PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Samsung Gt-s5230 Sms Problems. - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Samsung Gt-s5230 Sms Problems. Memoery card not used?

#1 User is offline   WhiteCat 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
A friend of mine owns the above phone, A Samsung GT-S5230. It's about 3 months old. I bought her a 2Gb card. The card is recognised by the phone when the phone is turned on, with the "memory card icon" on the phone's screen when turned on.

But for the life of me, or her, we can not work out how to get the phone to actually use the memory!
She constantly gets "SIM card full" messages when sending and receiving SMS. To the extent that she can not have more than 200 or so SMS TXTS in her sent & received folder at the same time.

The manual just says "insert memory card here", and shows where to put it, it makes no mention of how to actually use it!

I have a four year old Motorola Razor V1 that does not even have a slot for extra memory and I can easily have over 1,000 sent AND 1,000 received messages...

Anyone care to say how to get the damn phone to use the card? I send messages and she deos nto get them, as her SIM card is full, while at the same time she has 2GB of unused memory!

Ty in advance for help!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:49 AM

View PostWhiteCat, on 14 February 2010 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hi,
A friend of mine owns the above phone, A Samsung GT-S5230. It's about 3 months old. I bought her a 2Gb card. The card is recognised by the phone when the phone is turned on, with the "memory card icon" on the phone's screen when turned on.

But for the life of me, or her, we can not work out how to get the phone to actually use the memory!
She constantly gets "SIM card full" messages when sending and receiving SMS. To the extent that she can not have more than 200 or so SMS TXTS in her sent & received folder at the same time.

The manual just says "insert memory card here", and shows where to put it, it makes no mention of how to actually use it!

I have a four year old Motorola Razor V1 that does not even have a slot for extra memory and I can easily have over 1,000 sent AND 1,000 received messages...

Anyone care to say how to get the damn phone to use the card? I send messages and she deos nto get them, as her SIM card is full, while at the same time she has 2GB of unused memory!

Ty in advance for help!

Greetings! Welcome to the PCWorld forums!

You might need to check to see if the phone will actually use the additional memory for storage of SMS messages. My guess would be that it does not. Usually additional memory cards can only be used for certainly things like storage of photos from the camera or songs if the phone has a media player...and maybe apps if the phone has apps, but sometimes phones that use apps will not actually run apps from a memory card.

There is a good chance that the phone only uses "available system" memory for something like SMS messages. If so, then the only alternative would likely be to delete some SMS messages.

Have you talked to the mobile phone provider (assuming this is a US phone...usually the mobile phone service supports the phones as well...usually poorly, but they still are usually your support channel for your phone)?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   WhiteCat 

• Pip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:23 PM

View Postsmax013, on 15 February 2010 - 03:49 AM, said:

View PostWhiteCat, on 14 February 2010 - 12:27 PM, said:

Hi,

Ty in advance for help!

Greetings! Welcome to the PCWorld forums!

You might need to check to see if the phone will actually use the additional memory for storage of SMS messages. My guess would be that it does not. Usually additional memory cards can only be used for certainly things like storage of photos from the camera or songs if the phone has a media player...and maybe apps if the phone has apps, but sometimes phones that use apps will not actually run apps from a memory card.

There is a good chance that the phone only uses "available system" memory for something like SMS messages. If so, then the only alternative would likely be to delete some SMS messages.

Have you talked to the mobile phone provider (assuming this is a US phone...usually the mobile phone service supports the phones as well...usually poorly, but they still are usually your support channel for your phone)?

You may be right, but it seems a bit odd that my phone that is six or more years old can store over 2,000 SMS messages with no memory card and have room for more, and a phone less that 6 months old with 2GB of additional memory gets full with under 500 messages....

Perhaps the real answer is do not buy a Samsung phone, get a Motorola?

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:34 PM

View PostWhiteCat, on 15 February 2010 - 12:23 PM, said:

You may be right, but it seems a bit odd that my phone that is six or more years old can store over 2,000 SMS messages with no memory card and have room for more, and a phone less that 6 months old with 2GB of additional memory gets full with under 500 messages....

Perhaps the real answer is do not buy a Samsung phone, get a Motorola?

If I am right, then the extra memory card has nothing to do with it...it is just that the Samsung phone was designed with a smaller usable "system memory" than your older Motorola phone.

And according to the specs, it seems that I might be on the right track.

http://www.samsung.c...spec&fullspec=F

Scroll down to the memory section. It lists "SMS Memory" as "200" (does not specify what units that is...i.e. 200 KB, 200 MB, 200 messages, etc). Regardless, the implication is that it has "dedicated" memory for SMS messages.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users