PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Disk Drive Does Not Recognize Blank Disks - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disk Drive Does Not Recognize Blank Disks

#1 User is offline   Jimbo66 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 31-January 10

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:09 PM

I have an HP Pavilion a815n. I use my DVD/CD drive (E:) to copy info onto blank CD-RW disks. Suddenly my drive will not recognize any blank disks. When I insert a full CD-RW disk, it opens OK and all the docs open. But when I insert a blank CD-RW disk, this warning appears: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". In all cases I click Properties, then Hardware and it shows "This device is working properly" and shows "enabled". The ONLY difference is when I click Properties, then General. The working CD shows "File system: CDFS", but the non-working blank disk shows "File system: RAW". I've always used these blank disks to store files so why would they be suddenly not recognized? Thank you.
1

#2 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:31 PM

View PostJimbo66, on 06 February 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

I have an HP Pavilion a815n. I use my DVD/CD drive (E:) to copy info onto blank CD-RW disks. Suddenly my drive will not recognize any blank disks. When I insert a full CD-RW disk, it opens OK and all the docs open. But when I insert a blank CD-RW disk, this warning appears: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". In all cases I click Properties, then Hardware and it shows "This device is working properly" and shows "enabled". The ONLY difference is when I click Properties, then General. The working CD shows "File system: CDFS", but the non-working blank disk shows "File system: RAW". I've always used these blank disks to store files so why would they be suddenly not recognized? Thank you.


Greetings! Welcome to the PCWorld forums!

Are the discs the same brand as you have been using for a while? From the same pack of discs that have been working? Sometimes drives can be "picky" about which discs they will "like" and "not like". Thus, if you got a new package of discs, it is possible that there is something about this package of discs that your drive does not like. If this is a new package of discs, you could try another brand/package and see it that changes anything.

Have you tried cleaning the optical drive? After times the optical drive lenses can get dirty, which can cause them to have trouble with discs. To be honest, I doubt this is the issue, but it is a relatively easy things to try dealing with and it never really hurts to clean the drive.

What have you been using to burn the discs? Are you using the regular Windows burning function? Or using a program like Nero or Roxio? If either Nero or Roxio, have you been using the packet writing software (such as InCD, DirectCD or DLA) to put the files on the discs?
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#3 User is offline   Jimbo66 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 31-January 10

Posted 07 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

View Postsmax013, on 06 February 2010 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostJimbo66, on 06 February 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

I have an HP Pavilion a815n. I use my DVD/CD drive (E:) to copy info onto blank CD-RW disks. Suddenly my drive will not recognize any blank disks. When I insert a full CD-RW disk, it opens OK and all the docs open. But when I insert a blank CD-RW disk, this warning appears: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". In all cases I click Properties, then Hardware and it shows "This device is working properly" and shows "enabled". The ONLY difference is when I click Properties, then General. The working CD shows "File system: CDFS", but the non-working blank disk shows "File system: RAW". I've always used these blank disks to store files so why would they be suddenly not recognized? Thank you.


Greetings! Welcome to the PCWorld forums!

Are the discs the same brand as you have been using for a while? From the same pack of discs that have been working? Sometimes drives can be "picky" about which discs they will "like" and "not like". Thus, if you got a new package of discs, it is possible that there is something about this package of discs that your drive does not like. If this is a new package of discs, you could try another brand/package and see it that changes anything.

Have you tried cleaning the optical drive? After times the optical drive lenses can get dirty, which can cause them to have trouble with discs. To be honest, I doubt this is the issue, but it is a relatively easy things to try dealing with and it never really hurts to clean the drive.

What have you been using to burn the discs? Are you using the regular Windows burning function? Or using a program like Nero or Roxio? If either Nero or Roxio, have you been using the packet writing software (such as InCD, DirectCD or DLA) to put the files on the discs?



Thank you for the quick response to my problem. To answer your questions: the blank disks that are not being recognized are Sony CD-RW and are from the same pack as the disks that have worked before. To check if there were some bad disks I tried all of my remaining 9 disks and the same problem continued. The only change (other than the file system name change mentioned above)is the fact that the green light goes off when I insert the blank disks but stays on when I insert my full disks. And I've used the Windows burning function for all my successful CDs.
I can try cleaning the drive -- do I clean from the outside or do I open the tower? Also, do I use a compressed gas duster or a small vaccum? (Sorry for all the questions but as you can see I'm not very computer-savvy!)
Thanks for you help.
0

#4 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 07 February 2010 - 04:00 PM

View PostJimbo66, on 06 February 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

I have an HP Pavilion a815n. I use my DVD/CD drive (E:) to copy info onto blank CD-RW disks. Suddenly my drive will not recognize any blank disks. When I insert a full CD-RW disk, it opens OK and all the docs open. But when I insert a blank CD-RW disk, this warning appears: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". In all cases I click Properties, then Hardware and it shows "This device is working properly" and shows "enabled". The ONLY difference is when I click Properties, then General. The working CD shows "File system: CDFS", but the non-working blank disk shows "File system: RAW". I've always used these blank disks to store files so why would they be suddenly not recognized? Thank you.

hi, Jim. Have you tried CD-Rs? Can you write to those?

And what software are you using to write to them?

CD-RWs differ from CD-Rs in that they can be erased and reused. But as CDs aren't an inherently erasable format, this can get a little weird. Without special software (which has to format the discs), you can't erase individual files from them like you could a hard or flash drive. You can only erase the whole disc and start over.

Lincoln
0

#5 User is offline   Jimbo66 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 31-January 10

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 07 February 2010 - 04:00 PM, said:

View PostJimbo66, on 06 February 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

I have an HP Pavilion a815n. I use my DVD/CD drive (E:) to copy info onto blank CD-RW disks. Suddenly my drive will not recognize any blank disks. When I insert a full CD-RW disk, it opens OK and all the docs open. But when I insert a blank CD-RW disk, this warning appears: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". In all cases I click Properties, then Hardware and it shows "This device is working properly" and shows "enabled". The ONLY difference is when I click Properties, then General. The working CD shows "File system: CDFS", but the non-working blank disk shows "File system: RAW". I've always used these blank disks to store files so why would they be suddenly not recognized? Thank you.

hi, Jim. Have you tried CD-Rs? Can you write to those?

And what software are you using to write to them?

CD-RWs differ from CD-Rs in that they can be erased and reused. But as CDs aren't an inherently erasable format, this can get a little weird. Without special software (which has to format the discs), you can't erase individual files from them like you could a hard or flash drive. You can only erase the whole disc and start over.

Lincoln



Hi Lincoln,

In the past I've also burned on CD-Rs and when I insert the ones with content I have no problems -- I can open all the content. However when I insert a blank CD-R, I get the same message as I got with the blank CD-RW's: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". I don't understand why the drive won't read the blank disks that I've always used to burn content on (either photos, audio or documents). If the drive were broken I assume it would not accept any disks, whether blank or full.
Thanks.
0

#6 User is offline   LincolnSpector 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,611
  • Joined: 16-October 06

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

View PostJimbo66, on 08 February 2010 - 02:02 PM, said:

Hi Lincoln,

In the past I've also burned on CD-Rs and when I insert the ones with content I have no problems -- I can open all the content. However when I insert a blank CD-R, I get the same message as I got with the blank CD-RW's: "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect Function". I don't understand why the drive won't read the blank disks that I've always used to burn content on (either photos, audio or documents). If the drive were broken I assume it would not accept any disks, whether blank or full.
Thanks.

I'm no expert on the inner workings of optical drives, but I could easily imagine a defective drive that could still read okay but fails to write.

But this could still be a software problem. What program are you trying to burn the CDs with? And in what operating system?

Lincoln
0

#7 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:45 AM

View PostLincolnSpector, on 09 February 2010 - 09:43 AM, said:

I'm no expert on the inner workings of optical drives, but I could easily imagine a defective drive that could still read okay but fails to write.

But this could still be a software problem. What program are you trying to burn the CDs with? And in what operating system?

Lincoln


I believe the read sensor and the write sensor are physically separate items. We have had some that would write but not read in the forums in the past.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

#8 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

View PostJimbo66, on 07 February 2010 - 09:04 AM, said:


I can try cleaning the drive -- do I clean from the outside or do I open the tower? Also, do I use a compressed gas duster or a small vaccum? (Sorry for all the questions but as you can see I'm not very computer-savvy!)
Thanks for you help.


If you still want to try cleaning the drive, there are discs you can get to clean the drives.
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#9 User is offline   blogreaction 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 19-July 10

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

I've come across this before and have had to reformat once and replace the drive a couple of times. It seems like they are not making drives as high of quality as they used to.
0

#10 User is offline   CassandraJohnson 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 31-January 11
  • Location:California, USA

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:09 AM

View Postblogreaction, on 20 July 2010 - 07:27 PM, said:

I've come across this before and have had to reformat once and replace the drive a couple of times. It seems like they are not making drives as high of quality as they used to.


I am having the same problem with my DVD/CD Rewritable drive except that I either get the "incorrect function" message or one that says that the disk I have inserted is either full or write protected or that it is not a rewritable disk even though it is. Then a couple of days later it will all of a sudden read the disk correctly. And, yes....these are disks that I have used many times before. And I have cleaned the "eye" several times. (if it makes a difference my DVD/CD Rewritable drive is 3 1/2 years old.)
0

#11 User is offline   coastie65 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 20,651
  • Joined: 02-April 07
  • Location:Henrico, Va.

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

View PostCassandraJohnson, on 31 January 2011 - 05:09 AM, said:

View Postblogreaction, on 20 July 2010 - 07:27 PM, said:

I've come across this before and have had to reformat once and replace the drive a couple of times. It seems like they are not making drives as high of quality as they used to.


I am having the same problem with my DVD/CD Rewritable drive except that I either get the "incorrect function" message or one that says that the disk I have inserted is either full or write protected or that it is not a rewritable disk even though it is. Then a couple of days later it will all of a sudden read the disk correctly. And, yes....these are disks that I have used many times before. And I have cleaned the "eye" several times. (if it makes a difference my DVD/CD Rewritable drive is 3 1/2 years old.)


Hi Cassandra, It is never a good idea tp piggy back a problem on to another. You have a better chance of getting help if you start your own thread, even if the probleem is similar to another. That having been said, it could be that your Optical drive may be failing. You can try to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them. Go to the device manager, then right click on the Optical drive ( CD-DVD ) and then uninstall. Once you have done this, go back to the desktop and restart your computer and this should reload the drivers. If this doesn't help, then you may need to get a new drive such as this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106333 You didn'y post your Computer make & model, so I don't know if your drive is SATA or IDE. If it is IDE then this one:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827106328

This post has been edited by coastie65: 31 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS




______________________________________________________________

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.
0

#12 User is offline   rgreen4 

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 9,206
  • Joined: 22-October 06
  • Location:S. Georgia

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:49 AM

Since they are so inexpensive now (I paid over $200 for my first CD burner), I usually keep one or two on hand (also used in building new machines). I have recently had to replace the drive on this machine when it would no longer play DVD's. I didn't bother with any of the diagnostics, just popped in a new drive. End of problems.

Now that I have used my last SATA burner, it's time to order a few more.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users