Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problems With Hp's Support Unable to receive a refund

#1 User is offline   ZWH5 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Problems with the HP P6240F started around new year’s with the computer blue screening and crashing. F9 diagnostic tests passed everything but the same tests (PC Doctor) in more detail through the recovery disks revealed that half of the memory tests were in fact failing. HP didn’t care about these tests because the F9 system diagnostics passed. They had me reseed the memory and try to reinstall the operating system using the self-created recovery DVDs. During the reinstall, it either blue screened or gave me the error message: “Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image. Please contact HP support. Error code: 0xe0f0003.” HP several times told me this was not a valid error code and that they needed a blue screen code to do anything for me. I finally got my computer to bluescreen again after repeatedly trying to reinstall the OS. So I gave them the code 0x00000019 Bad_Pool_Header. This was not the only blue screen code I got while trying to reinstall the OS however. I have received Irql_Not_less_or_equal, win32k.sys, and several other bluescreens. Basically every time receiving a new and exciting blue screen of death.
Every tech I talked to wanted me to re-test my system using the F9 boot utility to test the system. Then to run a short SMART self-test on my hdd followed by an extended SMART self-test on my hdd. This process takes about 5 hours to complete and everything always passed except in the Advanced CPU and Memory test provided by PC Doctor on the recovery disks themselves. In which almost half the tests for the memory failed.
After 2 weeks back and forth with HP tech support I finally got a resolution of new recovery disks for my hp. The disks fixed the issue of the computer not recovering from partition or DVD for about a week before the computer started crashing again. HP told me to try recovery from the partition. I got error code: “Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image. Please contact HP support. Error code 0xe0ef0003.” They told me to try with the DVDs. I received the same error code so I started all over with tech support and they finally agreed to send me yet another set of recovery disks to fix the issue. These disks would not install for any amount of time. They asked me to run the same diagnostics again and looked up the same resolution: to send me a new set of recovery disks.
I was fed up at this point as the computer had not been working for about a month and asked to talk to a manager. They told me one would call back within 1-2 hours. 2 ½ hours later I called back into tech support and they told me my case had been escalated and I would be receiving a refund. Not believing the tech I asked to talk to her manager. It was at that time the manager then promised me I would indeed be getting a full refund when a case manager called me.
The next day a Case Manager called me and informed me that I could not have a refund at that time because it was not possible. After asking why several times I could not get a straight forward answer other than “It is not an option at this point in time.” ,“The manager was not authorized to give you a refund.”, and that I was “misinformed.”
After that I started calling HP’s corporate office trying to get someone who could actually help me. I got what they call their “executive customer relations” who told me only a case manager could grant me a refund at their discretion and that another case manager could review the tapes of my conversation with the HP tech manager where he promised me a refund. They asked if I wanted a Senior case manager and then told me one would call back within 3 days. 30 minutes later I was on the phone with my first case manager and he was telling me he could not listen to the tapes and could not give me a refund or a reason why he could not grant me a refund. I asked for a new case manager and he transferred me to someone else in his department and that case manager told me she understood my case and agreed with me but could not grant me a refund because “I can only do what the computer tells me to do and that is to send it in for repair.”
I spent some time back and forth between Exec customer relations and the case manager’s department and finally got an executive customer support agent to tell me a Complaint Manager would handle my refund and that I could only get a new case manager by requesting a new one from the one I already had. Also that I could not get a number for legal or transferred, only a fax number and e-mail address.
After a couple of days of not receiving any call from a Complaint Manager I called into tech support and asked to talk to a manager. The manager agreed that I should get a refund but said he could not grant a refund for such a high amount and that he would work with my case manager on my behalf to get me my refund.
This happened 3 times with tech support where either I talked to a manager who said he would talk to my case manager or the tech support agent talked to his manager and told me the manager would handle the refund. After a few more days I called in again and stayed on hold for 2 hours while the manager tried to talk to my case manager to get me my refund. I was eventually hung up on. I called back and explained the situation to another tech and spent an hour on hold while he told his manager. He came back after an hour to tell me the only option was repair. I asked to speak to his manager and he refused and then he hung up on me.
Finally I called corporate to ask why I had never gotten a call from a Complaint Manager and was told Executive Customer Relations handled the complaints for the case manager’s office. I registered a complaint and was told that Case Manager’s Supervisors did not take calls, nor did Executive Customer Relation’s Supervisors but that they would give them a message to call me back the next day.
A week later after receiving no calls and leaving numerous messages for my case manager I finally got a hold of my case manager and was told that “According to HP guidelines repair was the only option”. After quoting him the warranty ( http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01859513.pdf ) he still persisted that he could not grant me a refund at his discretion because of HP guidelines. I kindly asked him to quote me the guidelines or give me a place where I could look them up. He then told me they were internal guidelines and that he could not disclose them. I then asked for him to have his boss call me and he said that would be impossible. I asked to have a new case manager and he said since I had already received a second opinion telling me that I could not get a refund that that would be impossible also. I then asked for him to transfer me to the complaint department and he told me he was the complaint department.
So I ask myself, is HP’s internal guidelines simply to “misinform” people, make false promises, and to never ever under any circumstances give them a refund for their defective product?

One of the times I was on the phone with the Executive Customer Relations the representive suggested that I take the computer back to where I had originally bought it (office max) and get a refund from them. I explained office max had a 14 day return policy for computers and since I had purchased it when windows 7 originally came out on October 22nd it was a bit past that window. This was not the first time one of their techs had suggested I take my 3 month old computer back into the original retail store for a refund. So, desperate to get this mess over with, I called office max. The manager quoted me their return policy and told me that HP “was just trying to give me the run around.” He then suggested I write into PCWorld to possibly get some help.

This post has been edited by ZWH5: 16 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

View PostZWH5, on 16 February 2010 - 02:17 PM, said:

Problems with the HP P6240F started around new year’s with the computer blue screening and crashing. F9 diagnostic tests passed everything but the same tests (PC Doctor) in more detail through the recovery disks revealed that half of the memory tests were in fact failing. HP didn’t care about these tests because the F9 system diagnostics passed. They had me reseed the memory and try to reinstall the operating system using the self-created recovery DVDs. During the reinstall, it either blue screened or gave me the error message: “Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image. Please contact HP support. Error code: 0xe0f0003.” HP several times told me this was not a valid error code and that they needed a blue screen code to do anything for me. I finally got my computer to bluescreen again after repeatedly trying to reinstall the OS. So I gave them the code 0x00000019 Bad_Pool_Header. This was not the only blue screen code I got while trying to reinstall the OS however. I have received Irql_Not_less_or_equal, win32k.sys, and several other bluescreens. Basically every time receiving a new and exciting blue screen of death.
Every tech I talked to wanted me to re-test my system using the F9 boot utility to test the system. Then to run a short SMART self-test on my hdd followed by an extended SMART self-test on my hdd. This process takes about 5 hours to complete and everything always passed except in the Advanced CPU and Memory test provided by PC Doctor on the recovery disks themselves. In which almost half the tests for the memory failed.
After 2 weeks back and forth with HP tech support I finally got a resolution of new recovery disks for my hp. The disks fixed the issue of the computer not recovering from partition or DVD for about a week before the computer started crashing again. HP told me to try recovery from the partition. I got error code: “Recovery Manager could not restore your computer using the factory image. Please contact HP support. Error code 0xe0ef0003.” They told me to try with the DVDs. I received the same error code so I started all over with tech support and they finally agreed to send me yet another set of recovery disks to fix the issue. These disks would not install for any amount of time. They asked me to run the same diagnostics again and looked up the same resolution: to send me a new set of recovery disks.
I was fed up at this point as the computer had not been working for about a month and asked to talk to a manager. They told me one would call back within 1-2 hours. 2 ½ hours later I called back into tech support and they told me my case had been escalated and I would be receiving a refund. Not believing the tech I asked to talk to her manager. It was at that time the manager then promised me I would indeed be getting a full refund when a case manager called me.
The next day a Case Manager called me and informed me that I could not have a refund at that time because it was not possible. After asking why several times I could not get a straight forward answer other than “It is not an option at this point in time.” ,“The manager was not authorized to give you a refund.”, and that I was “misinformed.”
After that I started calling HP’s corporate office trying to get someone who could actually help me. I got what they call their “executive customer relations” who told me only a case manager could grant me a refund at their discretion and that another case manager could review the tapes of my conversation with the HP tech manager where he promised me a refund. They asked if I wanted a Senior case manager and then told me one would call back within 3 days. 30 minutes later I was on the phone with my first case manager and he was telling me he could not listen to the tapes and could not give me a refund or a reason why he could not grant me a refund. I asked for a new case manager and he transferred me to someone else in his department and that case manager told me she understood my case and agreed with me but could not grant me a refund because “I can only do what the computer tells me to do and that is to send it in for repair.”
I spent some time back and forth between Exec customer relations and the case manager’s department and finally got an executive customer support agent to tell me a Complaint Manager would handle my refund and that I could only get a new case manager by requesting a new one from the one I already had. Also that I could not get a number for legal or transferred, only a fax number and e-mail address.
After a couple of days of not receiving any call from a Complaint Manager I called into tech support and asked to talk to a manager. The manager agreed that I should get a refund but said he could not grant a refund for such a high amount and that he would work with my case manager on my behalf to get me my refund.
This happened 3 times with tech support where either I talked to a manager who said he would talk to my case manager or the tech support agent talked to his manager and told me the manager would handle the refund. After a few more days I called in again and stayed on hold for 2 hours while the manager tried to talk to my case manager to get me my refund. I was eventually hung up on. I called back and explained the situation to another tech and spent an hour on hold while he told his manager. He came back after an hour to tell me the only option was repair. I asked to speak to his manager and he refused and then he hung up on me.
Finally I called corporate to ask why I had never gotten a call from a Complaint Manager and was told Executive Customer Relations handled the complaints for the case manager’s office. I registered a complaint and was told that Case Manager’s Supervisors did not take calls, nor did Executive Customer Relation’s Supervisors but that they would give them a message to call me back the next day.
A week later after receiving no calls and leaving numerous messages for my case manager I finally got a hold of my case manager and was told that “According to HP guidelines repair was the only option”. After quoting him the warranty ( http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01859513.pdf ) he still persisted that he could not grant me a refund at his discretion because of HP guidelines. I kindly asked him to quote me the guidelines or give me a place where I could look them up. He then told me they were internal guidelines and that he could not disclose them. I then asked for him to have his boss call me and he said that would be impossible. I asked to have a new case manager and he said since I had already received a second opinion telling me that I could not get a refund that that would be impossible also. I then asked for him to transfer me to the complaint department and he told me he was the complaint department.
So I ask myself, is HP’s internal guidelines simply to “misinform” people, make false promises, and to never ever under any circumstances give them a refund for their defective product?

One of the times I was on the phone with the Executive Customer Relations the representive suggested that I take the computer back to where I had originally bought it (office max) and get a refund from them. I explained office max had a 14 day return policy for computers and since I had purchased it when windows 7 originally came out on October 22nd it was a bit past that window. This was not the first time one of their techs had suggested I take my 3 month old computer back into the original retail store for a refund. So, desperate to get this mess over with, I called office max. The manager quoted me their return policy and told me that HP “was just trying to give me the run around.” He then suggested I write into PCWorld to possibly get some help.

I feel your pain. After reading all that, I fell like calling HP support to yell at someone! Unfortunately, that does not help you much.

In an effort to try to get the On Your Side folks to potentially help you out, you might want to also email this to onyourside@pcworld.com as I am not sure how often they check this forum.

Beyond that, you might also try finding out the CEO information and writing a "snail mail" letter to the CEO. If you do, keep it polite and civil and stick to the facts just like you did above. While it more than likely will result in the waste of a stamp, it might actually get you somewhere. I wrote the CEO of Symantec YEARS ago (before they kind went down the toilet in my opinion) about an issue I had with my copy/license for Symantec Anti-virus for the Mac and it actually got me results.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:24 PM

Whew!!!! What a mess. I think smax pretty well covered what should be done. Unfortunately, this seems to be the case with HP from what I have been seeing around the various forums. The Elite Desktop had a bad motherboard and they weren't too forthcoming on that either, from what I saw. I do have an HP All-in-One Printer, but it has done well thankfully. Anyway, I don't think it is limited to HP as far as support goes. It seems to be the general pattern, although some seem to have had better experiences than others, for whatever reason. I wish you well in getting that mess resolved.

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users