Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using Pc And Ps3 On Samsung T220

#1 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

I'm trying to connect my PC and ps3 to SAMSUNG T220.

I use HDMI/DVI cable for ps3 and RGB/RGB for PC.

After resetting the monitor everything works but after several changes of sources between PC and ps3 or some time spent on ps3, the screen goes black or changing source to PC and won't go back to ps3.

Is it something wrong with settings or with hardware?

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. First, The Samsung has two HDMI ports. I would use one for an HDMI hookup from the PS3 as it has an HDMI port ( you may need to get a HDMI cable if you don't have one). As for the Computer, the Samsung has a DVI Port and I have assuming your video card does as well. If so go straight DVI from the computer to the monitor. Once that is done, and each input is in the monitor, there shouldn't be an issue switching from one to another. I have a 42" Toshiba HDTV. I have the TV coming in through one HDMI port and the PS3 coming in on another. The PS2 is hooked up by way of component and a third input. All I need to do is select the input from the device I am using as it is labeled when I hit the input button and all is good. With just the Computer and PS3 a component hook up shouldn't really come into play, unless the Video Card in the computer ( or onboard Chipset) doesn't support DVI.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the fast answer.

I don't think my Samsung has any HDMI ports. It has just DVI and RGB. I have ps3 connected to the DVI and computer to RGB. I have no problems with working with PC as i was using it before i bought ps3. The problem is with using ps3. Sometimes it is easily works but after some time it goes black. I switch the source to PC and switch it back to ps3 but the monitor goes into power saving mode as the ps3 is off when it is actually on but when i take out the ps3 cable it shows " Check Signal Cable " so the ps3 is actually connected right.

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

No, it doesn't. That was an erroneous write up. I went over to NewEgg and looked there and they are dead on with your description. You are using an HDMI cable from the PS3 with a HDMI to DVI adapter to the monitor. The PC is hooked up by way RGB Composite. A PS3 usually in a straight HDMI connection would be 720p. I'm not exactly sure of how that breaks down in terms of resolution. There are other members more versed in that. The RGB Composite is usually 420p ( progressive scan) 420i would be interlaced. It appears that the main issue is a difference in resolution settings between the two types of connections. I run into the same thing when shifting from the PS3 back to the TV signal. I have it running through a DVD Player/Recorder that is an upconvert to 1080p. It will go black until the DVD player starts up and feeds a signal to the TV ( no problem going from the TV to the PS3 or PS2 for that matter ( RGB Composite), but the same thing going back from the PS2 to the TV. Again I think it is a resolution issue with the monitor, but as for a solution, I'm long on the problem, but a bit short on the answer at the moment. Hopefully somebody else will jump in with some thoughts.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for your help.

#6 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Ok, now at least i can see PlayStation system but still can't load any games or go online - screen goes black.

Can someone help?

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:24 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 02 January 2010 - 07:32 PM, said:

No, it doesn't. That was an erroneous write up. I went over to NewEgg and looked there and they are dead on with your description. You are using an HDMI cable from the PS3 with a HDMI to DVI adapter to the monitor. The PC is hooked up by way RGB Composite. A PS3 usually in a straight HDMI connection would be 720p. I'm not exactly sure of how that breaks down in terms of resolution. There are other members more versed in that. The RGB Composite is usually 420p ( progressive scan) 420i would be interlaced. It appears that the main issue is a difference in resolution settings between the two types of connections. I run into the same thing when shifting from the PS3 back to the TV signal. I have it running through a DVD Player/Recorder that is an upconvert to 1080p. It will go black until the DVD player starts up and feeds a signal to the TV ( no problem going from the TV to the PS3 or PS2 for that matter ( RGB Composite), but the same thing going back from the PS2 to the TV. Again I think it is a resolution issue with the monitor, but as for a solution, I'm long on the problem, but a bit short on the answer at the moment. Hopefully somebody else will jump in with some thoughts.

1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, 480i, etc are all "TV resolutions". It basically combines a resolution (which is the number part...and that is the lines of vertical resolution) and whether or not it is progressive scan or interlaced. You can "translate" the resolution portion into a "computer resolution" by getting the horizontal lines of resolution that goes with the vertical lines of resolution. In the case of 1080p and 1080i, they both have a resolution of 1920x1080 (in computer terms)...but one is progressive scan and the other is interlaced. 720p is the equivalent of 1280x720 in computer terms. And 480i/480p is the equivalent of nominally 720x480.

I believe (but could be wrong) the all computer output these days is by default a progressive scan. So, you do not see "p"s and "i"s when you talk about computer resolutions. Instead, you see a resolution expressed as the horizontal lines of resolution by the vertical lines of resolution...i.e. 1920x1080, 1024x768, etc.

On the monitor in question (Samsung T220), both the DVI and the VGA (aka D-dub or Analog RGB) connections should be able to handle resolutions up to 1680x1050 per the specs on NewEgg. Thus, most likely the PS3 would be trying to use 1280x720 while the computer will use what ever the graphics card is set to up to 1680x1050 assuming the computer's graphics system supports that resolution.

The one possible problem could be that the monitor does not support a 1280x720 resolution. That certainly seems to be what is indicated by this section from the Samsung T220 manual:

Posted Image

It would appear that when the PS3 sends its 1280x720 (or maybe 1920x1080) signal, the monitors does not have a matching resolution and just goes blank.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

I've got my display settings on my ps3 set up on 720p which I'm pretty sure is relevant to 1680x1050 as when I'm changing settings to anything else my monitor shows me the massage that i should set it up on 1680x1050 again.

I think the problem isn't about resolution because ps3 works with the monitor and shows everything but just for few minutes and then goes to a power saving mode. I didn't find any useful settings which may help on ps3 and on monitor so I have no idea what else can I do.

P.S. I found a video on you tube where the guy uses exactly same monitor with PC and ps3 and changing them easily so definitely my monitor must be able to connect it unless the problem is that I've got the new one - 120G

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

View Post1OnE1, on 04 January 2010 - 06:20 PM, said:

P.S. I found a video on you tube where the guy uses exactly same monitor with PC and ps3 and changing them easily so definitely my monitor must be able to connect it unless the problem is that I've got the new one - 120G

If that is the case, then it might be some problem with the PS3. Have you tried the PS3 with some other display device? Maybe some friend's HDTV? Or another monitor?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, I've got the other monitor and it works perfectly. But I can't use it all the time.

This post has been edited by 1OnE1: 04 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

View Post1OnE1, on 04 January 2010 - 09:37 PM, said:

Yeah, I've got the other monitor and it works perfectly. But I can't use it all the time.

When you hook it up to the other monitor, do you use the same cable with both monitors?

Have you tried hooking something else up to the DVI port on the Samsung T220 monitor?

This post has been edited by smax013: 04 January 2010 - 10:03 PM

Good riddance PCWorld.

#12 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, I was using the same cable with both monitors and I was using this Samsung with the other PC through the DVI input and it was working good

#13 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:40 PM

View Post1OnE1, on 04 January 2010 - 10:31 PM, said:

Yeah, I was using the same cable with both monitors and I was using this Samsung with the other PC through the DVI input and it was working good

OK, that will tend to eliminate either the monitor or cables as the potential issue.

That more or less means there is something that the monitor is not liking about the PS3 it would seem. The problem is that I am not really sure what...I am kind of stumped at this point.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#14 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:25 PM

Thanks anyway.

#15 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

View Post1OnE1, on 05 January 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

Thanks anyway.

I certainly wish that I could be of more help...

Maybe something will fall on my head and "knock" a brilliant idea into it!

:)
Good riddance PCWorld.

#16 User is offline   1OnE1 

• Pip

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:16 AM

The problem was that I was using the HDMI/DMI cable without any adapter. Then I bought HDMI/HDMI cable and connected it with HDMI/DVI adapter and it all works!!!

#17 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

View Post1OnE1, on 18 February 2010 - 01:16 AM, said:

The problem was that I was using the HDMI/DMI cable without any adapter. Then I bought HDMI/HDMI cable and connected it with HDMI/DVI adapter and it all works!!!

Glad you got it to work.

The only thing that I could think that might explain it was that the HDMI/DVI cable that you had only had a DVI-A connector and the Samsung monitor did not like that, but the other monitor did not mind it. But that might not be it either...

Oh, well...just another mystery of life, which is not a big deal if everything is working for you.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users