Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Difference Between Windows 7 Oem And Retail

#1 User is offline   AMG7813 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

I want to know the difference between Microsoft Windows 7 OEM and Retail version. I know that the retail version comes with support and everything and OEM is just a disc with one-time install. But what if you want to do a clean install on the same computer again after reformatting the hard drive? Would it let you?

#2 User is offline   quackadilly 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

View PostAMG7813, on 06 February 2010 - 07:57 AM, said:

I want to know the difference between Microsoft Windows 7 OEM and Retail version. I know that the retail version comes with support and everything and OEM is just a disc with one-time install. But what if you want to do a clean install on the same computer again after reformatting the hard drive? Would it let you?

That is the only difference from what I've seen. But you can install more than once, it's the key that can only be used once. You can install without using the key and "rearm" the installation to get like 3 or 4 months worth out of the un-registered install. Rinse and repeat if you want.

I always buy OEM, it's cheaper and I don't need tech support.

#3 User is offline   Rommel 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:31 PM

Yes it will let you.
You will need to reactivate but that should not be an issue as all things are the same however it identifies itself with the PC.

I have reformatted many times my OEM XP.
7 is the same.

The OEM is to be used only on the first PC its installed on. Dell, Hp, whatever.

If you build your own computers it is only to used with the motherboard it was first installed to work with.

I had a product key situation recently and that is how it was told to me through the microsoft agent.

Rommel

This post has been edited by Rommel: 06 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

#4 User is offline   states 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thank you for the information. I want to confirm.... so when we use OEM, we can only install it on one computer (because it recognize the mainboard) but we can still re-install it in case our computer is having trouble/crash.

On the other hand, Retail (the more expensive one) can be used on one computer (ex: Notebook A) but we can "uninstall" from Notebook A and install the Windows into Notebook B, in the future.

is that correct?

#5 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:29 AM

View Poststates, on 20 November 2010 - 06:41 PM, said:

Thank you for the information. I want to confirm.... so when we use OEM, we can only install it on one computer (because it recognize the mainboard) but we can still re-install it in case our computer is having trouble/crash.

On the other hand, Retail (the more expensive one) can be used on one computer (ex: Notebook A) but we can "uninstall" from Notebook A and install the Windows into Notebook B, in the future.

is that correct?

Yep, that is pretty much the long and short of it. This computer is Set up as a Dual boot with Vista ( OEM ) and Windows 7. I was going to change the Motherboard in it to one that was unlocked. I would have needed to do a sysprep ( Wipe the hardware profile ) beforehand on Vista, but Windows 7 would have been no problem as all I would have had to do was reactivate that after installation.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#6 User is offline   BGG001 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:06 AM

View PostRommel, on 06 February 2010 - 12:31 PM, said:

Yes it will let you.
You will need to reactivate but that should not be an issue as all things are the same however it identifies itself with the PC.

7 is the same.

The OEM is to be used only on the first PC its installed on. Dell, Hp, whatever.

If you build your own computers it is only to used with the motherboard it was first installed to work with.

I had a product key situation recently and that is how it was told to me through the microsoft agent.

Rommel

I had always wondered how that worked from all the times I've done clean installs. I assumed that they noticed that they paid attention to MAC addresses and the key and where it's being used.

Makes me wonder how this would work if I bought a new motherboard?

#7 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostBGG001, on 29 November 2010 - 12:06 AM, said:

Yes it will let you.

7 is the same.

Rommel

I had always wondered how that worked from all the times I've done clean installs. I assumed that they noticed that they paid attention to MAC addresses and the key and where it's being used.

A change of motherboard is considered a change of computer - meaning that your OEM product key will no longer activate.
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#8 User is offline   BGG001 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

View PostLiveBrianD, on 29 November 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

Yes it will let you.

7 is the same.

Rommel

A change of motherboard is considered a change of computer - meaning that your OEM product key will no longer activate.

What I meant (and should have said...my fault) was I wonder how it would it work out if you contacted Microsoft about it?

#9 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

View PostBGG001, on 01 December 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

View PostLiveBrianD, on 29 November 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

Yes it will let you.

7 is the same.

Rommel

What I meant (and should have said...my fault) was I wonder how it would it work out if you contacted Microsoft about it?

I think in activating you choose "activate by phone", tell them a code that appears, and they give you a code to type in. At least, that's what the activation wizard says (I've never done it myself).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#10 User is offline   w7pro 

• PipPip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Hi, my name is Ryan and I'm with the Windows 7 Professional Outreach team. There's some information about the features of Windows 7 that can be found here: http://bit.ly/WhyWin7Pro. Good luck!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users