PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Zonealarm Vs Comodo (firewall) - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Zonealarm Vs Comodo (firewall) which is better?

#1 User is offline   dacoolest 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:30 AM

I like to know whch firewall is better from ZoneAlarm and Comodo. I picked those two because they are free and most people are discussing about those two firewall in most forums.

thanks in advance !

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

View Postdacoolest, on 18 December 2009 - 03:30 AM, said:

I like to know whch firewall is better from ZoneAlarm and Comodo. I picked those two because they are free and most people are discussing about those two firewall in most forums.

thanks in advance !

Hey dacoolest !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

If you would like a break down of Firewall efficiency then, read what Gizmo has to say
about Firewalls (Free Ones). http://www.techsuppo...ee-firewall.htm

Also, If you would like to read about how they did in independent testing then, read
about it on the Matousec site . They test all Firewall and post the results for everyone
to read : http://www.matousec....nge/results.php .

Once you have settled on one , go to grc.com to test your set up. Their tests will show
whether the Firewall you have installed has all of it's ports Stealthed .
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 .
Just click on one of the "Shields-Up Services" to start the testing of your Firewall.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   mjd420nova 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:13 AM

I use ZoneAlarm and besides it being a good firewall it is a very good learning tool. When you initially set up and run ZoneAlarm, it needs to learn what programs you allow to access the internet by popping up alerts for you to "allow or deny" access. This alone lets the user learn all the programs that need or want to access the internet to function as you have them installed. It can also be a n eye opener as some programs may take extended periods to do this and thereby slow or stall a boot process or cause hangs in operation if the sites are unavailable or busy.

#4 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:04 AM

View Postdacoolest, on 18 December 2009 - 03:30 AM, said:

thanks in advance !

I used to like Comodo Firewall but have stayed away after an incident I experienced months ago. I wanted to try different firewalls and had an extremely difficult time uninstalling Comodo, and it would not let me uninstall it. After I finally got it removed, I couldn't access the internet because the NIC inside Windows had been altered. Thanks, Comodo!

I remember sending in a support ticket about my issue, and the tech-support people didn't know what was going on. So... is it at your own risk :P

This post has been edited by techie4fun: 18 December 2009 - 08:11 AM

#5 User is offline   Ibrad09 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:36 AM

I used to use ZoneAlarm 8 till I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. ZoneAlarm was simple to use but I found it slowed down my PC's boot time too much. I have not tried Comodo but from the reviews I have seen it pops up ton's of Defense+ alerts, Online armor did the same thing. If you are behind a router I would recommend the Windows Firewall, if not I would recommend PC Tools Firewall Plus, its simple to use and provides good protection.
My Security Setup: Panda Cloud Antivirus, Winpatrol PLUS, Malwarebytes PRO

Honorary Member on the Malwarebytes Forum

Panda Cloud antivirus forum expert

#6 User is offline   SpiritWind 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:11 AM

IF you have a Vista 32 bit Operating System, my
Top Recommendation would also be for the FREE PC
Tools Firewall Plus program . When asking for
recommedations for programs, best to give the
specifics of your Operating System .
For the very Best in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

#7 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

on my rig, I use Comodo. Comodo will also give you free AV, and a custom dns server...

SO far Comodo has done me well. I don't have anything against ZA, but I have yet to get s stable copy for win 7.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users