PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Windows Was Unable To Find A Certificate To Log You To The Network - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows Was Unable To Find A Certificate To Log You To The Network

#1 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

I get that every time I try to log on to my network. I recently received the laptop and I've been having this problem for the past 2 days. This is the only one that has this problems; the others have been able to connect without any issues. I've unchecked the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network box, but I still get the same problem. I've also tried hitting the repair button but once I get to "renewing IP address" I never get any further. Any suggestions?

Searching around I was told that updating to Service Pack 3 would solve the problem. Would that solve it? Yesterday it did pop up that I could update to SP3, and I was going to, but it ended up cancelling because I forgot to plug in the AC Adapter and I haven't been able to get that to come up again since. Is there any way I could get that to come up again or update it (because it won't connect I can't get the internet so I won't get anywhere by clicking Windows Update)?

#2 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

View PostAbbaWolf, on 21 March 2010 - 05:02 PM, said:

I get that every time I try to log on to my network. I recently received the laptop and I've been having this problem for the past 2 days. This is the only one that has this problems; the others have been able to connect without any issues. I've unchecked the Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network box, but I still get the same problem. I've also tried hitting the repair button but once I get to "renewing IP address" I never get any further. Any suggestions?

Searching around I was told that updating to Service Pack 3 for Windows XP would solve the problem. Would that solve it? Yesterday it did pop up that I could update to SP3, and I was going to, but it ended up cancelling because I forgot to plug in the AC Adapter and I haven't been able to get that to come up again since. Is there any way I could get that to come up again or update it (because it won't connect I can't get the internet so I won't get anywhere by clicking Windows Update)?

Sorry I forgot a few things. The laptop is a Presario V2000 and the router is Linksys Wireless-G. The Network Authentication is set at WPA-PSK.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:34 AM

If you cannot get Windows Update to offer SP3 up again, then you can "manually" download it here:

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

You could download it to another computer and then transfer it over to the computer in question if you cannot get a network connection.

Your other option would be to order an SP3 disc. You can do that here: https://om2.one.micr...avaScriptOn=yes

(Note: the above link for ordering assumes you are in North American...if not, you can find links for other areas here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389...just go to the section titled "Order Windows XP Service Pack 3 on CD")

The thing you could try first, however, is to temporarily connect the laptop to your router with an ethernet cable and see if it will connect. If so, then you should be able to get SP3 through Windows Update.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#4 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

I tried to connect with the ethernet cable, unfortunately it says I have limited or no connectivity so I ended transfering the download over to the laptop. It successfully updated to SP3 and I no longer get the pop-up about it not being able to find the certificate to log on to the network, however, I'm still not able to connect to my router. It will say "Acquiring Network Address" but then it ends up not connecting. I did connect to the Free Public WiFi, no internet though, but I'm assuming that's because the connection is low.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:32 AM

View PostAbbaWolf, on 22 March 2010 - 07:47 PM, said:

I tried to connect with the ethernet cable, unfortunately it says I have limited or no connectivity so I ended transfering the download over to the laptop. It successfully updated to SP3 and I no longer get the pop-up about it not being able to find the certificate to log on to the network, however, I'm still not able to connect to my router. It will say "Acquiring Network Address" but then it ends up not connecting. I did connect to the Free Public WiFi, no internet though, but I'm assuming that's because the connection is low.

Did this laptop ever work properly with an Internet connection? Or have you been having this problem from the moment you received the computer?

What security programs (anti-virus/malware/spyware, software firewall, etc) are you running?

Have you tried "repairing" your network connection? Here are instructions for Windows XP: http://www.microsoft...ain/repair.mspx

You might also look through this document: http://www.microsoft...bleshoot.mspx#3
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

I've been having this problem since I received it. It's odd because I was able to connect to the router fine with others.

Avast! and Ad-Aware as far as I know.

I tried to repair the Local Area Connection but it couldn't finish because the action of Renewing my IP address was never completed. I also clicked repair for the Wireless Network Connection but that never got any farther than "Renewing IP address".

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

View PostAbbaWolf, on 23 March 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

I've been having this problem since I received it. It's odd because I was able to connect to the router fine with others.

I tried to repair the Local Area Connection but it couldn't finish because the action of Renewing my IP address was never completed. I also clicked repair for the Wireless Network Connection but that never got any farther than "Renewing IP address".

Was the computer "new" when you got it? Or was it "used"?

If the latter, did the previous user/owner do a "clean" install/restore of the OS?
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

View Postsmax013, on 23 March 2010 - 02:07 PM, said:

View PostAbbaWolf, on 23 March 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

Was the computer "new" when you got it? Or was it "used"?

If the latter, did the previous user/owner do a "clean" install/restore of the OS?

It's used. I'm not sure; there's nothing here with the exception of a few programs. How can I tell?

#9 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

View PostAbbaWolf, on 23 March 2010 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's used. I'm not sure; there's nothing here with the exception of a few programs. How can I tell?

What programs?

Other than asking the person you got the computer from, you likely will not be able to tell for sure. It is possible that depending on what those programs are, we might have a reasonably good idea.

Did you get Windows install disc(s), recovery disc(s), or a recovery partition with the computer? If so, do you have anything on the computer that you would not want to lose? If the former is yes and the latter is no, then you may want to consider doing a "reinstall" of Windows and see if that helps. If the previous owner did not do a "reinstall", then there could be something there "mucking" things up.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#10 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:22 PM

View Postsmax013, on 24 March 2010 - 08:03 AM, said:

What programs?

Other than asking the person you got the computer from, you likely will not be able to tell for sure. It is possible that depending on what those programs are, we might have a reasonably good idea.

Did you get Windows install disc(s), recovery disc(s), or a recovery partition with the computer? If so, do you have anything on the computer that you would not want to lose? If the former is yes and the latter is no, then you may want to consider doing a "reinstall" of Windows and see if that helps. If the previous owner did not do a "reinstall", then there could be something there "mucking" things up.

Sorry for replying so late. I ended up giving laptop back to the previous owner to see if they could fix the problem. They said they encountered no problem connecting to their router, but I'm still having that problem as usual.

Do you want me to list everything from Add or Remove Programs?

I didn't; the only things I received were the laptop and the AC adaptor (I think that's the name).

#11 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

View PostAbbaWolf, on 31 March 2010 - 08:22 PM, said:

What programs?

Sorry for replying so late. I ended up giving laptop back to the previous owner to see if they could fix the problem. They said they encountered no problem connecting to their router, but I'm still having that problem as usual.

I didn't; the only things I received were the laptop and the AC adaptor (I think that's the name).

You might try listing everything in Add or Remove Programs...not sure if it will help much, but it is worth a try...
Good riddance PCWorld.

#12 User is offline   AbbaWolf 

• PipPip

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

View Postsmax013, on 31 March 2010 - 08:27 PM, said:

View PostAbbaWolf, on 31 March 2010 - 08:22 PM, said:

What programs?

You might try listing everything in Add or Remove Programs...not sure if it will help much, but it is worth a try...

Ad-Aware
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Reader 9.3
avast! Free Antivirus
CleanUp!
Conexant AC-Link Audio
Google Chrome
HP Product Detection
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
InterVideo WinDVD 4
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NEI Framework Client Profile
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
Microsoft Picture It! Photo 7.0
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistrbutable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
MSN
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
Paint.NET v3.5.2
Picasa 3
Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Sonic DLA
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows XP Service Pack 3
WinZip

That would be all of it.

#13 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

View PostAbbaWolf, on 31 March 2010 - 08:44 PM, said:

Ad-Aware
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Reader 9.3
avast! Free Antivirus
CleanUp!
Conexant AC-Link Audio
Google Chrome
HP Product Detection
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
InterVideo WinDVD 4
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NEI Framework Client Profile
Microsoft Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
Microsoft Picture It! Photo 7.0
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistrbutable - x86 9.0.30729.4148
MSN
MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)
Paint.NET v3.5.2
Picasa 3
Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Sonic DLA
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Media Format 11 runtime
Windows Media Player 11
Windows XP Service Pack 3
WinZip

That would be all of it.

I do not see anything that would seem to potentially cause any problems such as you are experiencing.

I am kind of stumped. I would suggest trying to change the WiFi encryption on your router (temporarily), but since you seem to have the same issue with a wired connection and with a Public WiFi (which I assume has no encryption), that likely will not do anything.

I supposed you could try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if it works at all with that. You should at least be able to try that with an ethernet cable. I do not know if that will also allow you to try to use WiFi or not.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#14 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Have you checked to see whether the network interface card (NIC) is set to a static IP address instead of a dynamic one? The friend may have setup a static IP address so it works for his network design. Just so you know, a static address is one that doesn't change and is set manually. A dynamic one is a typically a random address within the range that is available by the router.

Open up the Network Connections window, right-click the LAN NIC and click Properties. Scroll through the list of connection items and click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties. In the three available areas under the General and Advanced tab, choose to gather the settings Automatically. Perform these same steps for the wireless NIC.

When you choose the Repair option on a connection, the adapter is asking the router whether it can have a connection based on the settings it holds. If not, then you'll have limited or no connectivity. I don't know what the "Unable to find a certificate" message means just yet, but report back after setting the NICs to have dynamic IP addresses.
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users