Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uniblue Registry Booster Concerns

#1 User is offline   laphmo 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

I don't know how PC World can recommend this package without stating the eventual cost. This is just another system that will check things for free, and through fear mongering, try to convince you to buy it. Not mentioning this up front severely affects PCW's credibility. I can only presume that the advertiser is king and let the consumer beware. If the recommendation had been honestly presented, I probably would have bought the product. Now, it is the last thing I would ever buy.

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. A lot of those things are like that. Actually it's best to stay away from those registry packages altogether.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   istanbul 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:16 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 24 January 2010 - 02:19 PM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. A lot of those things are like that. Actually it's best to stay away from those registry packages altogether.

'Actually it's best to stay away from those registry packages altogether'

Absolutely, i can't understand why so many people use Registry cleaners. İ really don't.

#4 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

View Postlaphmo, on 24 January 2010 - 11:27 AM, said:

I don't know how PC World can recommend this package without stating the eventual cost. This is just another system that will check things for free, and through fear mongering, try to convince you to buy it. Not mentioning this up front severely affects PCW's credibility. I can only presume that the advertiser is king and let the consumer beware. If the recommendation had been honestly presented, I probably would have bought the product. Now, it is the last thing I would ever buy.

Hey laphmo !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

Uniblue specifically IS scareware but, most ads for registry cleaning are only for a scan and NOT a cleaning of the PC.
You would have to buy the product to get the advertised cleaning. They do mention that this is a Scan and not a
cleansing of your PC.

That being said, you would be ahead by using the FREE service from Microsoft for cleaning ALL parts of your PC including
a malware scan if you so desire. I don't know why people don't take advantage of this service especially since it's free
and won't cost you a penny. You will, however, visit the site with Internet Explorer 7 or 8 in compatibily mode and accept
the use of a ActiveX that will be deleted later on.

For XP : and Only the Cleanup option.
http://onecare.live....ter/cleanup.htm

For Vista and 7 : Same link but, when you click on the Cleanup button, you will be asked to launch the Windows Vista and 7 scanner :
Posted Image

Use the Cutomised scan if you do not want the Full scan and cleaning.
Posted Image .

This will take but a few minutes and a Restore Point will be created to ensure you can Restore should you not want this cleaning permanent.
You do have the option to review what is to be deleted and Uncheck what you don't want to be cleaned.

FlASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#5 User is offline   Rockdoctor 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:55 AM

I agree with the first comment. Let me add that I have PCMatic on my machine (another PCWorld recommendation) and it did help performance on one machine in particular. When I ran the free scan of Uniblue, it announced that I had 354 registry errors and that my machine is in bad shape. Somebody is not telling the truth.

#6 User is offline   Rockdoctor 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

The reason more of us haven't used the Microsoft OneCare program is that frankly we never heard of it. I ran the program and it concluded my machine did indeed have 350 registry errors as Uniblue stated but PC Magic missed. Who knows who is telling the truth. Anyway, thank you for the advice about One Clean.

This post has been edited by Rockdoctor: 12 May 2010 - 07:54 AM

#7 User is offline   rcbozek 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

View PostRockdoctor, on 12 May 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

The reason more of us haven't used the Microsoft OneCare program is that frankly we never heard of it. I ran the program and it concluded my machine did indeed have 350 registry errors as Uniblue stated but PC Magic missed. Who knows who is telling the truth. Anyway, thank you for the advice about One Clean.

I purchased RegisteryMechanic at the recommendation of PC World and have used it for a couple of years on Windows XP. Ran the "scan only" of Uniblue RegisteryBooster and it said I had 903 errors. Mechanic said I had 49. Cleaned up the 49 and re-ran Booster. Results showed a reduction of 12 errors! Is Mechanic that bad or is Booster that good? Or is Booster giving an inflated number just to get you to buy the product?

This post has been edited by rcbozek: 12 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

#8 User is offline   rcbozek 

• Pip

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

View Postrcbozek, on 12 May 2010 - 11:45 AM, said:

View PostRockdoctor, on 12 May 2010 - 07:53 AM, said:

#9 User is offline   techie4fun 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

[quote name='rcbozek' date='12 May 2010 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1273693594' post='355098']
[quote name='rcbozek' date='12 May 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1273693511' post='355097']
[quote name='Rockdoctor' date='12 May 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1273679623' post='355014']
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Ah. To make your post visible, begin writing your text after the last "[/quote] marking.

#10 User is offline   supernub 

• Pip

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

View PostFlashorn, on 25 January 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

Hey laphmo !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

Uniblue specifically IS scareware but, most ads for registry cleaning are only for a scan and NOT a cleaning of the PC.
You would have to buy the product to get the advertised cleaning. They do mention that this is a Scan and not a
cleansing of your PC.

That being said, you would be ahead by using the FREE service from Microsoft for cleaning ALL parts of your PC including
a malware scan if you so desire. I don't know why people don't take advantage of this service especially since it's free
and won't cost you a penny. You will, however, visit the site with Internet Explorer 7 or 8 in compatibily mode and accept
the use of a ActiveX that will be deleted later on.

For XP : and Only the Cleanup option.
http://onecare.live....ter/cleanup.htmhttp://malwarebytesc...om/logo/uni.png

For Vista and 7 : Same link but, when you click on the Cleanup button, you will be asked to launch the Windows Vista and 7 scanner :
Posted Image

Use the Cutomised scan if you do not want the Full scan and cleaning.
Posted Image .

This will take but a few minutes and a Restore Point will be created to ensure you can Restore should you not want this cleaning permanent.
You do have the option to review what is to be deleted and Uncheck what you don't want to be cleaned.

FlASHORN.

Wow thanks for the infomation I didn't know microsoft offered its own.
That said I have Uniblu's software and I'm quite happy with it too.

#11 User is offline   syedmahtab 

• Pip

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hi,
I have performed a thorough research over internet and here are the results:
Most registry cleaners are more a problem creator than a problem solver.
There are available free as well as paid software for this purpose.
If a software finds more errors than others, it does not guarantee that the software is better.
Some registry cleaners are even used to attack registry with malware and some are scareware.
So, with a personal experience of 15 years in IT, I recommend to avoid registry cleaners. If required, have a thorough research before choosing any cleaner. Lastly, when running registry scan, choose proper options which may not harm your PC.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users