• Group: PCWorld BOT

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

Post your comments for Apple Tablet: Just Something Else to Carry here

#2 User is offline   Keithtime 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

You wrote:
<i>However, Apple will need to find a way of dealing with two versions of the same application,one for iPhone and the other for tablet.

This could be done by noticing what the customer is using for the download--iPhone or tablet--and sending the proper version. Alternately, tablet-only software might get its own App Store, or just appear for purchase only on the tablet and not on iPhones.</i>

Neither of the above is likely.

There will be one app store (iTunes) and just one app. The app will detect what it is loaded in (an iphone, an ipod touch, or an iguessthename) and respond accordingly.

#3 User is offline   rcordero 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:47 AM

It is ridiculous what passes for news these days. Even if it is an editorial, this articles are based on nothing but speculation. Please in the future write articles with substance.

#4 User is offline   Keithtime 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

There will not be multiple app stores, or for that matter multiple apps for different devices.

One app store - iTunes store like now.

One app - it will know whether it is loaded on an iphone (or ipod touch) or the new inewname, and respond accordingly.

#5 User is offline   ezycheez 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

No, it won't be something else to carry. It will be something that stays on a desk or coffee take or attached to a fridge as a shared calendar or next to the john or in a conference room as a way to interact with shared documents during a conference. In other words, the "concept" of the tablet is finally going to start ushering in the paperless world we've been hearing about for so long. Maybe Apple's tablet will be too expensive to be in everyone's home or office but it will legitimize the concepts and show everyone else how a table should be done. Yes, you will still have pc's, laptops, etc. What you won't have are magazines, binders, calendars, etc.

#6 User is offline   ferdberfle 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

... it's time to take a sober last look at what's likely to happen ... ??

I agree with rcordero. Why doesn't everybody just relax, take a bunch of deep breaths and stop speculating - we'll all know more tomorrow. I am a long-time Mac user and love Apple products, but these "editorials" are getting very tiring. And yes, I do know that I'm not forced to read them.

#7 User is offline   davraamides 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

You open your article with this gem:

"For business users, if a new Apple tablet won't replace a notebook computer, what good is it? Besides being something else to carry."

When has Apple cared about business users? I suppose you were also saying the iPhone would fail because it didn't have a real keyboard, which business users would require.

You don't even know what the tablet will be and you are already writing it's epitaph? What does it take to be a journalist these days?

#8 User is offline   aeroblade 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

I can't wait for the announcement to occur tomorrow because it puts an end to all speculative editorials. This last week every blogger has been going to junk pile of what if articles suddenly realizing that if they don't go out this week they won't have a chance to use them.
The next wave will be the "Why Jobs missed the mark" editorials. And all before anyone has a chance to try one.

#9 User is offline   Ray8Steak 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

What a douchebag you are - "For business users, I don't expect the tablet to be a very important announcement. If all you want is an e-reader, which is becoming a business tool for some, there are better and less-expensive options available."

For the second time in the past 14 days you have pronounced this UNSEEN product a failure. My Apple stock is at $205, my Dell, Microsoft, etc are sucking wind. Apple announced record profits for this quarter.

Get a life you hack.

#10 User is offline   brosenberg 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

If people like you consulted on Star Trek and had a voice in the world it envisioned .. they'd be riding horses and carrying colts. How are we suppose to progress when pundits like you chatter on about "business" users? I think there are a lot more then just office drones that need to be considered because corporations are notoriously cheap as they have shareholders to think of.

The home user with his/her 2.5 kids like devices like these. Also, think of the death of the backpack industry as we won't have to carry 4x1" books around along with notepads.

The short sightedness is amazing .. and who cares if Windows based PC/laptops are cheaper .. how much cost is involved when IE gives the overlords of the botnets would finance information? Sure, it might not cost the citizen directly because the banks will put the money back in the account but they DO pass the cost of doing that to everyone across the board.

Bah.

#11 User is offline   matticose 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

"For business users, I don't expect the tablet to be a very important announcement. If all you want is an e-reader, which is becoming a business tool for some, there are better and less-expensive options available."

How can you say there are better options without knowing anything about the tablet? Idiot.

"However, when I use my iPhone for business it is in situations where I am using 3G wireless, which the tablet isn't expected to offer. Power is another issue."

Actually they are rumored to be partnering with Verizon to offer the tablet as a netbook. Where are you getting your information? How do you know power is an issue? I have a feeling that a high school student could do your job.

#12 User is offline   NongoFury 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

What a bunch of whiners. He never said the product would fail. He never said the iPhone would fail. He merely made several valid points about this type of product as it relates to BUSINESS USERS. He never made any reference to other possible uses. Since he was discussing a specific scenario judge it based on that.

#13 User is offline   gdieter 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

"If all you want is an e-reader, which is becoming a business tool for some, there are better and less-expensive options available."

Who wants just an e-reader?

#14 User is offline   gothicman02 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

Honestly, if people see this device as the way to pave a paperless system that PCs and tablets were suppose to do then I fear for the future. These devices have been out for YEARS people. People really need to wake up and realize that all Apple does is copy others devices and sell them for profit. Theirs nothing new or revolutionary about it, just because its Apple. There are tablet devices out there right now that are so much better than what Apple has to offer at a fraction of there prices. So please, for the love of god, look somewhere else before you follow the Apple trend and shell out $700 for a device with Apple's logo on it that's gimped down to a fraction of its capabilities.

#15 User is offline   ezdz 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

"However, when I use my iPhone for business it is in situations where I am using 3G wireless, which the tablet isn't expected to offer"

The tablet won't have 3g? I find that hard to believe, especially with the carrier speculation.

#16 User is offline   mtcoder 

• PipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:42 AM

"#ezycheez posted Tue Jan 26 10:02:25 PST 2010

No, it won't be something else to carry. It will be something that stays on a desk or coffee take or attached to a fridge as a shared calendar or next to the john or in a conference room as a way to interact with shared documents during a conference. In other words, the "concept" of the tablet is finally going to start ushering in the paperless world we've been hearing about for so long. Maybe Apple's tablet will be too expensive to be in everyone's home or office but it will legitimize the concepts and show everyone else how a table should be done. Yes, you will still have pc's, laptops, etc. What you won't have are magazines, binders, calendars, etc."

And people will just use the windows tablet which is running windows connects to the AD at the business, is controllable through powershell (can power that wall calendar off at night via code, instead of secretary).

I still have no idea or care why anyone wants or needs a "tablet" be it Apple or Microsoft.
I see it more for Apple than microsoft probably cause Microsoft has basically had tablets for decades now. Hell even had XP Tablet OS version.

Yes they were basically just laptops with rotating touch screens. But at the heart a tablet nowadays is nothing more or less than just that. A touchscreen laptop, but stripped down on components, power, ram, size to be more like a netbook. So not really sure what the fuss is about anyways, it's all the same stuff we have had for over 10 years, with a new name slapped around it.

Well almost a decade if your a Microsoft user, can't / don't recall seeing a touchscreen laptop on Mac with the OS to handle it, but I could be wrong. Not a huge MAC follower.

#17 User is offline   tmneff 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

You will never actually know what good the tablet is, or how people are going to use it, until Apple releases it. I know that my wife would love to have one in the kitchen to act as a cookbook, email station and hopefully do some crossword puzzles. She's not planning to "carry it." I do hope that the aftermarket makes some nice mounting options.

#18 User is offline   stargazerCT 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

Exactly the type of hack journalism you'd expect from PC World. David, I think it's time to consider another career that actually challenges you to think.

#19 User is offline   jon2010 

• Pip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

Roll up A4-sized “intelligent plastic” display. iNews.

#20 User is offline   platform 

• PipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

An Apple for gaming? HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA.....

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users