PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: What Is The Best Desktop Wireless N Adapter/receiver? - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Is The Best Desktop Wireless N Adapter/receiver? Is USB better than PCI?

#1 User is offline   TigerX2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

I'm currently having problems with Windows 7 and my computer. Long story, search a6720y on the forums and you'll know.

Lets cut to the end, what is the best Wireless N adapter/receiver out there which is fully compatible with Windows 7?

Are USB adapters better than PCI ones?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:07 AM

View PostTigerX2, on 11 December 2009 - 09:25 PM, said:

I'm currently having problems with Windows 7 and my computer. Long story, search a6720y on the forums and you'll know.

Lets cut to the end, what is the best Wireless N adapter/receiver out there which is fully compatible with Windows 7?

You are going to get a lot of opinions on that and they likely will NOT be the same. My general recommendation when dealing with WiFi devices is to buy what you believe is your best choice from a place with a good return and/or exchange policy (i.e. can easily return or exchange it with no "restocking" fees). If you find that the WiFi device does not work with your overall setup (i.e. does not like your OS, does not play nice with your other WiFi devices, etc), then you can take it back and try a different one.

Are USB adapters better than PCI ones?

Yes and no.

How is that for a non-answer. :D

It really depends on how you define better...aka what is important to you.

USB adapters are useful in that you can basically use one with just about any, if not any, computer these days with ease (it is much easier to move a USB adapter around then having to open up your computer to take out or put in a PCI adapter).

A PCI adapter will generally be easier to put a better antenna on than most USB adapters. So, if you want to hook up a higher gain antenna to extend the wireless range, it might be a better choice. They are also less likely to be damaged or "knocked off" than a USB adapter if you move the computer around or move stuff around that is next to the computer.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   TigerX2 

• PipPip

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Well mobility isn't a problem for my since I'm just going to use this on my computer. I've been on bestbuy and newegg.com, all of the pci cards seem to have bad reviews.

If you had to choose one of these usb adapters, which one would you choose? (And lets take out how good the belkin one looks, lets just focus on the performance :) )

http://www.bestbuy.c...0&skuId=8682437
http://www.bestbuy.c...0&skuId=8993903

#4 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

USB or PCI?? This depends on the configuration you have and whether you have an open slot. I find PCI best as long as you have no compatablity issues or IRQ problems. USB can be problemmatic and intermittent. I find that choosing the card and the router from the same mfgr best and have grown to really like Belkin as I've never had an installation fail in over a hundred systems. I've tried Linksys, Airlink, Cisco besides Belkin and had trouble with mixing brands but never had a problem with Belkin.

#5 User is offline   TigerX2 

• PipPip

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

I do have a open PCI slot, its just that the reviews I've read seem to be bad for PCI and good for USB. I would honestly like a pci one but people tend to go more with usb even with desktops.

Can you guys please recommend me a pci wireless card that is fully compatible with Win 7 64 bit?

#6 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:50 PM

View Postmjd420nova, on 12 December 2009 - 09:46 AM, said:

USB or PCI?? This depends on the configuration you have and whether you have an open slot. I find PCI best as long as you have no compatablity issues or IRQ problems. USB can be problemmatic and intermittent. I find that choosing the card and the router from the same mfgr best and have grown to really like Belkin as I've never had an installation fail in over a hundred systems. I've tried Linksys, Airlink, Cisco besides Belkin and had trouble with mixing brands but never had a problem with Belkin.

I have found this to be true as well...it is best to try to match WiFi manufacturer's if at all possible. But, that is not always possible which is why I have my "general recommendation" now as "mixing" brands can cause issues at times.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

View PostTigerX2, on 12 December 2009 - 12:13 PM, said:

I do have a open PCI slot, its just that the reviews I've read seem to be bad for PCI and good for USB. I would honestly like a pci one but people tend to go more with usb even with desktops.

They likely tend to go for USB more because it is appears easier to deal with to the "typical" computer user. There are a lot of "typical" computer users who get a bit queasy at the at the thought of opening up their computer. So, the idea of just plugging some USB device seems a lot more appealing.

Can you guys please recommend me a pci wireless card that is fully compatible with Win 7 64 bit?

I do not tend to recommend specific products, especially if I have never used them myself before and/or I do know have "hands on" ability with the computer in question.

Best I will do is suggest that you get your list of possible cards, then first visit the manufacturer's website to see if they have a Windows 7 (or Vista) 64 bit driver for their adapter. If you have more than one of those, then got reader the user reviews for those cards on say Amazon and NewEgg (and other locations) to get an overall feel for what user think of it. You will have to judge how much credibility you give to such reviews. If there are a large number of them, then you have a better change of getting a true and reasonably accurate idea of how that adapter works.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   TigerX2 

• PipPip

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for all of the replies people, I ended up ordering the Belkin USB adapter from Newegg, it just seemed the best choice. I spent the whole day trying to figure out which adapter to get and after reading PCI reviews and USB reviews just thought USB would be better. BTW I went with Belkin because they had Windows 7 64bit driver in their support download page for this model and the Linksys one didn't. I'm guessing Linksys has lost it's reputation lately, was it bought be Cisco or it was originally owned by Cisco?

Thanks again :)

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

View PostTigerX2, on 12 December 2009 - 07:09 PM, said:

Thanks for all of the replies people, I ended up ordering the Belkin USB adapter from Newegg, it just seemed the best choice. I spent the whole day trying to figure out which adapter to get and after reading PCI reviews and USB reviews just thought USB would be better. BTW I went with Belkin because they had Windows 7 64bit driver in their support download page for this model and the Linksys one didn't. I'm guessing Linksys has lost it's reputation lately, was it bought be Cisco or it was originally owned by Cisco?

Always glad to try to help. Hopefully, the Belkin works well for you.

And FYI, Linksys was bought by Cisco several years ago if I recall correctly. And yes, they kind of have "gone downhill" in more recent times. In the early 2000s, they were kind of the "go to" company for home networking products...not as much anymore it seems.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:49 AM

View PostTigerX2, on 12 December 2009 - 07:09 PM, said:

Tiger - Linksys has been a division of Cisco since 2003. One piece of information you never told us, was the brand and model of your router, although that is not important now.

If your new device does not help, post back.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users