged during assembly)--make sure your RAM is properly seated.
reconnect power and try booting--if it still fails and
IF you put in a new CPU you might want to pull that off and look for bent pins on the processor face-always power down and disconnect before attempting this.

This post has been edited by tman: 28 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

#6 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:45 AM

Can someone help me out? Perhaps I am overlooking something. It's my first build too.. although I figured getting into BIOS would a be a little easier than this. Posted Image

Hi,

Being this is a new build I would check your manuel and confirm what to press to enter bios.

If you know that you are doing it right and your results are the same I would call Asus tech support.
They do answer during buisness hrs and are helpful unlike other companies that give a number but never answer.

You my have something corrupted in your bios.
The agent will instruck you on the right revision to download.
Save to a flashdrive, and from there when you are at the flash screen, you can flash the new bios and hopefully problem solved.

Hopefully you don't have a component tripping up your boot.

Rommel

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

Are you using a USB keyboard?

Do you have access to a PS/2 keyboard (i.e. the old round connector)?

It is possible that your motherboard's BIOS currently has the ability to use a USB keyboard (and mouse as well maybe) turned off. If so, then you will need a PS/2 based keyboard at least temporarily to use so that you can get into the BIOS to turn on the USB keyboard support. This was the case with my motherboard when I first got it.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   nautica17 

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hello all. :) Well, after taking the motherboard and CPU to the store, the tech guys determined that the motherboard was defective. They themselves were baffled with this problem. So I have bought a Gigabyte motherboard now and Intel processor. :) Problem solved, Windows 7 works great too. :D

#9 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

View Postnautica17, on 30 November 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

Hello all. :) Well, after taking the motherboard and CPU to the store, the tech guys determined that the motherboard was defective. They themselves were baffled with this problem. So I have bought a Gigabyte motherboard now and Intel processor. :) Problem solved, Windows 7 works great too. :D

Glad you got a solution.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:58 AM

View Postnautica17, on 30 November 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

A defective motherboard will do it :P

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users