PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Using Pci Graphics Card W/ Internal Graphics Card - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using Pci Graphics Card W/ Internal Graphics Card

#1 User is offline   defurr 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

I have an HP with Athlon 64 x2 3800+, 4GB of RAM. Motherboard has its own internal chipset (NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE) for video. I bought a BFG Tech GeForce 9400GT PCI Express x16 card. My hope was to run both the PCI card and the internal card concurrently, allowing me to run two VGA monitors simultaneously.

Problem is this: If you plug in the PCI card to the board and boot up the machine, you get no video signal on either the PCI's VGA port, or that of the motherboard. Presumably this is due to driver conflicts with the internal card, and indeed the installation manual of the PCI card says that you should disable the primary/internal driver in Windows Device Manager before inserting the card.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. If I do as the PCI instructions say and disable my primary/internal card, will I be able to reactivate the internal card after I've successfully installed the PCI card and its drivers, or will the two never play nicely together?

2. What if I disable the internal/primary card and then the PCI doesn't work? Haven't I just screwed myself? How will I be able to see to get back to Windows Device Manager if I now have no working video cards?

I know that the BFG Tech board will run an HDMI and an SVGA simultaneously. I was hoping to be able to avoid buying an HDMI monitor to make this work, which leads to question #3....

3. I noticed that the internal video card seems to be using 500MB of my RAM. If I disable that video card, will it give those resources back? The PCI board has 1GB of DDR on it.

#2 User is offline   waldojim 

• Elite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

#1 - typically, the integrated card remains disabled while another card is active. Removing the add-on card will re-activate the internal

#2 - again typically, the system will load in a basic vga mode, on whatever video card is available. Be sure that the internal is turned on in the bios before removing any add-on cards, and you will be good to go.

#3 - 99.999% of the time, once the internal card is deactivated, yes you are correct, your resources are no longer allocated to it.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -- Isaac Asimov

Steam Machine: MSI 970A-G46, AMD Phenom 955 @ 4.0Ghz, 8GB Gskill ram @1600mhz, 128GB Plextor M5s, EVGA GTX 550Ti
Laptop: Alienware 14, Intel i7-4700MQ, 8GB DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTX 765M 4GB DDR5, Plextor M3 256GB SSD, 1080P IPS display, Killer GigE, Killer 1202 wifi
Hackintosh: Gigabyte H61m-HD2, Celeron G1610, 4GB Patriot ram @1333Mhz, Asus GT210, WD 1TB Black, Silverstone ES50 500watt PSU, OS-X Mountain Liion

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hi. To add a bit more, if you notice there are two outputs on the card. You should be able to run two separate monitors from the card.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:43 PM

View Postdefurr, on 23 December 2009 - 08:35 AM, said:

I have an HP with Athlon 64 x2 3800+, 4GB of RAM. Motherboard has its own internal chipset (NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE) for video. I bought a BFG Tech GeForce 9400GT PCI Express x16 card. My hope was to run both the PCI card and the internal card concurrently, allowing me to run two VGA monitors simultaneously.

Problem is this: If you plug in the PCI card to the board and boot up the machine, you get no video signal on either the PCI's VGA port, or that of the motherboard. Presumably this is due to driver conflicts with the internal card, and indeed the installation manual of the PCI card says that you should disable the primary/internal driver in Windows Device Manager before inserting the card.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. If I do as the PCI instructions say and disable my primary/internal card, will I be able to reactivate the internal card after I've successfully installed the PCI card and its drivers, or will the two never play nicely together?

2. What if I disable the internal/primary card and then the PCI doesn't work? Haven't I just screwed myself? How will I be able to see to get back to Windows Device Manager if I now have no working video cards?

I know that the BFG Tech board will run an HDMI and an SVGA simultaneously. I was hoping to be able to avoid buying an HDMI monitor to make this work, which leads to question #3....

3. I noticed that the internal video card seems to be using 500MB of my RAM. If I disable that video card, will it give those resources back? The PCI board has 1GB of DDR on it.

Hi,

I just want to add this for your knowledge.
This is cool and something I just learned.

With newer chipsets that have this technology, you can run the onboard GPU with a descrete VC.
For dual monitor support, the descrete VC card handles that, the onboard GPU only adds a boost.

As Waldojim stated, you will have only one or the other.
Also for the technology to work it requires an identical card as the onboard GPU with a motherboard designed with this technology.

In most cases you are better off with one stronger card with dual monitor support, and disable the onboard.

Just that I'd throw this in being it is part of what you asked.

Hybrid CrossFireX™ Support
Posted ImagePosted ImageBoosted Performance with onboard GPU and discrete graphics card
ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ technology is a unique hybrid multi-GPU technology. It takes your gaming experience to the next level boosting PC performance by enabling the chipset’s integrated graphics processor and a discrete GPU to operate simultaneously with combined output for blisteringly-fast frame rates unleashing the graphics performance

Rommel

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

View Postdefurr, on 23 December 2009 - 08:35 AM, said:

It is possible that you might be able to still run your two existing monitors from that one card. You might be able to use an HDMI to DVI-I cable that then connects to a DVI-to-VGA adapter that you can then plug into your monitor. I believe that this should work, but I am not 100% sure. About the only thing that might cause a problem is that I am not sure if HDMI ports ONLY put out digital only signals or if they also still can send an analog signal. I know that a DVI port can be capable of both digital and analog signals (i.e. a DVI-I port).
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   cyberknight 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

Yeah rommel is right.
To add to that, if u need to run an onboard chipset along with a discrete GPU, u must have a mobo & a discrete GPU that supports Hybrid SLI/Crossfire.
Hybrid SLI in case of Nvidia Chipsets. Unless ur mobo supports this, u got to disable d onboard GPU to activate a new card! U will get back any resources ur onboard chipset was using, after disabling it..
Lookin 4 trouble
U will never know what hit ya
Freakin Fast.... Cyber!!
-------------------------------
Laptop: Sony VAIO
i5-480M 2.67GHz (2.93GHz with Turbo Boost)
ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1GB
4GB(2x2GB)RAM, DDR3 1066Mhz
500GB HDD (5400rpm)
15.5" LCD display
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users