PCWorld Forums

PCWorld Forums: Faq: Pcworld Find Numbers - PCWorld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Faq: Pcworld Find Numbers How do I use those "find" numbers that I see in the magazine?

#1 User is offline   smax013 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

If you are having trouble figuring out how to use those PCWorld "find" numbers, then this should help you:

http://wiki.pcworld....PCWorld_Numbers
Good riddance PCWorld.

#2 User is offline   PhilipJohn52 

• Pip

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Blah, blah....the answer to this member's question is so much blah.

After 5 years as a subscriber, I finally found a highly-touted download that I wanted to get, so I entered the "find" URL - as the answer indicates you should - only to get a several minute view of the famous Gates Hourglass, then the "site not found" message. Trying a number of other find numbers, I got the same result. Moving to a different computer made no difference. Logging into PCWorld.com didn't help, either, as the page I was transferred to when I entered the name of the topic/app that I was looking for did not have the free, downloadable app that was described in the magazine - and, much to my dismay, it tried to transfer me to an advertising page from one of PCWorld's advertisers. If I wanted to be hijacked to somewhere else, I would have disabled Norton and let the games begin!

Why not have a simple fill-in-the-blank link box on the main PCWorld site to let users insert the find number and easily navigate to the download site? Oh, wait, they used to have that capability, but some genius somewhere in the organization thought it wasn't needed. How arrogant, and how typical of letting success go to your head and thinking you know best on all subjects.

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

Ok. We'll try this again. If you are looking for say find #70204 ( this is just anexample ). In your Browser's address box type in www.find.pcworld.com/70204 that should get you there. Incidently, my example will take you a Corel Paint app that was in the last issue.

This post has been edited by coastie65: 26 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 26 July 2010 - 08:01 AM, said:

Ok. We'll try this again. If you are looking for say find #70204 ( this is just anexample ). In your Browser's address box type in www.find.pcworld.com/70204 that should get you there. Incidently, my example will take you a Corel Paint app that was in the last issue.

Just to note...the "www." is not needed. Just find.pcworld.com/70204 will work.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:18 PM

View PostPhilipJohn52, on 21 July 2010 - 07:47 AM, said:

Blah, blah....the answer to this member's question is so much blah.

After 5 years as a subscriber, I finally found a highly-touted download that I wanted to get, so I entered the "find" URL - as the answer indicates you should - only to get a several minute view of the famous Gates Hourglass, then the "site not found" message. Trying a number of other find numbers, I got the same result. Moving to a different computer made no difference. Logging into PCWorld.com didn't help, either, as the page I was transferred to when I entered the name of the topic/app that I was looking for did not have the free, downloadable app that was described in the magazine - and, much to my dismay, it tried to transfer me to an advertising page from one of PCWorld's advertisers. If I wanted to be hijacked to somewhere else, I would have disabled Norton and let the games begin!

Why not have a simple fill-in-the-blank link box on the main PCWorld site to let users insert the find number and easily navigate to the download site? Oh, wait, they used to have that capability, but some genius somewhere in the organization thought it wasn't needed. How arrogant, and how typical of letting success go to your head and thinking you know best on all subjects.

What are some of the examples of the "find numbers" that you are trying?

I ask because the "find numbers" are just "web shortener" URLs. Some will point to PCWorld webpages, but some will point to third party websites. There is no guarantee that the webpage that the "find number" points to still exists. If it points to a PCWorld webpage, then it likely will still exist. But, if it points to a third party webpage, then if that company/third party website has changed the "location" of the webpage or deleted the webpage, then you will get a "site not found" message.

If you provide the "find number" that you are trying as well as the name of the download that you are trying to get, then we might be able to help further.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#6 User is offline   demossr 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

I tried find.pcworld.com/72975 for the DNS Changer checkup and it takes me to "jwsx3's Content" in the PC World community with a message that says "there is no information to show". Huh?

#7 User is offline   smax013 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

View Postdemossr, on 09 June 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

I tried find.pcworld.com/72975 for the DNS Changer checkup and it takes me to "jwsx3's Content" in the PC World community with a message that says "there is no information to show". Huh?

Works fine for me.
Good riddance PCWorld.

#8 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Strange - it also works for me. This is the URL it redirects to btw: http://www.dns-ok.us/
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

#9 User is offline   KiwiBird97 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:08 PM

demossr said:

1339257568[/url]' post='621750']

Try using go.pcworld.com/72975. find.pcworld.com does not work anymore.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users