PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Windows 7 And Dell Pc - Not Rebooting. Hangs On Bios Screen. - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 7 And Dell Pc - Not Rebooting. Hangs On Bios Screen.

#1 User is offline   tjucht 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

When my Dell PC with Windows 7 attempts to reboot, it hangs on the BIOS splash screen. Nothing happens - it appears as if Windows startup is not called at all. The only way I have found to resolve this is to unplug the power cord and wait a couple days. Think the internal battery then discharges and it will then boot up and it appears as if nothing wrong happened. This happened initially around Dec of 2009 and I did read about some Windows update that may have caused this. Up to now I have heard from both Microsoft and Dell that it isn't their issue and a finger pointing to the other as the cause.
Anyone have this issue and any resolution to it? Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   jeffwindowsteam 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

View Posttjucht, on 03 March 2010 - 10:46 AM, said:

When my Dell PC with Windows 7 attempts to reboot, it hangs on the BIOS splash screen. Nothing happens - it appears as if Windows startup is not called at all. The only way I have found to resolve this is to unplug the power cord and wait a couple days. Think the internal battery then discharges and it will then boot up and it appears as if nothing wrong happened. This happened initially around Dec of 2009 and I did read about some Windows update that may have caused this. Up to now I have heard from both Microsoft and Dell that it isn't their issue and a finger pointing to the other as the cause.

If it is an update causing this do you know which one it is (or can you dig up the article) then go back to a restore point prior to when this problem started occurring?

#3 User is offline   tjucht 

• Pip

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:45 PM

View Postjeffwindowsteam, on 03 March 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

If it is an update causing this do you know which one it is (or can you dig up the article) then go back to a restore point prior to when this problem started occurring?

The PC doesn't boot up nor does it allow a boot sequence change. I have the recovery disk in but the BIOS doesn't even get to that point. It has been occuring since late November but as long as I disconnect from main power supply for a few days it will boot up cleanly. I would not be able to go back to a restore point that far back anymore.

#4 User is offline   rgreen4 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

View Posttjucht, on 03 March 2010 - 11:45 PM, said:

View Postjeffwindowsteam, on 03 March 2010 - 01:52 PM, said:

The PC doesn't boot up nor does it allow a boot sequence change. I have the recovery disk in but the BIOS doesn't even get to that point. It has been occuring since late November but as long as I disconnect from main power supply for a few days it will boot up cleanly. I would not be able to go back to a restore point that far back anymore.

It is entirely possible that the best way to fix this is with a reinstall of Windows.
Siggy Courtesy of Solar Wings
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users