• You cannot reply to this topic

Hp G60 Recovery Fails

#1 User is offline   compucv621 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:49 AM

Hello,

I've been trying to fix a laptop for a friend - the HP G60. She was apparently trying to do a recovery, when it popped up near the end of the process and said that it had failed. After talking to her more, I got the impression that she has been doing a recovery every time something very minor goes wrong. In this case, it was a program that failed to activate. When I try to run the recovery process, I get the same results. The exact error is "detect some error during PBINST.BBV". If you click retry, the computer boots, but then Windows says the installation has failed, and to reboot. This happens continuously. Now if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, open Task Manager, and kill the Runonce.exe process, explorer pops up and I can use Windows again like I could if the install was ok. I read that the wireless causes the issue, but I've messed around with that in every way possible with no such luck. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue, or if they know how to fix it.

#2 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:00 AM

View Postcompucv621, on 29 January 2010 - 04:49 AM, said:

Hello,

I've been trying to fix a laptop for a friend - the HP G60. She was apparently trying to do a recovery, when it popped up near the end of the process and said that it had failed. After talking to her more, I got the impression that she has been doing a recovery every time something very minor goes wrong. In this case, it was a program that failed to activate. When I try to run the recovery process, I get the same results. The exact error is "detect some error during PBINST.BBV". If you click retry, the computer boots, but then Windows says the installation has failed, and to reboot. This happens continuously. Now if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, open Task Manager, and kill the Runonce.exe process, explorer pops up and I can use Windows again like I could if the install was ok. I read that the wireless causes the issue, but I've messed around with that in every way possible with no such luck. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue, or if they know how to fix it.

What program was she trying to install?

What Operating System and did the machine ship with it?

Did she burn the recovery discs when the initially started the machine the first time as she was prompted to?

What is the exact model of the G60?
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Just to be sure...when you say "Recovery" are you talking about using the Recovery discs/partition that the computer uses to "re-install" Windows? Or are you talking about using Windows Restore to take the computer back to a previous Windows restore point? I assume the former, but wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   compucv621 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:39 PM

View Postsmax013, on 29 January 2010 - 11:57 AM, said:

Just to be sure...when you say "Recovery" are you talking about using the Recovery discs/partition that the computer uses to "re-install" Windows? Or are you talking about using Windows Restore to take the computer back to a previous Windows restore point? I assume the former, but wanted to make sure we were all on the same page.

Yep, the recovery partition. You hit Escape to access the menu during startup then F11 to do recovery I believe it was.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

View Postcompucv621, on 29 January 2010 - 12:39 PM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 29 January 2010 - 11:57 AM, said:

Yep, the recovery partition. You hit Escape to access the menu during startup then F11 to do recovery I believe it was.

That being the case, then I would suggest that answering rgreen4's questions would be the next step.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   compucv621 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

View Postrgreen4, on 29 January 2010 - 06:00 AM, said:

View Postcompucv621, on 29 January 2010 - 04:49 AM, said:

Hello,

What program was she trying to install?

What Operating System and did the machine ship with it?

Did she burn the recovery discs when the initially started the machine the first time as she was prompted to?

What is the exact model of the G60?

Sorry, I didn't see your post there. She was installing some DVD program, and somehow the trial ran out, and it wouldn't let her put in the key. This is why she did the recovery (I know it's a lame excuse to do it, she didn't say anything to me about it until the recovery had already failed). The laptop shipped with Vista Home Premium, and there were no recovery discs - just the recovery partition. If there are recovery discs that can be made, I'll just get into Windows and try to do it from there. The issue is that it fails, then Windows says the install failed on next boot. But I can get around it. The exact model is G60-230US.

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

View Postcompucv621, on 29 January 2010 - 03:02 PM, said:

Sorry, I didn't see your post there. She was installing some DVD program, and somehow the trial ran out, and it wouldn't let her put in the key. This is why she did the recovery (I know it's a lame excuse to do it, she didn't say anything to me about it until the recovery had already failed). The laptop shipped with Vista Home Premium, and there were no recovery discs - just the recovery partition. If there are recovery discs that can be made, I'll just get into Windows and try to do it from there. The issue is that it fails, then Windows says the install failed on next boot. But I can get around it. The exact model is G60-230US.

With an HP computer, you should be able to make a set of recovery discs from the recovery partition. Just find the HP recovery program in the Start Menu.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

View Postcompucv621, on 29 January 2010 - 03:02 PM, said:

The recovery partition is either compromised or there is something else keeping it from recovering. You can try to create a set, here are the instructions from their site:

Posted Image

Keep in mind that if the recovery partition is compromised, the creation of the DVD may fail or may itself be compromised. At worst, it will cost you a DVD to find out.

If the one your created does not work, you can still order one from HP. Actually the owner should order it, and the serial number is required in the ordering process. Here is the page listing the recovery discs. (Actually this page is for the 32bit discs, to order the 64bit discs, just click in the model number in blue in the upper part of the page, then on software downloads, then Vista 64bit.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users