PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Unable To Print Some Webpages - PCWorld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unable To Print Some Webpages Firefox 3.6 is unable to print some pages

#1 User is offline   bcshort 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 25-February 10

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Recently I updated to Firefox 3.6. I am using Windows 7 on a newly installed hard drive. This was a clean install. Upon doing the version update of Firefox I found I was unable to print some web pages. I can't see anything different about these pages from the ones that do print. The print job hangs in the cue, no error message is received. I "chatted" with a Firefox techie and he had me download a new font and thought that would fix it. It didn't. I have also changed the default font in Firefox and unchecked the "Allow pages to select font's" box (Tools, options, advanced).

Any thoughts on how to correct this? It was not a problem in the previous version of Firefox.

To clear the cue I wrote a little command file that looks like this:
net stop spooler
echo y| del c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\*.*
net start spooler

I named it "clearspooler.cmd". I have to run it as administrator but it clears the cue.
Also....if you disable the bidirectional communication with the printer you can cancel the print job without running this little file.
0

#2 User is offline   smax013 

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 13,139
  • Joined: 28-January 07

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:00 PM

View Postbcshort, on 25 February 2010 - 01:37 PM, said:

Recently I updated to Firefox 3.6. I am using Windows 7 on a newly installed hard drive. This was a clean install. Upon doing the version update of Firefox I found I was unable to print some web pages. I can't see anything different about these pages from the ones that do print. The print job hangs in the cue, no error message is received. I "chatted" with a Firefox techie and he had me download a new font and thought that would fix it. It didn't. I have also changed the default font in Firefox and unchecked the "Allow pages to select font's" box (Tools, options, advanced).

Any thoughts on how to correct this? It was not a problem in the previous version of Firefox.

To clear the cue I wrote a little command file that looks like this:
net stop spooler
echo y| del c:\windows\system32\spool\printers\*.*
net start spooler

I named it "clearspooler.cmd". I have to run it as administrator but it clears the cue.
Also....if you disable the bidirectional communication with the printer you can cancel the print job without running this little file.


Have you tried printing those webpages with Internet Explorer? I am not suggesting this as a permanent solution, but more as a "test" to see if it is something about those webpages (which I doubt...but it would be good to rule that out).
Good riddance PCWorld.
0

#3 User is offline   Car54 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,333
  • Joined: 16-November 06
  • Location:Witness Protection Program

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

bcshort, it really sounds like you know what your doing..but I've never really had any luck in consistently being able to print with FF, that a page either would not print, or be an offset print, and at times I have to use the View In IE Tab option to load it in IE, to have it print correctly from there. We may have to wait for some tweaking by the Mozilla designers to figure out some of the issues with their public release version of 3.6, until then, that might be a quicker option. (then when I used to copy and paste a web page from FF into IE to print it)

http://i240.photobuc...rintFirefox.png

This post has been edited by Car54: 25 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

0

#4 User is offline   bcshort 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 25-February 10

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

View PostCar54, on 25 February 2010 - 06:54 PM, said:

bcshort, it really sounds like you know what your doing..but I've never really had any luck in consistently being able to print with FF, that a page either would not print, or be an offset print, and at times I have to use the View In IE Tab option to load it in IE, to have it print correctly from there. We may have to wait for some tweaking by the Mozilla designers to figure out some of the issues with their public release version of 3.6, until then, that might be a quicker option. (then when I used to copy and paste a web page from FF into IE to print it)

http://i240.photobuc...rintFirefox.png

Thanks for the replies. The pages that I have been unable to print, print fine in IE 8. I haven't tried the "View in IE tab". It maintains peace in my house if I can keep things simple for my wife - she's the one that "discovered" this problem. I will give it a try. Thanks.
0

#5 User is offline   bcshort 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 25-February 10

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

I got the View in IE tab add on. It worked great for me. My wife is happy (that's important).
This workaround seems a little clunky, I'd prefer a real fix from Firefox, but I'll take it.
Thank you for your help.
0

#6 User is offline   Car54 

  • Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,333
  • Joined: 16-November 06
  • Location:Witness Protection Program

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:38 AM

View Postbcshort, on 26 February 2010 - 06:40 PM, said:

I got the View in IE tab add on. It worked great for me. My wife is happy (that's important).
This workaround seems a little clunky, I'd prefer a real fix from Firefox, but I'll take it.
Thank you for your help.


I'm glad it helped, both you and your happy wife :) I too would pefer a better solution, but for now at least we have a work around.

Thanks for getting back to us bcshort, and letting us know what you came up with. :)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users