• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Links To Pdf Files In Ie8 Won't Work

#1 User is offline   jviren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hello,
I am having a problem with opening links that are pdf. I hope I can adequately explain the situation so that I can get help. I got a new Dell Presario laptop (64-bit, Win7 Home Premium, all updates, etc.) because my hard drive crashed on my desktop. This purchase was unplanned and I knew installing all my software and other stuff might have issues, as I had WinXP before. I installed Adobe Acrobat 7, but it wouldn't work, and according to Adobe, there is no update, so I was sunk there. I could open pdfs at this point, but I couldn't make them. Someone suggested I try PDF995, which is free; however, I did pay the fee for it, as sometimes I'm skeptical about free stuff not having everything I need. I downloaded it, and the installation went just fine. I kept getting some weird error from Adobe Acrobat, and it was not letting me open pdfs at all. I didn't write the error message down, as I just uninstalled Adobe Acrobat and that error went away, . Now I just have PDF995, but am still having problems, only what happens now is that although I can open a pdf in a file on my computer, I can't open one in Internet Explorer 8. When I try to open a pdf document online (click on a link), I get a message that says either "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." Then it has a button where I can diagnose the connection problem but there is no connection problem. If I print the page, on the bottom it says, "res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm." The other scenario is unique but similar: when I try to open my bank statement online (also a link to a pdf document), I get a new IE window, but then a smaller box opens that says "Windows is checking for a solution." Then it says, "IE has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working properly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available," but it doesn't tell me a solution. Then IE8 tells me that the tab has been recovered, but then it goes back into the cyle of "IE has stopped working." I have tried various troubleshooting options, but can't find any thing that will work. I DO have an Internet connection, so that is not the problem. It seems like it's something with IE, but no sure. Any ideas of what I might try? Thank you so much.

#2 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Downloading Adobe Reader 9.3 would make it possible for you to read PDF files in IE8. This is a free download just make sure to uncheck the Google Toolbar add on if you don't want it.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#3 User is offline   jviren 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

I'm sorry but I should have said that I have downloaded Adobe Reader 9 and the problems remain. Thank you.

#4 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

Ok try this. Open IE8, on the right side of the tool bar select tools, then select manage add-ons. There should be an add-on, Adobe PDF Link Helper; under status insure it is enabled.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

#5 User is offline   jviren 

• PipPip

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

It's already enabled. Anything else Icould try? Thank you.

#6 User is offline   backbuster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

I am not familiar with the program PDF995, there may be a conflict with that program. Maybe some of the other members might have some ideas for you. I would suggest uninstalling any Adobe Reader software you have installed and then install the newest version of Adobe Reader.

Edit: You may want to send an E-mail to PDF995 and ask them for help with your problem, support@software995.com

This post has been edited by backbuster: 12 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

#7 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

View Postbackbuster, on 12 January 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

I am not familiar with the program PDF995, there may be a conflict with that program. Maybe some of the other members might have some ideas for you. I would suggest uninstalling any Adobe Reader software you have installed and then install the newest version of Adobe Reader.

Edit: You may want to send an E-mail to PDF995 and ask them for help with your problem, support@software995.com

PDF995 is a free/paid PDF conversion program. It installs a printer driver that instead of sending the print to a physical printer, publishes the print job sent to it as a PDF. PDF995 shows up in the list of available printers. The free/paid aspect is that if you use it as a free program, when it publishes the document to a file, it opens a window with an ad in it. If you pay the $9.95 fee, you get no ad, just the document. I started using it because my Quicken PDF printer app did not work in either Quicken 2008 or 2009 when running on a 64 bit OS. Now that I have Quicken 2010, it works on 64 bit, but I still use PDF995 for other thing. (Yes I have the PDF generator in Office 2007), but with some other applications I still find it helpful, especially since it's free (or at least cheap).

This may be related to his attempt to install Adobe Acrobat 7 under Win 7. Running Ccleaner to make sure you have all the bits of a failed install removed.

This post has been edited by rgreen4: 13 January 2010 - 12:21 PM
Reason for edit: spelling

Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   jviren 

• PipPip

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

I'll try these. Thanks so much.

This post has been edited by jviren: 13 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

#9 User is offline   jviren 

• PipPip

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

I contacted PDF995 support and here is what I was told:

"This is not related to our software. We don't offer a PDF viewer. You should install the free Adobe Reader. Pdf995 is used to create pdfs so that you don't need to purchase the full Adobe Acrobat for $300."

I still have some suggestions to try (CCleaner and unstalling/reinstalling Adobe Reader). Thank you.

#10 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:55 AM

View Postjviren, on 14 January 2010 - 07:52 AM, said:

I contacted PDF995 support and here is what I was told:

"This is not related to our software. We don't offer a PDF viewer. You should install the free Adobe Reader. Pdf995 is used to create pdfs so that you don't need to purchase the full Adobe Acrobat for $300."

I still have some suggestions to try (CCleaner and unstalling/reinstalling Adobe Reader). Thank you.

You might also try Revo uninstaller to uninstall Adobe. It many time finds some of the small hooks that windows uninstall leaves behind that can interfere with the proper installation of an upgraded version.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   jviren 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

Finally got time to try a couple more suggestions. I installed Adobe Reader and also saw that there was Adobe Acrobat still in the program files so uninstalled that, too. Then I ran CCleaner. Then I installed Adobe Reader again. And it worked!!! Thanks so much!

View Postrgreen4, on 13 January 2010 - 12:20 PM, said:

View Postbackbuster, on 12 January 2010 - 08:26 PM, said:

PDF995 is a free/paid PDF conversion program. It installs a printer driver that instead of sending the print to a physical printer, publishes the print job sent to it as a PDF. PDF995 shows up in the list of available printers. The free/paid aspect is that if you use it as a free program, when it publishes the document to a file, it opens a window with an ad in it. If you pay the $9.95 fee, you get no ad, just the document. I started using it because my Quicken PDF printer app did not work in either Quicken 2008 or 2009 when running on a 64 bit OS. Now that I have Quicken 2010, it works on 64 bit, but I still use PDF995 for other thing. (Yes I have the PDF generator in Office 2007), but with some other applications I still find it helpful, especially since it's free (or at least cheap).

This may be related to his attempt to install Adobe Acrobat 7 under Win 7. Running Ccleaner to make sure you have all the bits of a failed install removed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users