• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do I Get Ie 8 Off My Computer?

#1 User is offline   Jessica108 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

How do I get IE 8 off my computer??

I downloaded IE 8 and I hate it. It sucks, whenever I go to google and do a search, if I click on a link in the search results, it takes me to some other search engine page. I also can't ever get on Walmart.com, no matter what I do, if I click on a link somewhere or if I actually manually enter www.walmart.com, it opens a box on my screen about saving or opening a file. I tried to do a system restore, but that didn't work either, because I couldn't open internet explorer at all when I did that. I just want this stupid program off my computer, I want to go back to IE 7.

Could anyone help me?

This post has been edited by Jessica108: 23 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

#2 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:12 AM

View PostJessica108, on 23 March 2010 - 11:42 PM, said:

I downloaded IE 8 and I hate it. It sucks, whenever I go to google and do a search, if I click on a link in the search results, it takes me to some other search engine page. I also can't ever get on Walmart.com, no matter what I do, if I click on a link somewhere or if I actually manually enter www.walmart.com, it opens a box on my screen about saving or opening a file. I tried to do a system restore, but that didn't work either, because I couldn't open internet explorer at all when I did that. I just want this stupid program off my computer, I want to go back to IE 7.

Could anyone help me?

Hey Jessica !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

OK, I don't know why you are having issues with IE8 because so far, it's the best one out there.But, if you would like to remove this version and revert
back to IE7 then, this is how to do it in XP and Vista as you didn't specify which one you are working on. You know you will make me work twice as hard
LOL!

On XP, this is what you will have to do. Go to > Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove. Click on it and let it populate with all programs installed. Now, scroll
down to IE8 and click on it as you would when uninstalling any other program. You will be asked to validate your query. Just click on the YES button:
OK, my XP is in French but, you should be able to get the general idea.

Posted Image

Vista is a little different. A few more clicks are required to achieve the same.
Go to > Start > Control Panel > Windows Update. Click on that entry.
Now, from the update screen, look at the Bottom Left where you will see :

"Installed Updates"

Posted Image

Click on that link. The next screen to appear will have all your "Installed Updates".
Installed updates are the updates to the OS' programs.

Let it populate ( a few seconds) and then, scroll down until you see this :

Posted Image

Now, click on the Blue link of Windows Internet Explorer 8 to uninstall. Follow the prompts
to finish the task.

IF you have Vista then, it came with IE7 and will revert to that version on it's own.
IF you have XP then,you will have to re-download IE7 and install as you would any other program:

For XP 32bit : IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe
http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

For XP Pro 64bit :

Should you have more questions or don't understand a step to take, Stop and Ask.
We will be happy to oblige.

FLASHORN.
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#3 User is offline   coastie65 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Could anyone help me?

Hi Jessica, If you are being redirected I would suggest you first run www.malwarebytes.org It is FREE and will get rid what I suspect is a bug that has gotten in.
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#4 User is offline   Jessica108 

• PipPip

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:55 PM

View PostFlashorn, on 24 March 2010 - 03:12 AM, said:

Could anyone help me?

Hey Jessica !!

Welcome to PCWorld Community !

OK, I don't know why you are having issues with IE8 because so far, it's the best one out there.But, if you would like to remove this version and revert
back to IE7 then, this is how to do it in XP and Vista as you didn't specify which one you are working on. You know you will make me work twice as hard
LOL!

On XP, this is what you will have to do. Go to > Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove. Click on it and let it populate with all programs installed. Now, scroll
down to IE8 and click on it as you would when uninstalling any other program. You will be asked to validate your query. Just click on the YES button:
OK, my XP is in French but, you should be able to get the general idea.

Posted Image

Vista is a little different. A few more clicks are required to achieve the same.
Go to > Start > Control Panel > Windows Update. Click on that entry.
Now, from the update screen, look at the Bottom Left where you will see :

"Installed Updates"

Posted Image

Click on that link. The next screen to appear will have all your "Installed Updates".
Installed updates are the updates to the OS' programs.

Let it populate ( a few seconds) and then, scroll down until you see this :

Posted Image

Now, click on the Blue link of Windows Internet Explorer 8 to uninstall. Follow the prompts
to finish the task.

IF you have Vista then, it came with IE7 and will revert to that version on it's own.
IF you have XP then,you will have to re-download IE7 and install as you would any other program:

For XP 32bit : IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe

For XP Pro 64bit :

Should you have more questions or don't understand a step to take, Stop and Ask.
We will be happy to oblige.

FLASHORN.

Hi, really thanks for your help. My system is Windows XP,and now I am able to get IE 7 back.
Thanks again.. ;)

#5 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:16 AM

Hey Jessica !!

You are welcome. If any other questions or problems, just ask.

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Eurocom Scorpius: 3840QM-2.8 GHz-Ivy Bridge ; ATI 7970M Crossfire ; Intel SSD 520 series 480GB ; Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB,7200RPM ; 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 9 9 9 24 ; Sound Blaster X-Fi MB2 ; THX True Studio Pro.

Patience is Life.

#6 User is offline   Flashorn 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:20 AM

Hey coastie !!

Hi Jessica, If you are being redirected I would suggest you first run www.malwarebytes.org It is FREE and will get rid what I suspect is a bug that has gotten in.

The re-direction she is talking about would be that of "Bing". Unless you choose a different search engine Or home page, it will always bring you back to Bing. (in IE8)

FLASHORN.

Posted Image

Patience is Life.

#7 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:14 AM

Oh. I use Bing. With MSN Premium, it uses a Hybrid Browser ( MSN Explorer ) rather than IE as well. Every once in awhile, I have to go and remove Google or Yahoo, because I wasn't paying attention on a download and ended up installing one or the other in the process. Posted Image
Coolermaster HAF 912 Case....ASUS Z87Pro MOBO.....Intel Core i7 4770k Haswell ( OC'd to 4.6 Ghz ) .... Gelid Tranquillo cooler.... Samsung 830 256 GB SSD.... Primary HDD- WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA III /6.0 .... SECONDARY HDD - WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA II / 3.0....16Gb GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Memory....Corsair AX850w PSU....EVGA GTX 680 Super Clocked Signature 2 Gb GDDR5 Video Card....Samsung CD/DVD RW, DL, DVD-Ram, w/ Lightscribe Optical Drive....Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX 22" Monitor..... Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OS

Gateway FX6800-01e----Intel Core i7 960 ( 3.2 GHz)---- Seagate Barracuda 750 Gb SATA II / 3.0 Hdd---- 6 Gb Crucial 1066 Mhz memory, running in Tri Channel conf-----Corsair TX650w PSU----- EVGA Nvidia GTX 560Ti 1gb GDDR5 Vram ----DVD +/- RW / CD ,RAM/DL Optical drive w/ Label Flash-----Gateway TBGM-01 Motherboard.... Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS w/ SP2; Samsung Synch Master 2243BWX 22" Monitor.

#8 User is offline   JohnBrady 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:34 AM

Go with firefox that what I do
Source(s):
Use Linux The security is the best I will say that.

#9 User is offline   annysmith001 

• Pip
  • Group: New Member

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:31 PM

Well I m using IE 8 and its working fine in my pc.So far I don't have complaints using it.I m also looking to upgrade to its next update IE9.

#10 User is offline   crazy4laptops 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

whenever I go to google and do a search, if I click on a link in the search results, it takes me to some other search engine page. I also can't ever get on Walmart.com, no matter what I do, if I click on a link somewhere or if I actually manually enter www.walmart.com, it opens a box on my screen about saving or opening a file.

That actually may be a virus that didn't work with IE7, once IE8 was installed it unleashed it's annoying side...

A Malwarebytes scan is recommended and it won't hurt to do so

Or your proxy settings are screwed up... try resetting IE- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Even the experts started out as beginners

#11 User is offline   coastie65 

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

View Postannysmith001, on 30 June 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

Well I m using IE 8 and its working fine in my pc.So far I don't have complaints using it.I m also looking to upgrade to its next update IE9.

Hi, If you are running XP, then you can't upgrade to IE9 as far as I know. IE9 was released for Vista and Windows 7 only. I'm still running IE8 in my XP machine. I just found out that IE9, doesn't do so hot on these forums. I had to use it as the servers for MSN were down. and IE was the only way onto the internet ( guess I could've used Verizon ).

#12 User is offline   LiveBrianD 

• Elite

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

View Postcoastie65, on 01 July 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

View Postannysmith001, on 30 June 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

Hi, If you are running XP, then you can't upgrade to IE9 as far as I know. IE9 was released for Vista and Windows 7 only. I'm still running IE8 in my XP machine. I just found out that IE9, doesn't do so hot on these forums. I had to use it as the servers for MSN were down. and IE was the only way onto the internet ( guess I could've used Verizon ).

Why do you use MSN for internet? Why not something like Chrome or FF? IE9 isn't bad either though, it's my second choice (FF is too slow now - it USED to be on fire, but now with Chrome, it has been put out).
Spoiler
"The Internet will be used for all kinds of spurious things, including fake quotes from smart people." -Albert Einstein
Need a Windows ISO image?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users