PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: No Sound On Blu Ray With Hdmi Pc To Tv Connection - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Sound On Blu Ray With Hdmi Pc To Tv Connection

#1 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:15 AM

After I rebuilt my primary computer I modified my old box to be a "media server" (I may be stretching the definition a bit). The specs are:
Pentium 4 3.2
2GB DDR400 RAM
ATI 4650 AGP Video with HDMI/DVI/VGA out
LG Blu ray optical drive
Gigabyte microATX motherboard with onboard everything else
I'm hooked up to a 32" Vizio LCD with 720p (1366 X 728, I think).
Here's my problem: When I connect to the TV using VGA and line in audio I can see AND hear blu ray movies. If I try hooking up using HDMI (with or without the line in audio) I can see the movie but not hear it.
I've tried going in to Sound properties and testing the different devices shown but only the analog stereo speakers will work (again, with line in audio connected to the TV), not the digital or the fancy one that installed with my video card (I can't remember what it's called).
The picture on VGA is so good I can't see a difference between it and the HDMI picture so I'm probably not missing anything but I'd still like to know if I'm doing anything wrong.
Thanks in advance,
Bryan
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

#2 User is offline   DavidAyala 

• Pip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

A few things:

1. Make sure you're going HDMI to HDMI and not DVI to HDMI. DVI signals don't transmit sound.

2. In sound properties, set the digital signal as default (not just clicking it). That's usually what I have to do to send the sound signal. Also, there may be an issue with your TV especially if you're going into a computer designated HDMI port.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

View Postcompnovo, on 02 February 2010 - 08:15 AM, said:

After I rebuilt my primary computer I modified my old box to be a "media server" (I may be stretching the definition a bit). The specs are:
Pentium 4 3.2
2GB DDR400 RAM
ATI 4650 AGP Video with HDMI/DVI/VGA out
LG Blu ray optical drive
Gigabyte microATX motherboard with onboard everything else
I'm hooked up to a 32" Vizio LCD with 720p (1366 X 728, I think).
Here's my problem: When I connect to the TV using VGA and line in audio I can see AND hear blu ray movies. If I try hooking up using HDMI (with or without the line in audio) I can see the movie but not hear it.
I've tried going in to Sound properties and testing the different devices shown but only the analog stereo speakers will work (again, with line in audio connected to the TV), not the digital or the fancy one that installed with my video card (I can't remember what it's called).
The picture on VGA is so good I can't see a difference between it and the HDMI picture so I'm probably not missing anything but I'd still like to know if I'm doing anything wrong.
Thanks in advance,
Bryan

Unless your computer has an HDMI output port that is setup to also carry audio (i.e. it is "tied into" the audio system of the computer), you will need to supply the audio over a separate cable. This would be the same as if you use a DVI to HDMI cable to go from a DVI port on the computer to a HDMI port on the TV. Most HDTVs these days have HDMI input #1 setup to also be a "DVI input". They do this by providing an audio input that is "associated" with HDMI input #1 which allows you to take an audio cable from the audio output of the computer to the TV. Usually, this will be analog sound, but there might be some TVs that also can do digital.

If you have no way to input separate digital picture through an HDMI cable and digital audio through some digital audio connection, then you could look to a device such as this: http://www.newegg.co...0-370-_-Product

It would take a "pure" video DVI/HDMI signal and "combine" it with a digital audio signal into an HDMI output of video and audio.

What is the model of your HDTV? We might be able to look up its connections and come up with other options.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   compnovo 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Thanks to both responders.
DavidAlayal,
Yes the connection with no sound was HDMI to HDMI, and although I didn't try setting the digital signal as default I did try testing it, but no sound (as with the other non-analog option, high definition device.
Scott,
I think I'll just stay with the VGA and analog audio, it's giving be probably the best quality I'm going to get on this TV anyway (32" Vizio HDTV 720p). Your recommendation sadly doesn't fit in my budget (I blew that upgrading my primary computer).
Core i7 4771 - Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 - 250GB Samsung 840 SSD - 2TB Toshiba HDD - PNY GTX760 - 16GB G.Skill Ares 1333 - Corsair Carbide 200R - Corsair 600w - Win8.1 Pro 64-bit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users