Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All Web Browsers Crashing, Please Help

#1 User is offline   psycolizard 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:19 AM

I dont know what to do anymore and its getting more and more annoying. I originally was using Chrome, then it started crashing randomly. So I went to firefox, started doing the same, went back to the old standby IE, it did it too. Tried Opera even and the same thing. They all crash completely randomly. No websites in common, no videos doing it, nothing, it doesn't matter whats on the page it crashes anyways. Sometimes it crashes the second I open the browser, other times it wont crash for an hour or more. Does anyone know what I can do?

#2 User is offline   JimH443 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:37 AM

View Postpsycolizard, on 26 March 2010 - 12:19 AM, said:

I dont know what to do anymore and its getting more and more annoying. I originally was using Chrome, then it started crashing randomly. So I went to firefox, started doing the same, went back to the old standby IE, it did it too. Tried Opera even and the same thing. They all crash completely randomly. No websites in common, no videos doing it, nothing, it doesn't matter whats on the page it crashes anyways. Sometimes it crashes the second I open the browser, other times it wont crash for an hour or more. Does anyone know what I can do?

Tell us a little bit about your computer. How old is it, what operating system you're using (and whether it's 32 or 64 bit), how much RAM is installed... that kind of thing. Also, does it give any kind of error message when the browser crashes? How many other programs are you running at the same time? Include in this number how many icons you see in the System Tray (near the clock)

#3 User is offline   JackWalters 

• Pip

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

You should run anti-virus scan. There are a lot of freeware anti-virus software but I recommend Avast it has one advantage - boot time scanning.
Also check the registry.

#4 User is offline   brynie8team 

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

Are you running Internet Explorer 8?

If so and you find your IE is crashing frequently, here are some trouble-shooting steps you may try:

1. Run your anti-virus and an anti-spyware, to check for malware infections. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good freeware AV from Microsoft.
2. Clear Cache. Or else run your Junk Cleaner or CCleaner. In IE 7 or 8, click Tools > Internet options > Security > Reset all Zones to Default level
3. If still you find your IE giving problems, close it and run IE (No Add-ons). This opens up the browser without loading any add-ons, toolbars or plug-ins.
4. Run sfc /scannow and at the end reboot if asked for. This will replace corrupted system files if any.
If you find it running OK, then the problem is most probably caused by an addon. In that case you have two options :
- Use the manage Add-ons tool, and disable each one after the other to find out which one is causing the problem.
- In Internet Options, go to Advanced Tab and click on Reset tab. Restart IE. This step deletes all temp files, disables any add-ons, plug-ins, toolbars and also resets all changed settings to default. Although this is a quick-fix, you will have to re-install the add-ons.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Bryn
IE8 Outreach Team

#5 User is offline   psycolizard 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:02 AM

Sorry I didn't check this sooner, I wasn't around. This is the system I am running.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Vista 64
2x GeForce 8600GTS
McAfee Internet Security Suite
Spybot S&D (including the active scanner TeaTimer)

I don't typically use IE as it has always been slower than some other options, but tried it when my browser first started to crash. Its hard to gauge whether or not it crashes less than the other ones since its a completely random crash. As I said though I've tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, and even Opera, all with the same results. The crashes have no error message they just simply state "'Browser Name Here' has crashed, would you like to restart?". Scans always turn up negative and no other symptoms of malware have ever presented themselves. I have tried disabling all plugins etc. with no results. Computer is just over a year old and I built it myself. It did not do this from the beginning but has been doing it a couple months now. Vista has alot of processes running at all times and Ive looked through them, nothing out of the ordinary from what I see.

#6 User is offline   JimH443 

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:32 AM

Nothing about the system jumps out at me as a problem. There was a driver update for the NVidia cards a month ago that did cause a problem for some programs (World of Warcraft being one of them), but I haven't heard that it's causing browser trouble.

Can you use the System Restore option to roll back to before there were problems?

#7 User is offline   psycolizard 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

View PostJimH443, on 02 April 2010 - 04:32 AM, said:

Nothing about the system jumps out at me as a problem. There was a driver update for the NVidia cards a month ago that did cause a problem for some programs (World of Warcraft being one of them), but I haven't heard that it's causing browser trouble.

Can you use the System Restore option to roll back to before there were problems?

To roll back so far (to a date I'm not even sure of) would cause me to lose more than is really worth it. Its done it less lately, or at least seems to be doing it less. Its been going on for a couple months, so that driver update is out, however it could have been do to AN update. I updated nVidias drivers either yesterday or the day before and don't believe I've had a crash since. Not thinking that it was the problem but if I continue to be crash free I certainly wont complain. I wonder about nVidias drivers sometimes, they fix one thing and usually something else breaks, but I guess thats updates in general.

#8 User is offline   Win7boy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2010 - 04:06 AM

View Postpsycolizard, on 02 April 2010 - 04:02 AM, said:

Sorry I didn't check this sooner, I wasn't around. This is the system I am running.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6400+ 3.2ghz
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Vista 64
2x GeForce 8600GTS
McAfee Internet Security Suite
Spybot S&D (including the active scanner TeaTimer)

I don't typically use IE as it has always been slower than some other options, but tried it when my browser first started to crash. Its hard to gauge whether or not it crashes less than the other ones since its a completely random crash. As I said though I've tried IE, Firefox, Chrome, and even Opera, all with the same results. The crashes have no error message they just simply state "'Browser Name Here' has crashed, would you like to restart?". Scans always turn up negative and no other symptoms of malware have ever presented themselves. I have tried disabling all plugins etc. with no results. Computer is just over a year old and I built it myself. It did not do this from the beginning but has been doing it a couple months now. Vista has alot of processes running at all times and Ive looked through them, nothing out of the ordinary from what I see.

Since your using VISTA,u should upgrade to Win7.Then after that ,get Chrome 4.0 stable or Chrome 5.0 beta or at that time then get Chrome 5.0 stable or Chrome 6.0 beta.

Chrome all the way.
Desktop: Antec 1200,i7 4770k,2x2TB WD Black,240GB Corsair SSD,128GB Samsung 840 Pro,2x Sapphire Radeon Toxic 6GB 7970's,16GB Gskills 1600Mhz RAM,Corsair AX1200,Asus Z87 Pro Mobo,120hz QX2710 1440p monitor
Laptop:Samsung Series 7 Chronos,2x Dell inspirons
Samsung Galaxy Note 3,32GB,3GB RAM,And 100% AOSP Goodness
New nexus 10...soon....(once google announces it)

#9 User is offline   psycolizard 

• Pip

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

I'm doubting that its a vista issue, my laptop runs on vista and doesnt have this problem. As to me saying it wasnt happening anymore, I suppose I just got lucky for a while because it is doing it again. I apologize for the great delay but i keep forgetting to check this. I do use chrome, have used chrome, and prefer chrome. I only used the others to test and see if they crashed too, which they do. In-program browsers (such as xfire) dont seem to have the problem though. I just cant figure this one out. Itl be a real hassle if I have to reformat this, as its a whitebox pc that I built myself. A lot of data to back up if I do, and I just dont have the storage to do so. -.-

#10 User is offline   dragon69 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members_

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

View Postpsycolizard, on 05 May 2010 - 09:25 AM, said:

I'm doubting that its a vista issue, my laptop runs on vista and doesnt have this problem. As to me saying it wasnt happening anymore, I suppose I just got lucky for a while because it is doing it again. I apologize for the great delay but i keep forgetting to check this. I do use chrome, have used chrome, and prefer chrome. I only used the others to test and see if they crashed too, which they do. In-program browsers (such as xfire) dont seem to have the problem though. I just cant figure this one out. Itl be a real hassle if I have to reformat this, as its a whitebox pc that I built myself. A lot of data to back up if I do, and I just dont have the storage to do so. -.-

a while back ( Spybot S&D (including the active scanner TeaTimer)) was causing some problems

can you disable it ( check in the task manager to make the TeaTimer and other parts of Spybot S&D are not running )

and see if your browsers stop crashing if so then you may need to use some other anti spyware program

wish i could be of more help
Take Care and Good Luck

:-)

#11 User is offline   TonyXie 

• PipPip

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:15 PM

This problem may be caused by software conflict or virus, quite common problems.I think you shuold run the anti-virus software.If no virus is found ,You'd better reinstal your OS.

#12 User is offline   AgentF 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

View PostTonyXie, on 22 August 2010 - 07:15 PM, said:

If no virus is found ,You'd better reinstal your OS.
That's an extravagant suggestion from such little discussion that has taken place, don't you think?
Would you be interested in contributing to the PCWorld Wiki?

Learn how to edit pages and even create new ones.

#13 User is offline   ZeroTiger 

• PipPip

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

Sounds like malware/spyware or a virus. Also double check your TCP/IP settings, make sure those are correct.
Spybot S&D is good, but it doesn't always catch everything. Try Super Anti-Spyware or ComboFix. Careful with ComboFix though, it is pretty powerful.

#14 User is offline   dougwill132 

• Pip

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:11 AM

I had the same problem with FireFox and IE locking up. "Here's How" of the Oct 2010 suggests it could be the corrupted Flash Player plugin. It says to uninstall Flash Player with the utility found at find.pcworld/70437 and then reinstalling it. I did it and both browsers now work flawlessly without locking up. Give it a try.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users