PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Beware Of "ophcrack"! - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beware Of "ophcrack"! This utility was recommended on PC World's bonus CD!

#1 User is offline   marcoangels2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

On PC World's Mastering Windows" volume 1, there is a utility suggested for cracking into a Vista PC to obtain the username and password. It is called "OPHCRACK", but do not go to www.ophcrack.com and access any of the available downloads, as you will allow a Trojan Virus to be introduced to your hard drive, making your PC non-bootable by regular means. You will also get error code "0xc000000f" and have to use Windows Repair Module to eventually get your PC back to working condition. PC World should be checking to make sure it's not directing it's readers to a Trojan nightmare! :angry:

This post has been edited by marcoangels2: 26 January 2010 - 06:51 PM

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you know what site you were direct to. I did a search and came up with a bunch ( one french which may be dubious).

http://www.bing.com/...FORM=MYMSNA=
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   Tunz 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

View Postmarcoangels2, on 26 January 2010 - 06:50 PM, said:

On PC World's Mastering Windows" volume 1, there is a utility suggested for cracking into a Vista PC to obtain the username and password. It is called "OPHCRACK", but do not go to www.ophcrack.com and access any of the available downloads, as you will allow a Trojan Virus to be introduced to your hard drive, making your PC non-bootable by regular means. You will also get error code "0xc000000f" and have to use Windows Repair Module to eventually get your PC back to working condition. PC World should be checking to make sure it's not directing it's readers to a Trojan nightmare! :angry:

PCWorld may have suggested Ophcrack as a possible solution, but I seriously doubt that they would have directed you to that particular site because the official sites are:
ophcrack.sourceforge.net
ophcrack.org
In any case, you should forget about Ophcrack; it is clumsy and slow. There are much better alternatives.
Hopefully, your warning about that site will prevent someone else's computer from getting hosed. Thanks for that.

This post has been edited by Tunz: 26 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

#4 User is offline   istanbul 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:16 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum,
you may consider an add-on for your browser,such as Web of Trust(WOT)that gives you green ticks for sites considered to be safe,and to warn you when a site is considered to be Not safe. http://www.mywot.com/ İt's FREE.
Also a security program that checks all downloads,that informs you of their safety (or lack of) and will delete unsafe downloads straight away,is something to consider.

Let us know if you're interested in knowing more. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by istanbul: 28 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

#5 User is offline   marcoangels2 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

View PostTunz, on 26 January 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

PCWorld may have suggested Ophcrack as a possible solution, but I seriously doubt that they would have directed you to that particular site because the official sites are:
ophcrack.sourceforge.net
ophcrack.org
In any case, you should forget about Ophcrack; it is clumsy and slow. There are much better alternatives.
Hopefully, your warning about that site will prevent someone else's computer from getting hosed. Thanks for that.

Hi, can you suggest some alternate utilities that are better and safer than ophcrack, for getting into a vista pc when you don't know the user name or password? Thanks

#6 User is offline   marcoangels2 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:24 PM

View PostTunz, on 26 January 2010 - 08:33 PM, said:

ophcrack.sourceforge.net
ophcrack.org

The URL for ophcrack that I used was "ophcrack.sourceforge.net", which is what PC World recommended, and chose selection "download CD". My Norton Internet Security usually warns me about malicious downloads but it allowed that one, for some reason.

#7 User is offline   marcoangels2 

• Pip

Posted 28 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 26 January 2010 - 07:11 PM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Do you know what site you were direct to. I did a search and came up with a bunch ( one french which may be dubious).

http://www.bing.com/...FORM=MYMSNA=

The site I was directed to was "ophcrack.sourceforge.net" and I chose "download CD", which contained the Trojan. The other option, "download ophcrack", which I used on my XP desktop, was found to be malicious by Norton Internet Security, which is why I stopped that download and knew what had happened to my other PC.

#8 User is offline   compucv621 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

Yes, ophcrack is on sourceforge. I've used it before with no issues, and it works very well when trying to recover a forgotten password. Norton is probably picking it up because it does this. I've never had issues. Plus, an ISO shouldn't be giving too many issues. If you're concerned, try the bootable disc.

This post has been edited by compucv621: 29 January 2010 - 04:52 AM

#9 User is offline   XPalways 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

Well, today I had a VERY bad experience with ophrack. I downloaded the newest version (3.1.1, I think) from the opensource site, and I got a virus. The file is a ".exe", and when I downloaded it, ZoneAlarm (my anti-virus program) warned me about it. I disregarded the warning, and went on with the download. Everything seemed fine. So, I didn't worry about it and thought it was just ZoneAlarm being overly protective. Well, I got a rude awakening today. During its daily scan after startup, ZoneAlarm caught the virus. So, I clicked the "treat" button, and all was well - or so I thought. No more than an hour later, ZoneAlarm scanned again, and guess what - 5 viruses all from, you guessed it, ophrack. This time, it told me that the viruses needed "advanced treatment".
Again, this was from the opensource website. I'm guessing, because I have hardly any 'computer-geek' experience, that when I "treated" the virus, that triggered it to multiply. I don't know for sure - all I know is that I got a virus from ophrack at the opensource website, and I had to re-install Windows - the system restore did not work.
I would NOT consider ophrack safe.

This post has been edited by XPalways: 23 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

#10 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostXPalways, on 23 April 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Well, today I had a VERY bad experience with ophrack. I downloaded the newest version (3.1.1, I think) from the opensource site, and I got a virus. The file is a ".exe", and when I downloaded it, ZoneAlarm (my anti-virus program) warned me about it. I disregarded the warning, and went on with the download. Everything seemed fine. So, I didn't worry about it and thought it was just ZoneAlarm being overly protective. Well, I got a rude awakening today. During its daily scan after startup, ZoneAlarm caught the virus. So, I clicked the "treat" button, and all was well - or so I thought. No more than an hour later, ZoneAlarm scanned again, and guess what - 5 viruses all from, you guessed it, ophrack. This time, it told me that the viruses needed "advanced treatment".
Again, this was from the opensource website. I'm guessing, because I have hardly any 'computer-geek' experience, that when I "treated" the virus, that triggered it to multiply. I don't know for sure - all I know is that I got a virus from ophrack at the opensource website, and I had to re-install Windows - the system restore did not work.

Hi and welcome to the forums. You shouldn't piggy back your problem onto another thread. You will have a better chance of getting a reply to your problem if you start your own thread. Having Said that try downloading, installing, Updating, and running : www.malwarebytes.org ( the free version ).
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#11 User is offline   XPalways 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

View Postcoastie65, on 23 April 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

View PostXPalways, on 23 April 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Hi and welcome to the forums. You shouldn't piggy back your problem onto another thread. You will have a better chance of getting a reply to your problem if you start your own thread. Having Said that try downloading, installing, Updating, and running : www.malwarebytes.org ( the free version ).

Ooops :). My mistake. Thanks, but I got it treated thanks to ZoneAlarm and McAfee.

This post has been edited by XPalways: 25 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users