PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Can't Stay Signed In With Password Saved In Hotmail - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't Stay Signed In With Password Saved In Hotmail I lost this ability last week

#1 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:51 AM

. Hi all, I have always signed into hotmail saving my windows live ID and password so I don't have to type it all in each time I come up from standby mode. Recently, I've had to sign in everything to get in. Today I got the yellow/ orange message above my toolbar on top asking me to sign in again because windows does this occassionally when one is online for long periods, etc.. Before I could get by without having to sign in again just by going back to my inbox and the message would dissappear. But today I just kept getting the message and couldn't rid of it until I did sign in again. I've also noticed that sometimes the sign in page has the https and other times it's the http only. I did post a question to the windows help site and seems I always have problems after doing so. I just don't know what's safe anymore. Do you have any ideas why this may be happening or any troubleshooting ideas? It's madening.
I have windows XP using I.E. 8.0 and do most everything in hotmail. "Please sign in again. To help protect your personal information, we periodically sign you out (for example, after 24 hours or when you sign in to a different account). Sign in again" When going back to my hotmail inbox after posting this, I was asked again to sign in. I copied and pasted the message so it may help you better to understand.

This post has been edited by Janisum: 18 March 2010 - 11:01 AM

Janisum

#2 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Hi. I typically use MSN mail. Ocassionally, it will send the stuff to a HotMail Box ( I don't even remember signing up for HotMail, although it may be part of the service I have). I was getting unsolicited stuff from a HotMail address, from supposedly females wanting me to add them to my contact list ( never did, just reported it as SPAM and to block it). Those requests usually showed up on my desktop in a window at start up in the morning. When I contacted Microsoft regarding this, I was told that there was a security problem and the peoples IM accounts were being hacked and they were getting email addresses. It is probably not a good idea to stay logged in like that. I have also tightened up my security a bit more and changed my password. I am not entirely sure that is a legitimate message. You may want to download www.malwarebytes.org ( FREE version ) update it and run it and see what comes up.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#3 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:35 PM

Thanks and sorry to hear you had issues too. I also get alot of those emails asking me to become a partner, friend or more and alot of spam. Nigerian bank scams and much more. I do have the free version of malaware and did do a run today but it found nothing. I just don't feel safe on the computer. Too many hackers. With all the technology we have today, one would think spam would be a thing of the past. Thanks again. Janisum
Janisum

#4 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

View PostJanisum, on 18 March 2010 - 06:35 PM, said:

Thanks and sorry to hear you had issues too. I also get alot of those emails asking me to become a partner, friend or more and alot of spam. Nigerian bank scams and much more. I do have the free version of malaware and did do a run today but it found nothing. I just don't feel safe on the computer. Too many hackers. With all the technology we have today, one would think spam would be a thing of the past. Thanks again. Janisum

More of a nuisance, but I guess with some it would get them a tad paranoid. Those PHising things from the poor Nigerian Widow and others ( even had a couple of supposedly Army Sergeants that need to move some valuables out of Iraq). I don't, as a rule, open those things. One other scan you might want to try is www.SUPERantispyware.com ( FREE Version). My cousin uses HotMail, but don't know if she has gotten any of that. May have to check with her.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

View PostJanisum, on 18 March 2010 - 10:51 AM, said:

. Hi all, I have always signed into hotmail saving my windows live ID and password so I don't have to type it all in each time I come up from standby mode. Recently, I've had to sign in everything to get in. Today I got the yellow/ orange message above my toolbar on top asking me to sign in again because windows does this occassionally when one is online for long periods, etc.. Before I could get by without having to sign in again just by going back to my inbox and the message would dissappear. But today I just kept getting the message and couldn't rid of it until I did sign in again. I've also noticed that sometimes the sign in page has the https and other times it's the http only. I did post a question to the windows help site and seems I always have problems after doing so. I just don't know what's safe anymore. Do you have any ideas why this may be happening or any troubleshooting ideas? It's madening.
I have windows XP using I.E. 8.0 and do most everything in hotmail. "Please sign in again. To help protect your personal information, we periodically sign you out (for example, after 24 hours or when you sign in to a different account). Sign in again" When going back to my hotmail inbox after posting this, I was asked again to sign in. I copied and pasted the message so it may help you better to understand.

Are you running any sort of a utility that might be automatically cleaning out cookies? Many sites use cookies to keep track of whether or not you want to remain signed it. For example, if you wipe all the PCWorld cookies, you will not remain signed in and have to re-sign in...if I recall correctly.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   Janisum 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:22 AM

I never do open anything unless I know who it is from. I can just tell by the subject line that it's a phishing or spam mail and it immediately is trashed. Can you give me an idea of how I can check to see if I am storing all cookies? I usually clean them out everyday but then I see them still stored when I clean the next time.
I'm going to a laptop with all new hardware here soon. Am hoping to keep it clean and free of all spam or at least as much as I can. This computer was given to me and another person installed the programs. Not a good idea!! I want to thank all of you for giving me tid bits. It's great to know others care.. Janisum
Janisum

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

View PostJanisum, on 19 March 2010 - 08:22 AM, said:

I never do open anything unless I know who it is from. I can just tell by the subject line that it's a phishing or spam mail and it immediately is trashed. Can you give me an idea of how I can check to see if I am storing all cookies? I usually clean them out everyday but then I see them still stored when I clean the next time.
I'm going to a laptop with all new hardware here soon. Am hoping to keep it clean and free of all spam or at least as much as I can. This computer was given to me and another person installed the programs. Not a good idea!! I want to thank all of you for giving me tid bits. It's great to know others care.. Janisum

Cookies are not really related to email messages at all.

Cookies are little files that websites will save to your computer when you visit that site or do specific things on that site. Many "online store" sites might keep track of what is in your "cart" by use of cookies. Sites will also use cookies to remember certain preferences that you might select for that site.

They can be used for both good and bad things.

Cookies are stored by your browser.

This page will tell you how to control cookies with your browser: http://www.aboutcook...ult.aspx?page=1

You might also find this useful: http://www.aboutcook...ult.aspx?page=5

Now, beyond that, there are programs that can be used to manage cookies. If you are running something like Norton Internet Security or some other overall Internet security type program, then you might have something that is deleting cookies automatically. And if Hotmail uses cookies to keep track of whether you are logged in already, then this could be the problem.

Now, I do not know if Hotmail uses cookies for this purpose or not.
Good riddance PCWorld.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users