Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Win7 Lock Icon

#1 User is offline   joesgig 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

I am using windows 7 on a Dell xps1340 portable and when I go to folder view I find a lock icon beside some folders (like doc and settings) and I am not allowed to open or view the folder contents, this seems to be only in windows 7.
Can anybody help ?

#2 User is offline   jeffwindowsteam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

View Postjoesgig, on 05 February 2010 - 10:58 AM, said:

I am using windows 7 on a Dell xps1340 portable and when I go to folder view I find a lock icon beside some folders (like doc and settings) and I am not allowed to open or view the folder contents, this seems to be only in windows 7.
Can anybody help ?

Often times this is by design to keep people from messing with files that should be left untouched.

Can you give a full file path name so that we can get an idea of what folders have these locks?

#3 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Can anybody help ?

What version of Windows 7 are you running? (I have Win7 Home Premium on three machines and have never seen a lock icon. But these are home machines.)

Do you see the lock icons when using the laptop at home on a home network or directly connected to a broad band modem?

How are you accessing the "folder view"?

Is your user status Administrator or Standard User?
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   ManagerIT 

• Pip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:03 AM

Can anybody help ?

OS that you use which is Windows7 has a feature called a "bitlocker"...
the tool which encrypts certain Files/Folders in order to give access only to the desired user.....
who has created or done the same.... the bitlocker might be enabled.....
Disable the feature it might help you out then......

#5 User is offline   BGG001 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

Can anybody help ?

I have a couple as well, I'm not sure exactly what they are though. They're certainly locked down by the system, for what I can only speculate. They have the same permissions as a user created folder; however, when I go to delete my folder, it says it's no longer existent and to refresh the page. Refresh and it's still there. I'll give the two locations of my folders and maybe someone can find out what they are.

C:\$WINDOWS.~Q\DATA\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SecuROM\UserData
-Contents: ЃϵϳЅЂϿϽϯІχϯπρϴϱЄϱЃϵϳЅ and ЃϵϳЅЂϿϽϯІχϯπρЂϻϵЉЃϵϳЅ (no extensions, first is 4.84KB, second 16B)

C:\f5f71696f5b00d287123279c5b7b
-Contents: Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.rar; Windows6.1-KB958559-x64.xml; Windows6.1-KB958559-x64-pkgProperties.txt; WSUSSCAN.rar

After my own analysis, it appears that they're made after installations. The second location contains data regarding Windows Virtual PC Installation...the second is SecuROM (this scares me), which is an anti-piracy format for DVDs.

EDIT: My OS: Windows 7 Home Premium x64

This post has been edited by BGG001: 11 February 2010 - 11:57 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users